Boeing 737 Max Aircraft - Would You Fly On One?

Quality engineering and manufacturing are not incompatible with being a for-profit company. Trying to fix their problems afterwards is costing Boeing every penny they might have saved through shortcuts, and then some.

This is true, but when your executive compensation is tied to quarterly results and not, say, 5-year performance, it incentivizes that kind of short-term thinking.

Boeing is not able to accept orders for new planes because the regulators have not given approval and Airbus is not accepting orders because they have more than they can fill. Who wants to start a new company to pick up the slack?

Boeing is not able to accept orders for new planes because the regulators have not given approval and Airbus is not accepting orders because they have more than they can fill. Who wants to start a new company to pick up the slack?

Hold on, you think we should start a company to do what Boeing does?

I have zero qualifications in aircraft safety and don't know how to correctly bolt a plane together...

When do I start?

don't know how to correctly bolt a plane together...
Righty tightly, lefty loosey. That’s about it. Go forth and prosper.:whipped:

I might take out life insurance on this guy as a hedge bet....

Boeing whistleblower says he would not fly on 737 Max plane after defect claims

Boeing whistleblower says he would not fly on 737 Max plane after defect claims (msn.com)

Santiago Paredes alleged that Boeing’s largest supplier Spirit AeroSystems in Kansas, US, regularly shipped out parts with defects, the BBC and CBS report.

It was only a ‘matter of time before something bad happened’ due to faulty parts, he told CBS.

Mr Paredes said he is now reluctant to fly on a Boeing 737 Max plane in case it still carries parts from the factory he worked as a quality inspector for more than a decade.

He also claimed he was pressured to play down the number of defects he spotted, the BBC reports.

Looks like the third whistleblower will have an incident soon

I am flying a cross the Atlantic this summer, I hope SAS have Airbus.

I am flying a cross the Atlantic this summer, I hope SAS have Airbus.

For most ETOPS routes like that you're probably on a widebody anyway. Think the only major ETOPS routes for the MAX right now are the West Coast to Hawaii ones Alaska flies, could be wrong

For most ETOPS routes like that you're probably on a widebody anyway. Think the only major ETOPS routes for the MAX right now are the West Coast to Hawaii ones Alaska flies, could be wrong

SAS stopped using the 737 last year and now have just Airbus in its fleet. They have had 100 737 altogether, but are now going for the more modern Airbus,

https://simpleflying.com/sas-last-boeing-737-flight/

Were those flown on overseas routes though?

I have no idea, but I think the 737 are capable of trans Atlantic flight, and since they had so many SAS might have used it

I have no idea, but I think the 737 are capable of trans Atlantic flight, and since they had so many SAS might have used it
The older 737s did not have quite enough range to be used on long haul transoceanic routes between continents although they have been used for quite some time for some routes with extended time over water (e.g., the U.S. west coast to Hawaii). The new Max variants of the 737 are capable of transoceanic flight due to their much improved engine efficiency, although the bulk of those routes are still flown by larger aircraft from both Boeing and Airbus.

Flew Toronto to Scotland on a 737Max last Friday. Uneventful, but the noob pilot set us down pretty hard.
Not very comfortable in cattle class.

The Boeing case in a political perspective.

Counterfeit parts are a huuuge problem. They were a contributing factor in the downing of Partnair Flight 394. That investigation found counterfeit parts from multiple supply sources and even in protected supply chains like those for the US President's aircraft. Changes were made, people were charged and went to jail, improvements realized, but it's still a problem to this day.

So its perfectly normal for the plane to be plugged in at the airport between flights as the crew change over, cleaners come in etc.
I'd not be surprised by this.
Sometimes the planes are left plugged in over night.
Again, I'd not be surprised by this particularly in very cold places.

Seems this is an alien concept to Boeing as doing the bolts up correctly and you have to make sure and switch your 787 off every 51 days or the computers may show the pilots "potentially catastrophic data".

https://www.theregister.com/2020/04/02/boeing_787_power_cycle_51_days_stale_data/