Forums Latest Members

Broken part or just patina :) Small rant about the used parts market

1. Listentoyoureyes Jan 21, 2020

Hi! Ive been on the hunt for a nice Omega Seamaster 300 bezel for a couple of months now and under my search Ive come across a number of bezels offered that have been in really bad shape, ridiculously overpriced. Today there was a bezel offered for 900 dollars that just made me laugh and cry at the same time:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/283751434161?ViewItem=&item=283751434161Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    s-l1600 (1).jpg

Can we just just agree on not to pay such premiums on bad watch parts? I mean there is enough with the hysteria around Rolex parts already, where people buy broken dials and inserts thinking that they will make tons of money on that in the future. Then 95 percent end up in built up bad redialed frankens that just scratch the eye when you see them, offered for the same price as the original ones, making the market go up. It can look like the market value on parts and watches is higher than it is (Chrono24 and Speedmeister is not really a benchmark so stop using the as one ;)) Can we just keep the Omega Collectors world away from accepting and paying for such poor replacement parts? Yes of course there are rare parts that out there that are hard to find but in the end of it - think about what you are buying. Flat link bracelet - 2k? Bezel - 5k? Great condition that matches the watch? Yes then - indeed - thats the reason you pay that high premium, but not for just matching the part with the correct year/model. There is a reason why certain parts end up in the broken parts bin at a watchmaker.

Just my 2 cents and have a good day fellow collectors!( Except all you parts peddlers on the bay ;))

Samir and Eve like this.
  2. jaguar11 Jan 21, 2020

There are a lot of rediculous prices out there. Something is worth what someone is prepared to pay and there is a someone out there. Things have moved on since the days of Windows 95! I sold a few parts on eBay recently and to be honest I was surprised by the amount people were willing to pay. Good luck with your search for a bezel.

janice&fred likes this.
  3. ConElPueblo Jan 21, 2020

Well, if someone has a bezel-less, heavily worn Seamaster 300, this might transform into something more usable. Prices will adjust according to the market, that's just the way it is.

4. janice&fred Jan 21, 2020

huh?

5. Dgercp Jan 21, 2020

Well, bezel is original and that in itself is something. As @ConElPueblo said, any used part may be of special value to somebody. Best to let
    the market to decide rather than try and unite all OF members to only buy parts that the community finds of fair value:).

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 21, 2020

The price of many of these key parts - bezel, hands, bracelet, dial etc are priced by how much they would increase the value of the watch they will be used for. And while the absolute value may be high they might actually be reasonable if the increase in watch value is higher than the price of the part.

ConElPueblo and michael e like this.