Forums Latest Members
  1. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 30, 2012

Respectable Members

Since it will take some while before I am able to find a factory-original 300m 166.024 or 120m 166.073, I intend to buy for my 'boss' a ladies vintage-watch, meanwhile. It will be her first and hopefully, it will stop at that - again hopefully, she will not contract our contagious disease.

It so happens, one of friends' husband is a vintage-watch lover / casual-dealer. He has given to her the pictures of two watches. Of course, I can only buy my better-half, one of them.

Kindly look at the pictures, one an Omega in 18k solid white gold and another a Lady-Datejust in 18k solid yellow gold. Between the two, which do you think she will choose (maybe, the lady enthusiasts may give their view/s). Also, please advise, whether the dial of both the watches are factory-original and had not been tampered with.

Thank-you.

omega-tonneau.gif Rolex Lady-Datejust .JPG

Edited by a mod Jul 10, 2021
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 30, 2012

That first one looks so much like a Hamilton... the dial on that Rolex looks awful.

3. ulackfocus Oct 30, 2012

The Omega is probably a redial. Did they have SWISS MADE on the dials back then? Regardless, she won't be concerned with original or refinished dials and it's the prettier watch. Chicks do know the power of a name brand and Rolex has it over Omega - and all others too.

4. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 30, 2012

If the first is indeed being offered by the notorious Marcus Hardy, I would pass. Too many issues with his watches overall, and they tend to be way overpriced. I think I recognize his photographic style...

5. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 30, 2012

I think they sometimes did, Dennis.

I think this of mine is original, or if not it's one of the best redials I've seen, and I'm not ashamed to wear it. Also, I've seen it often on the older ones with porcelain dials.

[​IMG]

astrosfan likes this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 30, 2012

You're not kidding, that's stunning

astrosfan likes this.
  7. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 30, 2012

Respectable Member dsio

As for the Omega, yes it looks like a Hamilton. Of course, we will have to inspect its movement, if my better-half wants it. As for the Rolex its dial is a little 'bubbling', I reckon.

Anyway, it is the 'boss' who is going to choose.

Thank-you.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 30, 2012

Having found out that my dad's Constellation dial is bubbling in a similar way, I'd never buy another watch with that issue again personally. It just concerns me somewhat that once its started it'll get worse over time.

9. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 30, 2012

Respctable Member ulackfocus

Well, she has to choose between the two great names, Omega and Rolex. At the end of the day, she will consult her friends, to find out what they have, I think.

I have looked closely at the subsidiary dial of the Omega from the picture given, yes it is definitely a refinished job.

Thank-you.

10. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Oct 30, 2012

Personally I wouldn't buy any of them. There are better Datejust examples out there and I would pass on the Omega like Adam said.

11. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 30, 2012

Respectable Member adam78

It is a beautiful watch and definitely you will be proud to put it on your wrist. The 'SWISS MADE' is not centered or is it my eyes, playing up?

Thank-you.

12. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 30, 2012

It looks centered to me, according to the minute track...but your eyes may be playing tricks as I used a diagonal photo?

13. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 30, 2012

Respectable Member kyle L

All the comments in this forum, I shall not relay to her because she will only listen to what her friends say. I prefer to buy her a vintage-watch, not necessarily any of those two which her friend's husband has to offer.

We can at least easily predict what the auction results will be in our forthcoming federal elections in Australia. However, to read the mind of the 'boss' is not that easy, I reckon.

Thank-you.

14. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 30, 2012

Respectable Member adam78

You may be right.

My eyes have been over-used and long overdue for an major over-haul. However spare parts are pretty expensive and I would rather get a vintage-watch, than spend the money to repair my eyes - that is if I had the $$!

Thank-you.

15. ulackfocus Oct 30, 2012

16. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 30, 2012

Respectable Member ulackfocus

I am just excitedly waiting for the decision she is going to make. Of course, if I need the alternative, I shall apply yours. Good idea.

Thank-you.

17. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 1, 2012

Respectable Member kyle L

True to what you said, my better-half does not want any of them.

Her 'consultants' have advised her, 'get a new watch'. I hope, she will not choose anything that is too expensive.

I think, it is an uphill battle to get most of the ladies to fall in love with vintage-watches. We have a small number here in our forum and I think, this is great.

Thank-you.

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 1, 2012

Respectable Seamonster, I have had more success picking out a handbag for my wife than a watch. Perhaps you should just guide her where to look and let her do the rest.

19. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Nov 1, 2012

Respectable Seamonster,

I believe women just love new things. The only old thing they will stick to are probably their husbands.:p

20. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 1, 2012

Respectable Member cicindela

Yes, I shall guide her and give her the money. She can either go alone or with her sister, since I cannot imagine taking a new watch home, especially a Tag-Heur since I have seen this brand-name on some of her close friends' wrist. Though Tag-Heur is popular, I do not know where lies its beauty.

Thank-you.