Forums Latest Members

Buying a new moonwatch and need some advice

1. andrewlynch Nov 20, 2019

Hi all, I'm here as I need some advice. I dont own any Omega's and only bought myself any significant watches the last two years so a lot to learn.

I have a brother who is having his first child in a month, he is a big watch guy and has always had an interest in getting a moonwatch, although he was always considering various vintage options. I wanted to as a present to commemorate his first kid get him a new one, so he could be the custodian of the watch until the 18th birthday and then it be passed down to him as a present from his dad, bought by his uncle and create a whole story.

I dont know enough about what im buying though and im concerned ill get the wrong one and it will linger over this present forever which would be a real shame. I want it to be as close to the history of the watch as possible for the modern versions, I did read and watch some reviews but there seem to be some conflicting info ... suggestions would be much appreciated.

chronos likes this.
  2. haganaga Nov 20, 2019

Just get the standard moonwatch, hesalite glass. Easy peasy.

Texans93 likes this.
  3. RI Omega Fan Nov 20, 2019

FE5882B2-BD1F-4F1E-902C-E1104B1FA126.jpeg
    Yes, I agree. Buy a basic modern 005, new with warranty. I got 22% off Omega’s $5350 MSRP at a local jeweler and authorized distributor. I’m far too stupid and afraid to dive into the vintage watch world, and would no doubt get ripped off by some schmuck on flea-bay. As fascinating as it is to learn on this forum about all the old references, limited editions, and all the other Speedmaster iterations, I’m 100% happy with mine.

AND, that’s pretty damn nice of you - I wish you were my brother!

4. Risto Nov 20, 2019

This is definitely good choice and if he does not own one - go for it!
    The only thing that I'd suggest is to wear it, not store it. 18 years of memories on the watch is more valuable than NOS. I bought mine when my girl was born and hopefully one day she'll appreciate that old speedy her old man wore. Need some scratches on that watch!

FOIS is also a good gift!

DSCF1274_1-sm.jpg

5. stuart70 Nov 20, 2019

Yes, either FOIS or standard 005 are great choices

Davidt likes this.
  6. artek Nov 20, 2019

That's a great pic. If you don't mind me asking what strap is that? Thanks.

RI Omega Fan likes this.
  7. absoluteczech Nov 20, 2019

8. RI Omega Fan Nov 20, 2019

Thanks for asking. It’s a B&R Band. Specifically, their Horween Classic Vintage leather band. I believe the one in my photo is dark blue. I also have it in forest green and black. Forest green is actually my favorite - it looks amazing on my Speedmaster. Great autumn/fall color! Here’s their stock photo of it ~
    upload_2019-11-20_13-27-58.jpeg
    Check out all the great photos of Speedmasters on their website. I have no affiliation other than being a repeat customer. Free plug for these guys!

https://www.bandrbands.com/Classic-Vintage-Watch-Bands.aspx

9. artek Nov 20, 2019

This is great, will definitely check them out. Thanks for sharing.

rockin'ron and RI Omega Fan like this.
  10. goggs Nov 20, 2019

Wish i was smart/wise enough to do this fir my kids. I have a chance for the grand kids at some point!!!

11. PhilF Nov 20, 2019

Texans93 likes this.
  12. gostang9 Nov 20, 2019

$3700 - trusted seller, this is what I’d do...

https://omegaforums.net/threads/201...nal-311-30-42-30-01-005-new-old-stock.104719/

chronos and Mad Dog like this.
  13. ilayd Nov 20, 2019

As gostang9 suggested, there are a lot of trusted sellers in the Watches For Sale section. One of them being Kringkily. Another is @demollo. He typically has the lowest price here on the forum, BUT the watch ships out of Europe. I purchased mine from him and couldnt be happier. Came brand new with warranty and all the items the watch normally comes with.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/bni...oonwatch-hesalite-311-30-42-30-01-005.101405/

As to the watch itself, especially if your brother is a watch enthusiast, go for the regular Speedy with the Hesalite glass. I was torn deciding between the Hesalite and the Sapphire crystal version... but when I saw both in person, it was Hesalite hands down. Google "speedmaster milky ring" if it peaks your interest.

demollo, PhilF and gostang9 like this.
  14. g-rex Nov 21, 2019

I’m looking for a 005 Speedmaster too. Good luck! I’ve contacted a trusted seller here that is close to me that would allow for a F2F transaction and received no response. I’ve been here a couple of years but admittedly have a low post count. Not sure if that’s the reason or something else. Frustrating so just be prepared that some of the sellers are apparently picky who they choose to respond to with questions or even deal with.

15. JeremyS Nov 21, 2019

Speedy Pro hesalite gets my vote. I bought one this past summer, and love it. I was a bit paranoid about the crystal at first, but it's something that passes. Purchased from a trusted seller with the warranty card, and no issues. Good luck on your search. It gets the most attention among all the watches I own, and makes for a great conversation starter. I was actually in REI last weekend, and one of the sales persons asked me about it, which led to another guy wearing a Sinn 103, and another with a Sub.

16. BradleyJ. Nov 21, 2019

@Kringkily dealt with me when I had a low post count (I'm still low, but I mean really low at the time) I want to say he's out of NY but I could be mistaken. Great seller to deal with.

17. g-rex Nov 21, 2019

He is who I contacted. Maybe he is out of pocket, but you would expect someone to mention that if they put up for sale post.

Edited Nov 21, 2019
  18. gostang9 Nov 21, 2019

Keep in mind sellers may have another business / career and certainly everyone has a life that may take priority from time to time.

Also may get many messages and one might slip through.

mikekchc likes this.
  19. Au79 Aluminium Nov 21, 2019

I really don't think there is any wrong choice here. Whatever watch you get, it is such a nice gesture from you to create a legacy in your family. Having said that, I also think the classic hesalite standard moon watch is the way to go. It will never age.

20. roman9662 Nov 21, 2019

One explanation g rex could be a relative unknown individual interested in a f2f cash transaction might be something a seller would pass on in today's world.
    I believe the vast majority of the transactions on the OF are conducted through bank wire transfers and insured shipments.
    Maybe that approach would be more fruitful.
    Getting ripped off can happen to either party.
    As you well know you're not talking about chomp change.
    Kringkily has a respected reputation as a seller.
    Don't take it personally, it could be that simple, not engaging could be the seller's approach to such situations.
    BTW, the .005 Moonwatch would be a great choice.
    You're a good thoughtful brother! Oops, I mixed you up with the originator in the last two liner. Too much beer is my excuse!

Edited Nov 21, 2019