Buying a Seamaster 300 2254.50 - but from Japan?

I want another Omega to compliment my Speedmaster Broad Arrow - 3594.50.00 and have set my heart on the Seamaster 300 2254.50 (or 22545000 - whatever the right reference is?) A stunning watch IMHO.

I've found a watch (full set) in Europe, but it is originally from Japan. Having looked at prices over there they tend to be at least €1000-1500+ cheaper and in the US watch prices are cheaper than in Europe, but then we have to pay tax/import duty to get them sent to Europe (and even in the UK - thanks to BREXIT ).

So my questions are; Is this worth pursuing (should I be aware of anything?) Are there any differences in Japanese watches or is it just worth getting a cheaper watch without box and papers and just enjoy it. It's not an investment, although that's in the back of my mind?

Thanks in advance.
Edited:

An Omega SM300 originally sold in Japan is the same as one sold elsewhere, if that is your question.

Prices in Japan may be lower because of the weak yen, but that doesn't seem to be your main question since the specific watch you are considering is already in Europe, if I understand correctly.

As far as buying a watch with or without B&P, that's your personal decision.

Like 2
Bracelet watches from Japan are often sized for the original owner's wrist and that means small. Always confirm if ALL the links are included, often they are not and that means you have to buy links to get it to fit. I've bought from Japan via C24 and it was a smooth transaction but you need to add in the freight, duty and taxes to see if it works financially. And there is the "hassle factor" of dealing overseas, it just takes more effort. Sometimes it might not be worth it, people's tolerances for the extra effort, worry, etc vary.
Edited:

Like 4
An Omega SM300 originally sold in Japan is the same as one sold elsewhere, if that is your question.

Prices in Japan may be lower because of the weak yen, but that doesn't seem to be your main question since the specific watch you are considering is already in Europe, if I understand correctly.

As far as buying a watch with or without B&P, that's your personal decision.

Thanks Dan. If a watch comes with B&P do you think that would commmand an extra 15-20% extra?

It’s also my observation that Asian market sellers tend to polish preowned watches prior to sale, sometimes to mixed effect. (American and European sellers sometimes do this too, but it seems more common in Japan and Korea.) Not everyone cares about this—I’m not advising you to avoid if you don’t care—but some of us would prefer an unpolished watch with nice sharp edges from the factory. Posting pictures here will help us to evaluate.

Plenty of threads here and elsewhere about whether box and papers matter. You’ll get no consensus on the issue. Some folks think it’s a dealbreaker if they’re not there—though the premium you mention seems a bit steep. (Yes it does add value when you go sell the watch, but you also have to pay that value when buying, so it’s a wash.) Others, like me, think an expired warranty card is just a useless piece of plastic and a box just takes up space. Having b&p, despite what some people insist on believing, does not establish authenticity or that a watch wasn’t stolen—both (box and papers) are easily bought after the fact online and are far easier to counterfeit than a watch. I wouldn’t worry about them, but as Dan said, up to you.

Like 3
Thanks Dan. If a watch comes with B&P do you think that would commmand an extra 15-20% extra?
If it's a collectible watch like a ST2 Ultraman, yes, but for a mass produced model, no. Some people like a complete set, it's personal preference, but don't overpay for it.

Like 1
It’s also my observation that Asian market sellers tend to polish preowned watches prior to sale, sometimes to mixed effect. (American and European sellers sometimes do this too, but it seems more common in Japan and Korea.) Not everyone cares about this—I’m not advising you to avoid if you don’t care—but some of us would prefer an unpolished watch with nice sharp edges from the factory. Posting pictures here will help us to evaluate.

Plenty of threads here and elsewhere about whether box and papers matter. You’ll get no consensus on the issue. Some folks think it’s a dealbreaker if they’re not there—though the premium you mention seems a bit steep. (Yes it does add value when you go sell the watch, but you also have to pay that value when buying, so it’s a wash.) Others, like me, think an expired warranty card is just a useless piece of plastic and a box just takes up space. Having b&p, despite what some people insist on believing, does not establish authenticity or that a watch wasn’t stolen—both (box and papers) are easily bought after the fact online and are far easier to counterfeit than a watch. I wouldn’t worry about them, but as Dan said, up to you.

Hey, thanks so much for the detailed reply. Respect your views and always nice to have some feedback!

Like 1
There is a constant quantity of good quality watches coming from Japan. Equally there is some trash within that quantity. Descriptions from high volume resellers are often limited so do your research and make your own mind up from the pictures.
Agree on checking bracelet length as more often than not it’s sub7”.

Like 3
I've bought from Japan a few times. In all instances, the experience was good. But, as you know, any savings gets blunted by taxes and import duties.

Like 3
The Japanese market is a good place to find watches. Omega is popular there and consequently there are alot of used watches. While people do polish watches, it's often because they like nice watches and take care of them. So it's like anywhere, there are beat up pieces but also there tend to be more decent watches available.

