Forums Latest Members
  1. 34Ford Apr 8, 2020

Hi im new and this is my second post here.
    I have an Omega 30T2 serial # 10282205 that has a bit of history.
    My father was an insurance assessor years ago and this was a claim when it fell off the client's arm into the incinerator.
    As you can see, it is looking the worse for wear and has lost the glass.
    But after sitting in the cupboard for over 50 years, it still works when it is wound. Incredible. That always amazed my dad.
    I assume it is from the 1940's, but could be wrong.
    Trying to get more information on it and ideas of what i should do with it now?
    Any suggestions welcomed.
    IMG_6380.JPG IMG_6386.JPG IMG_6384.JPG

Deafboy, Omegafanman, Etp095 and 12 others like this.
  2. joe band Apr 9, 2020

i'd service the movement, clean up the case, put a new crystal on it, strap it up and rock that survivor!
    i wouldn't polish the case, as much as clean it up. the dial i'd assume is very fragile paintwise, i'd see if it could be stabilized or just lightly dusted off.
    what a great story, i'm honestly surprised it's taken 50 yrs to want to get it back on a wrist.

Spacefruit, DJG2645, baac and 4 others like this.
  3. 34Ford Apr 9, 2020

Thanks for your suggestions, i was thinking the same. Leave it with its story to tell. Testament to Omega engineering.
    I was trying to find an original photo of the model to see what it actually looked like from the factory, but I haven't been able to find one.
    It is a shame, but the back of the case is missing a bit of its internal lip, so getting it to seal will be an issue.
    I had heard the story from dad before but hadn't seen it for years. I also have an Omega 234SC that is working and will probable do similar with that. That is in another post.
    You can't say they don't have patena!

joe band likes this.
  4. ZIELSZIEK Apr 10, 2020

Since it's a 102xxxxx numbered piece, I'm guessing that it is from late 1944.
    I don't think many people can say they have a watch that fell down an incinerator and still works, so that definitely makes it unique.
    If you don't mind me chiming in, I'd say that if you decide to get it restored, try to get it as good as it reasonably can but don't push it. Make sure to have somebody proper working on it.
    Luckily, you are on the Omega Forums and you can use the search function to see how this would have looked back in the day. Many members here have such nice pieces.
    Make sure to keep us posted as I'm definitely intrigued by your watch and I would like to see how it would turn out.
    Great story!

Edited Apr 10, 2020
  5. Candle00 Apr 10, 2020

Now that's one hell of a restoration project......good luck!

6. 34Ford Apr 10, 2020

Thanks for your replies. I haven’t been able to find a picture of the same model. But I’ll keep trying. It would be nice to see what it once looked like.
    I didn’t realise there were so many different models for the same 30T2 model.

7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 10, 2020

COOL!

I have a cal. 601 Seamaster that wears a bad redial, I may just pop it on the Coleman for a bit.

give 'er some patina!

Rman likes this.
  8. 34Ford Apr 10, 2020

It does tend to give them a new look :)

9. Transitus Apr 10, 2020

Great story. This watch should absolutely rise up like a Phoenix from the flames.

10. 34Ford Apr 10, 2020

I can only hope. Nothing like a challenge. It would be great to have it back on a wrist and out in daylight again.

11. 34Ford Apr 18, 2020

Does anyone know what replacement crystal this takes?
    I can't find any pictures of the exact same model to see what it should look like. Does anyone have any?
    Cheers

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 18, 2020

Since this case looks like some sort of “national production”, that is, made under license outside of Switzerland, it is unlikely you can find an Omega part to fit.

Watches this old generally did not have signed crystals, so a generic would be perfectly OK.

Let your watchmaker guide you. We would love to see the “after” pictures.

Good luck with the restoration.
    gatorcpa

13. 34Ford Apr 19, 2020

Hi Gatorcpa,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I will do.
    I guess the crystal is one of the last things I need, but just starting to find the parts. Be nice to get it finished.

14. 34Ford Apr 19, 2020

Would anyone have a parts diagram or service guide for these, as I am missing one of the face screws.
    I could probably source one from a a watchmaker, as I assume it would be fairly universal.

I have it stripped and it is in good condition with little to no wear.
    The joys of sitting in the cupboard for so long i guess.
    Now starts the clean up and reassembly.
    Going out hunting for oil and cleaner today.
    Any places in Perth WA that you would recommend?

There seems to be quite a lot of different thoughts on cleaning fluid.
    I have an ultrasonic cleaner, but open to any recommendations, preferably ones that are easy to get.
    Also looking at buying a Timegrapher. I have seen the Multifunction Timegrapher No.1000 on eBay. What are your thoughts on these, I see there are a few different models. I also see there are some that you connect to the PC. Does anyone have any recommendations, it is for a hobby so cost is important, but so is accuracy.

Thanks again

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 20, 2020

If you are referring to the screw for the dial, the part number you need is 72200002167.

Als 27 likes this.
  16. 34Ford Apr 21, 2020

Great thanks for that. I'll track one down.

17. 34Ford Apr 24, 2020

There seems to be varying opinions as to what oil to use for what components.
    Does anyone have a specific service manual for these or able to say which oils.
    I have found the following,
    9104 for the barrel arbor, centre wheel pivot,
    9101 for the train wheel picots, 3rd and escape wheel and D-5 For the rest.
    What do you recommend, as I have to buy all the oils and start from scratch.

Any help greatly appreciated.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 25, 2020

Have a look at any ETA tech guide, and follow what they do there. For example the 6497 will be a good guide for a manual winding time only watch like this.

19. 34Ford May 1, 2020

Brilliant Thanks again.

20. 34Ford Jul 8, 2020

Hi everyone,
    Is there anywhere In can download a parts list for this 30T2?
    I looked on Cousins UK website but couldn't find anything.
    I thought the 30T2 was quite a common movement, but maybe it's being fitted in a generic case, that makes it harder?
    Any leads greatly appreciated. I just want it more as a reference.
    Also, I can get a 150 x 14 x 320 main spring, but not the 150 x 14 x 340 that I think was the original.
    Would this cause issues or just need winding a bit sooner?
    Thanks again for any help.