Forums Latest Members

BREAKING NEWS - 50th Anniversary Apollo 11 in Steel Revealed

1. Screwbacks May 17, 2019

overall, the appeal generally looks nice with an appearance of a steel version except for the bezel to emphasize golden anniversary.

Edited May 17, 2019
  2. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it May 17, 2019

I really like it! I can't afford watches like this anymore sadly but yes if I had the notes I would be very serious about buying one. I love pretty much everything about it personally.

garryap17 and fskywalker like this.
  3. zinterz May 17, 2019

I like it. I don't think it's my favourite Speedmaster Moonwatch by any means, but it's very pleasing to the eye.

4. Riviera Paradise May 17, 2019

A good effort and looks to have some nice details and finishing, but trying a bit too hard I think, and I really don't like the Astronaut doing a butt workout on the seconds dial.

Still prefer my Apollo 11 45th and Speedy Tuesday.
    20170916_102829_SpeedyLEs.jpg

I also think the Apollo 8 DSOTM was a more interesting release.

I might still be interested in a 2020 SS Speedy Pro black dial version with a hestalite crystal, 3861 hacking caliber and display case back, if priced at around US$6K. I think that would complement nicely my other two Speedies.

Right now, for 2019, the new IWC Spitfire Chrono with the in-house column wheel movement (Spitfire red text removed from the dial) is probably the only chronograph I will be considering this year, and I will still have to try it on to see if the case thickness is not an issue.

Edited May 17, 2019
  5. Omegafanman May 17, 2019

In some of the shots I love this watch and in others I am not so sure…. Which from past experience means I will end up loving it after a week or two. The 11 O’ clock marker is currently triggering my OCD badly :0). I totally agree the bracelet is a big hit.
    Ultimately it is just another Omega anniversary watch, part of a long journey and not the end of the road but for sure Apollo 50th is special and I probably won’t be here for the 100th so I am thinking about it. Also, I guess like an album you need to consider both releases together. I loved the Moonshine watch immediately but then again I felt the same about the original so that was on much safer if expensive ground and as Apollo showed you have to take risks in design as well ….and what will they do with that 321?
    Sorry but I have to ask the $64K question…..It is a lot of money for this design so it must have a good AD margin built in? if you are one of the early adopters how steep might the depreciation be if any…I don’t flip so long term it tends not to matter but with so many available I wonder if it will be better to buy on the dip (if there is a dip?)

use01.jpg
  6. S.H. May 17, 2019

It may not be easy to unload 7k units of this quickly and efficiently...

As others said, I find it a bit cheesy ("butt workout", love that one !), for almost 10k a bit more understatement and class would not hurt. Some details they got right, but we may never find them on a regular speedy.

BenjaminT likes this.
  7. WatchCor May 17, 2019

I absolutely adore the look of that bracelet. I agree with you totally. The small second subdial makes this a no-go for me at this price point.

I truly hope we can buy that bracelet as a separate, though probably that will also be a limited run.

c2500 likes this.
  8. BenjaminT May 17, 2019

9. S.H. May 17, 2019

As finding nicknames for watches is trendy now, how about choosing this one: Buzz's Butt Dust, BBD edition ? :D

BenjaminT likes this.
  10. Omegafan12 May 17, 2019

Does anyone know Will ADs get this or is it boutique only? And do you think it is sold out already?

11. whyboddau May 17, 2019

Beautiful watch. Color scheme works well when I think of a vintage speedy I look for shades of yellow on the markers. The gold on flat black does that in my eyes. I see that omega in general is moving toward all the coaxial movements and upping the price points. Still waiting for a peasant spec model in all SS.

I thought the upcoming 321 would be more limited. I remember reading that omega would dedicate a separate area in factory and each watchmaker builds and hand finishes a 321 from movement out to case and bracelet. Hoping for a display back for that. But would it be in a moon case or smaller ck2998 case? We’ll see...

12. red1108nyc May 17, 2019

I like the watch but lacked umph.

13. lando May 17, 2019

Yes, i have already mentioned in a thread about the golden 50th, that it should have been Cal. 3863 instead of 3861, when you bring some logic into it. This one should be the Cal. 3861 on that ground.

14. fskywalker May 17, 2019

Looks cool, but way too expensive

15. Matty1 May 17, 2019

There was no news regarding 321 - right?

16. evoeddie May 17, 2019

Fugly, to say the least.

isaac.owen.nz likes this.
  17. timestamp May 17, 2019

Awesome bracelet. I hope this makes it to the regular Speedy Pro. Other than that, love the design but as with a few other LEs, the subdial breaks it for me.

18. Inpw May 17, 2019

Considering nobody's commented on the drop end chrono hand - I think it looks fantastic and hope it makes a return to the standard Moonwatch. Does anybody know if a SS drop end chrono hand is available from Omega as a replacement part and can be installed in a standard 1861 model?

19. pianomankd May 17, 2019

Wow factor just isn't there for me. At all.

Pass.

::wallet calmly tips his hat to me and thanks me::

sturosen likes this.
  20. Ian_km May 17, 2019

Some great features and I'll certainly buy the bracelet if possible, however I'm thinking too much gold for me - although you never know once you see it in person.

So, I'll go back to my search for a vintage version from 1968 (birth year) to add to my collection and hopefully cheaper!

Johnnyb8183 likes this.