I also just discovered the 2254.50 last week. A friend had one and I tried it one. That took me to reading more about it and it is a very appealing.

I can recommend @krogerfoot to help you find a watch in Japan. He lives there and has helped me locate watches and bracelets. Try looking at yahoo auctions using the english version to search for vendors. Closer sells a lot and tends to have good prices. They also don't seem to primp their watches for sale, which means they don't ruin a watch by polishing but you may also need to get it serviced.

These are generalizations, but you shouldn't fear or avoid the Japanese market. Just the opposite. At tge same time, just like anywhere, you need to be thoughtful of any purchase.

Good luck and good hunting. Have you read Ash's stories here on the 2254 and other related stories about early Seamasters? They're pretty good.

Like 6
Since the OP is in the UK, some of you are perhaps not helping by ignoring the import implications here. Yes the watch he is looking at may well be nice and might be $1K cheaper than back home but the landed price to him of a Jpn or EU or wherever market piece is maybe 25% higher than the screen price with zero return possibility (whereas a local watch could be returned). I have successfully brought in watches myself from Japan but don't let the screen price beguile you. Oh and by the way the Japanese sellers can scam and over describe stuff too, but in the main less so than elsewhere.

In short, it might work out for you or it might not. You may bring in a minter or you might bring in a minger needing £500-£1K spending to replace either bracelet or bezel or crystal or all three. Bear in mind that nice 2254s are available in the UK at £2k to £2.5K is the saving from Japan really worth the risk at present?
Edited:

Like 4
The OP's question is confusing, because he mentioned a Japanese-market watch that is in Europe, and then brought up the topic of prices in Japan, which seems to be a totally separate issue.

Anyway, when buying from Japan, I agree that one should do one's due diligence with respect to import taxes/VAT and also the seller's reputation. I buy watches on a Japanese auction site pretty frequently using a proxy site to bid for me, receive the item, and ship it. It is virtually impossible to make a return or even to communicate with the actual seller before the sale or after the fact, even if the item is a total fake or there is some sort of fraud. You can't even leave negative feedback for the seller. One may be able to reverse the charges with PayPal, but that will generally end your relationship with the proxy service permanently. So it's not for the risk-averse.

Like 1
Since the OP is in the UK, some of you are perhaps not helping by ignoring the import implications here. Yes the watch he is looking at may well be nice and might be $1K cheaper than back home but the landed price to him of a Jpn market piece is maybe 25% higher than the screen price with zero return possibility (whereas a local watch could be returned). I have successfully brought in watches myself from Japan but don't let the screen price beguile you. Oh and by the way the Japanese sellers can scam and over describe stuff too, but in the main less so than elsewhere.

In short, it might work out for you or it might not. You may bring in a minter or you might bring in a minger needing £500-£1K spending to replace either bracelet or bezel or crystal or all three. Bear in mind that nice 2254s are available in the UK at £2k to £2.5K is the saving from Japan really worth the risk at present?
And you’ll be hit with import duties most probably.

Like 1
And you’ll be hit with import duties most probably.
That is what I meant by the 25% increase for landed price. The same applies more or less to a watch in the EU imported in to the UK. The happy Brexit dividend keeps on giving.
Edited:

Like 2
The Japanese market is a good place to find watches. Omega is popular there and consequently there are alot of used watches. While people do polish watches, it's often because they like nice watches and take care of them. So it's like anywhere, there are beat up pieces but also there tend to be more decent watches available.

I also just discovered the 2254.50 last week. A friend had one and I tried it one. That took me to reading more about it and it is a very appealing.

I can recommend @krogerfoot to help you find a watch in Japan. He lives there and has helped me locate watches and bracelets. Try looking at yahoo auctions using the english version to search for vendors. Closer sells a lot and tends to have good prices. They also don't seem to primp their watches for sale, which means they don't ruin a watch by polishing but you may also need to get it serviced.

These are generalizations, but you shouldn't fear or avoid the Japanese market. Just the opposite. At tge same time, just like anywhere, you need to be thoughtful of any purchase.

Good luck and good hunting. Have you read Ash's stories here on the 2254 and other related stories about early Seamasters? They're pretty good.
Many thanks for the detailed reply.

Like 1
Many thanks for the detailed reply.

I just bought this, thanks to @krogerfoot.

Money where your mouth is. I'm very happy with the buy. Getting a service right away, as it still has the red dot. Seller never wore it.

2254.50 looks like the perfect Seamaster and is a bargain. I don't own a modern Seamaster, as I don't care for the skeleton hands and wave dials. This 2254 is killer. The wave is subtle, even disappearing at angles. The lume and sword hands are so perfectly vintage but without the crazy vintage cost. Chronometer rated. Just an insane bargain. And it's thin. Can't wait to get it in hand.

Good hunting.

i-img900x1200-16927209681bxvzi2696932 (1).jpg i-img1200x900-1692720968lowzil2696932 (2).jpg20230829_194302.jpg Screenshot_20230829_194345_Chrome.jpg

Like 4