Forums Latest Members

Bought my first Omega ever... Need some advice.

1. westmsm Apr 1, 2021

Hello Omega Family!

My name is Vince. I have been wearing the same watch I went into the Marine Corps with 10 years ago. I loved that watch. It went to hell and back with me. It was an extremely expensive Casio at the time. I believe that it was close to $500. It has the sapphire glass, not a scratch on it. I felt that it was time to treat myself and get a nice watch. I've been looking high and low for the perfect watch for me. I wanted a watch that was nice but durable enough to be an everyday watch. I narrowed it down and bought a used Seamaster 300. I believe it was the model before the latest version. It still has the ceramic bezel and the 2500 movement. To my understanding, the 2500 is a good movement. It might not be as nice as the 8800 movement, but still reliable. Did I make the good choice of getting the older model?

I'm a little frugal when it comes to luxury item as I feel like I could of used that money to be invested or saved. I couldn't wrap my head around from spending close to 5.5k for the latest Seamaster. However, I actually prefer the piano black dial vs the new wave dial. I think over time, the piano black will age better. It seems a little more timeless. What do you think?

I managed to score the watch for 3k. It will come with the original box, cards, bracelet, and an Omega Nato strap. The watch itself is in good shape I believe, other than your basic wear and tear. I am thinking about sending it off to Omega to get it serviced, polished, and tuned up. Looking at the pricing, I have to pay $550? Will it come back looking brand new or like brand new? Is it worth it to send to Omega or should I send it somewhere else?

This will be my everyday watch, I am a CNC technician now and work with my hands. Nothing oily or greasy. Just nuts and bolts. Sometimes electrical wiring in confined spaces. I feel like the bracelet will be out of place. I am thinking the nylon strap from the dark side of the moon or even a leather/suede strap. Any suggestions or recommendations? What do you guys rock for an everyday strap.

TL DL:
    Is the older model reliable? Is the 2500 movement good?
    Is the older model a little more timeless looking?
    I would like to get it serviced when I receive it, who should I send it to?
    What straps do you guys recommend for everyday?

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg 20210331_222627.jpg
    Bp1000, Teula, ChrisRid and 6 others like this.
  2. gbesq Apr 1, 2021

You made an excellent choice. I have the same watch (black dial version) which I purchased new and I love it.
    46561991-241D-47C8-9ED6-6B2882680858.jpeg
    To answer your questions:
    -The caliber 2500 (your watch probably has the caliber 2500d) is a rugged, reliable and very accurate movement. No worries. Have it regularly serviced every 5-7 years and it will run forever.
    -In many ways, I think that the styling of this generation is superior to the current version. It is a bit smaller, a little thinner, has the glossy no waves dial (which I prefer over the wave dial), a smaller HE valve, an applied Omega symbol/logo on the dial, and that beautiful hippocampus engraving on the case back, all of which the current version lacks. Overall, it is a dressier version than the current model and can be worn with just about anything.
    -You can send it to Omega for servicing. It will come back looking brand new with a two year warranty. Cost will be $550 USD, give or take.
    -I wear mine on the original “Bond” bracelet, so I can’t give you any advice on straps, but I’m sure that others will chime in.

Again, good choice. Enjoy it!

Edited Apr 1, 2021
    westmsm and BAJJ like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 1, 2021

To me a watch this age is OK to send to Omega for a service to get that new watch feeling and 5 years of piece of mind that it’s freshly serviced.

Dan S and maskwp like this.
  4. Socks Apr 1, 2021

Yes, new enough to send to Omega. (if you don't mind it being away for 10-12 weeks) You could ask them to go easy on the case polishing (strap is okay) if you are so inclined. my 2531.80.00 has the same strap and is bullet-proof. A nice heavy strap and makes everything else I wear seem cheap & flimsy. I'd leave it on this!

5. BAJJ Apr 1, 2021

I got mine new in 2016, with the 2500 movement and black dial, it is still on the original strap, as I have never really felt the need to change it out, it is very reliable, + 5 secs a day, week in week out year in year out, crown up, down sideways etc, etc. It too was my first good watch, the first watch I bought in 22 years. Although I have a few other watches these are more elegant so the seamaster is the go to watch when I'm doing 'stuff' mainly sailing and yacht racing, DIY etc. It has taken a lot of abuse over the years, and although it bears a few scars it still looks amazing, I hope I will never part with it and plan to pass it on to my son one day. I have not serviced it yet, however it is due in the next year, I will most likely send ot to Omega. I considered trading it for a Rolex explorer a couple of years ago, and while that might have been a sound financial decision that's not why I wear watches, having worn the two side by side and examined the Rolex in detail I found it lacking, to me the Seamaster is a better watch, it just has so many different facets. I'm sure many will disagree but that's my opinion. It is a great watch, Wear and enjoy it in health:). IMG_20210330_125315.jpg

wagudc and westmsm like this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 1, 2021

The 2500 in these is the final, evolved variant the 2500D and its a very nice movement, overall thinner than the later version with the new movement.

it’s a great choice and it’ll do very well for you long term, an omega service will have it looking like a brand new watch again.

