Buying a Rolex 16600

I am literally about to take the plunge and seriously consider buying a 16600 from 2008. It is a bit that the watch has found me, more than that I was looking for it, as it has mostly been recently. Vintage Rolex' have been a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine that you look at, when nobody's watching, but I have not been attracted to the more modern models, except for the Sea Dweller. It has this vintage Submariner vibe to me (60s to 80s), in a modern package.

The only problem is, that the price has always been too unreasonable for me to justify, modern and vintage. The whole hype about Rolex, waiting lines, arrogance of sales personnel and volatility of the market was just too much for me to gamble at that level, especially given that I do not have the knowledge to navigate through the minefield that is vintage Rolex.

That being said, I feel that the entire market has come down, but I am in no way part of it, so this is just an observation in my peripheral vision. And that is, why I would like to ask the fellow members, who are more involved in this for their kind help.

The story goes again, that I visited my watchmaker to drop a Speedmaster off for service and made the mistake to have a look into the safe. Rolex? Yes, I'll have a look out of curiosity...but it really struck me.

So here it goes, this is a 2008 Rolex Sea Dweller 16600. As far as I can tell, there are no signs of improper maintenance (read: polish) and it has been worn, properly, but not in an insensible way. Personally, I do not mind the look of a worn tool-watch, if it doesn't have deep groves and retains its pride. Like the difference between patina and damage, which will be personal. Also, this gives me a chance on the price. Which is, where we get to the poodle's core: What is a fair price for the particular example. The ten thousand dollar question, kind of.

To close the loop, this is where i feel confused, as i have always felt that there was a larger than normal gap between the transaction price and asking prices for Rolex, which intensified recently. There are still a ton of people, having bought them two years ago, now hoping to recover the loses. This guy is the first owner and it comes as a full set.
His expectations is in my opinion on the high side and I feel like the bottom would be 8.5k
I have done some research and feel that this might be a fair deal, should we come close to the price. I also appreciate that it is local and my watchmaker can check it for service requirements, which I would make part of the deal. My expectations is not to have it as an investment, but to wear it, not care too much and have a fair deal on both sides.

I very much appreciate any input (can be PM), as this is kind of out of my usual scope and obviously a lot of money for a mass produced, time only, stainless steel time piece. But it has obviously some fairy dust that is hard to deny.

2023-11-07 15.43.04.jpg 2023-11-07 15.43.18.jpg 2023-11-07 15.43.26.jpg 2023-11-07 15.43.30.jpg

Like 4
8.5k what?
Yes, sorry, 8.5k USD converted. The watch is in the EU though, where the prices tend to be a bit above US.

It's not a crazy price, but not a huge bargain. Based on a few photos, the watch looks honest, but somewhat worn.

Like 2
It's not a crazy price, but not a huge bargain. Based on a few photos, the watch looks honest, but somewhat worn.
Thank you for your assessment, Dan. It is always appreciated. And yes, that is exactly how I feel about it, which is not a bad thing. Like I said, it doesn't need to be a bargain, just a fair price. The seller asks for 10k, I'd jump on it, if the number would start with a low/mid 7. But that is just my assessment as a Rolex layman.
The important thing to me is, that it is not polished, which I am positive about. The pictures show the worst parts. The bracelet and clasp are surprisingly clean.

I have the same reference. Don’t let 40mm fool you. It is top heavy. It wears and feels similarly to a 44mm Panerai. It’s nowhere near as comfortable as the Submariner or Speedy. I have a 6.75 flat wrist, my SD does not like me. If the seller is cool with you, ask if you can test drive it for the weekend.

4290A314-55BB-4CDE-9832-8EB6C7896A5A.jpeg

I kid you not, the 42mm solid gold PO wears more comfortable than the 40mm ss SD. Then again, I curse my flat wrist.
IMG_7079.jpeg
Edited:

Like 2
Yeah, let's better not make this about my wrist, that is practically non existent. When there's a will there's a way... :)
Jokes aside, I appreciate the warning and will try it on. I could not resize the bracelet, so there was no way to try properly. It strikes me as being smaller than a Submariner though, but I haven't seen them side by side.

fwr.jpg

The SD is about the same diameter as a Sub, but significantly thicker. I'm also not really a fan of the way it wears.

Like 2
I must be somehow masochistic, as I rather enjoy wearing thick watches like the Fortis B42 chronographs, false Jedi, etc. I like to be aware of the watch I wear. Similarly, I find myself enjoying shooting my Nikon F2 more than my FM or Olympus OM4, etc. I must be compensating, which might make me feel right at home in the Rolex world. :D
But I prefer my bicycles and cars small and light, so there is some logic to the madness.

But there's only one way to find out. I will visit the shop on Monday to close the deal or to walk. Price will be the major factor for me though.

Like 2
My holygrail watch, hopefully I could buy one someday

Is everyone sure it hasn't been polished? I am no expert on Rolexes and the pictures aren't great but ... I wonder if it's had a light rubbin'...

Like 1
The case is solid. Has it been polished? Maybe but the case is quite full. Scratched up but quite ok.

Like 1
i wouldnt say its unpolished. The lines of the case are definitely a little soft, but that is the beauty of the seadweller, its a tank, it can take some polishes before the original lines are totally gone.

Like 1
i wouldnt say its unpolished. The lines of the case are definitely a little soft, but that is the beauty of the seadweller, its a tank, it can take some polishes before the original lines are totally gone.

Yeah, the reason I point it out though, is the OP says above: "The important thing to me is, that it is not polished, which I am positive about."

Like 1
I purchased a 16600 after selling my 114060 and found that it wore similarly to the sub. Although it is thicker than the sub, that is due to the thicker case back, which tends to snuggle into the wrist. At least that was my impression. I moved on from the SD when I got a chance to get a 124060 from an AD. Needless to say that I prefer the sub, but really enjoyed the SD in the time that I owned it. Lastly, I think $8.5K would be a fair price for that SD. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Like 2
Yeah, the reason I point it out though, is the OP says above: "The important thing to me is, that it is not polished, which I am positive about."
Thanks, I should clarify, as there is a saying that there is no such thing as an unpolished Rolex. I meant that I would not want to have an obviously polished watch, as seems to be the case with most of the watches on the market and almost all dealer offerings.

Like 3
I have the same reference.
Could you maybe post a closeup of one of the top lugs to compare with the pictures that I posted to compare the chamfer?

I have the 16660 which is similar to the 16600 and I find it very comfortable to wear. It is thicker than my Speedy but, still very comfortable to me.

Like 2

then op will need to cough up a bit more

then op will need to cough up a bit more
Maybe if it were the sole value-determining factor, but as others pointed out, there´s other things too.