Forums Latest Members
  1. The Kid Dec 24, 2016

I am a newer collector of Omega watches. I purchased this watch on eBay. It is my first purchase of a Bumper and I understand how the movement works and that it makes some sound due to the bouncing off the springs. This watch is in excellent physical condition. The case, crystal and movement have no wear at all and it keeps very good time but it makes makes a significant "thump sound" when the watch is moved back and forth.
    It is a lot more than a rattle, so I am thinking perhaps it has a problem with controlling the speed of the watches movement.
    Any thoughts that might help me out.
    Thanks and happy holidays to you all.

2. Vitezi Dec 24, 2016

3. The Kid Dec 24, 2016

Sorry you can't think without pictures. That must be an awful disease! Also, Thanks for the lesson on respect. Fortunately my parents were very good doing that well over 60 yrs ago. Based on your note to me you must have missed the lesson.
    While I only started collecting Omega watches about 18 months ago, I have managed to put together a small 13 chronometers only collection from the 1940s and 1950s, including five Cal. 30T2 Rg watches, 3 in 18K,1 in 14k and 1 in S/S. I have a total collection of about 115 watches collected over the past 40 yrs, 90% from the 1920s - 1940s.
    While I don't know crap about Bumpers I am looking for a little help without a lesson on the rules of the road, I know a whole lot about wind up watches. Some of which you might find interesting if I decide to hang around after this first experience.
    So, if there are any Bumper Fans out there, who can answer my simple question on the sounds that Bumpers should and shouldn't make, I would be happy to hear from you. But since I collect watches and not photos, I have nothing to show you on this watch I just received today, and think I have a problem with.

4. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Dec 24, 2016

Bumpers can make different sounds and photos of the movement help members of the forum diagnose if the sound is expected. Videos would be even better. There could be play in the bumper weight causing to to rattle against the case back or it could be impacting a bridge as opposed to a bumper spring. We would love to see photos of your collection as that is what is shared here along with knowledge.

The Kid likes this.
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 24, 2016

Not sure what you mean about controlling the speed.

I have several Omega bumper movements and on some you can easily feel the movement "bumping" and others you can't.

I think this is more of a function of the thickness of the case than anything else. However, if you have a question, no harm in letting a watchmaker look at it.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

6. The Kid Dec 25, 2016

Thanks for your input. As I said, I really don't know anything about bumper movements, or automatic movements either. Other than a 1966 Seamaster 24j 554 Chronograph and a 1999 Seamater Professional Chronometer I have no automatic movement watches at all. My entire collection is made of wind up watches. In those two automatic watches I can hear that something is going on but in this bumper, when I turn my wrist I can feel the movement go from one side to the other in a mater of one second and hit the spring. It is like it is in free fall and I don't know if that is correct or not. Also if I shake the watch a bit it rattles inside like the movement is loose,but it isn't.The movement has a Geneva mirror finish on it and it looks almost mint. It is an 18K almost mint watch!?
    Not knowing anything about how this watch should sound and feel in frustrating, but the watch keeps perfect time and will go over 24 hours on a manual wind. I plan on taking it to a watchmaker, but was hoping someone would have a clue to what is going on. It seems weird.
    I would really appreciate any further input anyone has

7. The Kid Dec 25, 2016

Thanks for your reply. When I said I collect watches, not photos I was serious. I started collecting them so long ago there were no cell phones, or even computers for that matter. I have a system for cataloging and storage. I have never sold a watch I have bought so it all works pretty well. I know I am antique, but thats what I am. By the way I just took delivery of another 1944 14k Chronograph Cal. 30T2 Rg. It was the one. It was the one model I was missing in the group. I just responded with more details to GatorCPA . I don't know if they help, but I would appreciate you looking at them. Thank you so much, and Merry Christmas!

Giff2577 likes this.
  8. The Kid Dec 25, 2016

I just spent half an hour to try to give you an enhanced picture of the movement. Your site wants it in a pdf format but I only have it in a jpg. My images are all downloaded and stored in a pdf format. I also use a MAC, so I don't know if that adds to the problem. If anyone can give me a solution other than get my camera out and start taking phots please let me know. Thanks again for your attempts to help me. It is greatly appreciated!

9. The Kid Dec 25, 2016

Correct that last statement. You want it in jpg and I have it in pdf. Sorry!

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 25, 2016

The feeling is perfectly normal. I can't speak to the rattling, other than to say if you have a question, let a watchmaker look at it. On some movements this is normal and others it is not.