This thread will give you a good idea of what happens with an omega service on a modern Seamaster Pro before and after:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/compliments-to-omega-factory-service.129532/

7. gnuyork Apr 1, 2021

For what it's worth I have a Planet Ocean with the 2500d movement worn nearly daily for many years (8,9?) until recently (dethroned due to my new Speedmaster). The movement has been rock solid reliable and is still very accurate +1 or 2 seconds a day last I checked unofficially, -not on a timegrapher).

8. rohada Apr 3, 2021

I, too, bought mine used with all the packaging, paperwork, boxes, etc. in like new condition. This is such a clean design. I think you got a good deal overall, as these have escalated a bit in price since I bought mine for $2500USD a few years back.

I agree with the piano black aging well in comparison to the newer wave pattern models. I prefer the tight, more subdued wave pattern found on older Seamasters from the 1990s and early 2000s (like on my 2296 rose gold/titanium chronograph and 2234 GMT). Of course, that's subjective.

My moon watch (3590) ended up going from NJ to Switzerland for repair and that took 8 weeks or so, all in. Sounds like things are moving a bit slower in NJ. My GMT needs to be serviced. Evaluating some non-Omega options.

I think it's a great choice for everyday use, if you are going to wear a nice watch. I put a black rubber strap on mine for a change of pace. But, for your needs, you may find a rubber (or NATO) strap holds up better for daily use because you won't gather scratches and dings that will take up residence on your metal band.

westmsm likes this.
  9. westmsm Apr 3, 2021

Awesome. Thank you everyone for your replies. I am looking forward to getting my new watch! I don't mind the longer service times as long as it provides quality service. We live in a society that dwells in instant gratification. My current watch hasn't been unbuckled in over 10 years. What is another few months?

I've been looking at some after market straps by Hirsch. Are they pretty good? Anyone recommend any other brands? I heard for Natos, Phenome natos are great quality.

drhombus24 likes this.
  10. Zanzibar Apr 3, 2021

Congrats for your watch !
    Hirsch is very good however it might be pricey for a nato. Try timefactor in uk, they have the real deal.
    Enjoy ;)

westmsm likes this.
  11. Sammoor Apr 3, 2021

excellent choice. great watch

westmsm likes this.
  12. SkunkPrince Apr 3, 2021

Maratac in US is good for NATO.

westmsm likes this.
  13. worldwidewes Apr 3, 2021

I don't know too much about this watch, but if you're every looking for a leather strap, I'd highly recommend Camille Fournet. I've had one for a little over a year and it's excellent. They are a bit pricy, but totally worth it.

14. BAJJ Apr 4, 2021

I have a few Hirsch straps, great quality, I would recommend.

15. drhombus24 Apr 4, 2021

I use a hirsch “James” on my PO. The rubber backing is excellent
    1FA950BA-A840-4C22-BC34-BF8A0201D500.jpeg

McBeardy likes this.
  16. abgul Apr 8, 2021

Second on the Hirsch - they've always been good to me.

17. JeremyS Apr 9, 2021

Congrats on a great watch! I bought the blue version back in 2016, and it’s been bulletproof. I also have the newer version, but there’s something about the smaller and thinner 2500D version that sill has currency. It’s probably the next watch I will send to Omega for service once my 300 Master Chronometer comes back.

In terms of straps, I went old school with the original Omega double-ridge rubber strap and diver’s clasp. Kinda pricey, but I love the look. You can also check out Zealande straps. They make a rubber strap that fits flush with the case. I think the black straps are on back order at the moment, but if you’re sending your watch in for service, the extra time won’t matter. Here are some pics of mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

McBeardy likes this.
  18. 502 to right Apr 9, 2021

You have chosen wisely.

19. afnios1 Apr 11, 2021

wear it in good health,its a great watch

20. westmsm Apr 18, 2021

Update 4/18/21

Hello all,

Thank you everyone for your input and pictures. I went by an Omega Boutique to get it serviced. To my surprised, they recommended me NOT to get it serviced since it was in such great condition. They told me to wear it and enjoy it. They suggested for me to service it if I notice that it was losing its proper time. So instead of me spending the money getting it serviced, I spent some on some new straps! I used them to make a few purchases! There is still one more on the way from Hirsch. It it the natural leather in gold/brown. https://www.hirschstraps.com/produc...roduct&utm_term=link&utm_source=OrderlyEmails

So far, I think my personal favorite is the sail cloth. At least for now until I see the leather one from Hirsch. The natos are super nice but I prefer the cleaner look of the sail cloth traditional tuck vs the nato's loop around. Omega's nato is a little thicker than the Premium Zuludiver from watchgecko. The Zuludiver feel softer and more silk. The nato strap does make the watch seem top heavy as the sail cloth feels a little more well rounded.

20210417_185459.jpg 20210417_185459.jpg 20210417_185500.jpg 20210417_184851.jpg 20210416_213446.jpg 20210417_184853.jpg

TimeODanaos likes this.