BTW, I have bumper movement watches from Harwood, LeCoultre, Eterna, Universal, as well as Omega, and they are all the same with respect to the rotor.
    gatorcpa

11. The Kid Dec 25, 2016

Thanks very much for your input. I am definitely going to see my watchmaker. He is going to laugh when I hand him a near mint 70 year old watch that is keeping perfect time and tell him "I want the rattle fixed". Hope you are having a great holiday weekend!

12. TNTwatch Dec 26, 2016

You can take a screenshot of the pictures in the PDF then paste it directly in the reply box. Or save the screenshot as an image format to upload.

felsby and The Kid like this.
  13. ConElPueblo Dec 26, 2016

Yes, I do think we'll enjoy your input here :D

Seriously, looking forward to seeing more - hopefully you'll figure out a way to post a few photos :thumbsup:

The Kid likes this.
  14. The Kid Dec 26, 2016

Thanks so much to TNTwatch for the instructions. After spending another 30 minutes trying to figure out how to do this on my MAC I got the 8 yr old next door to do it for me. I asked for written instructions from him but he said they don't teach cursive in school anymore, but he will text me the details!?
    So here, at last, is my first posted photo. I hope this helps those who wanted to see it. Under a 10x loupe the movement has a high degree of polish that does not show here, but I guess that does not matter.
    I will learn how to send more screenshot photos as I know everyone wants them. Please bare with me, as this is all new to me and the 8 yr old is not always available.Thanks also to ConElPueblo for reaching out with a kind welcome. I will do my best not to disappoint you. To gatorcpa, I am a Florida Boy too!
    I will send more photos of this watch if they will help. In the meantime, if anyone can speculate as to why moving my wrist causes a rattle out of this watch, please chime in.

Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 9.13.48 AM.png
    kkt, chronos, Vitezi and 3 others like this.
  15. The Kid Dec 26, 2016

One last thing. I have decided to hang around this forum so I have posted my AVATAR. It is a photo of me about the time I was nicknamed "The Kid", about 65 yrs ago. While I don't remember being given this name, my 92 yr old mother will tell you I was "cute as a button but bit like a shark". That is open to speculation. Thank you to those who have welcomed me with their words and their knowledge. I will try to return the same.

Vitezi and ConElPueblo like this.
  16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 26, 2016

I'd recommend that you buy the 8-year old a giant bag of Skittles and let him convert your entire PDF library. Although with kids these days, you may need cold hard cash. They are much smarter than we were at that age.

BTW, if you are using the pro version of Adobe Acrobat, you can save any convert any document to or from JPG format. Very easy. Problem is that you need more than just the standard version of Adobe that you download for free.

This website has some conversion software:

http://download.cnet.com/Free-PDF-to-JPG-Converter/3000-18497_4-75728284.html

Go Gators!
    gatorcpa

The Kid and chronos like this.
  17. ConElPueblo Dec 26, 2016

I don't know about the cuteness, but I do appreciate the shark part :D

Welcome on board!

Syrte likes this.
  18. The Kid Dec 26, 2016

Amen brother☠️ and thank you for the compliment.

19. The Kid Dec 26, 2016

Thanks for the advice. The Kid has been taken care of, both Skittles and Cash. He is also researching your Adobe advice. He said if you were old enough to be a CPA you probably were not qualified to recommend software! His words not mine.
    If you saw the uploaded photo I am so proud of doing, do you see anything at all that might be causing the rattle? While I understand the basics of how the watch, as I have repeated numerous times, this is all new to me. The only thing that strikes me, but might mean nothing, is the darkness, probably contact wear on the track ( I don't know what the official term is ) on which I believe the weight travels. Could that be wear or an adjustment problem with the weights? Or am I just looking for black cats in the dark? No need to reply if you see nothing! Thanks.

20. chronos Dec 26, 2016

Hello the Kid!

Nice to see your first posted picture! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    As English is not my mother tongue, I actually don't really know what kind of noise you're exactly describing. And translations are not always that accurate, so bear that disclaimer in mind.
    I have a bumper from a well respected member on this forum and I also wondered about a certain sound. It wasn't the bumbing part, but something else.
    So I brought the watch to a watchmaker and let him take a look at it. He told me that everything was ok. The noise comes from the movement having a bit of play up- and downwards and he told me it was nothing to worry about. I wear the watch on a regular basis for more than half a year now and it keeps perfectly time.
    Is it possible that your watch also makes these sounds when you move them upside-down?

Best, Stephan

Ps: here's a pic of my watch (the only one I have on my phone to upload at the moment...). A connie ref 2652 with a bumper movement 354. I wore it today for our third XMAS celebration this year with my wife's family and I just love this watch :)
    20160316_090759-1.jpg

felsby, The Kid, Vitezi and 1 other person like this.