Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 28, 2016

There has been a thread on these,
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-blue-dial.23045/
    but here is mine, recently acquired. (Mentioned in the thread ) .

They are terribly hard to photograph. Now the colour is described as blueish - grey. The primary colour is listed last, the secondary first. (Dont ask me, its Debeers diamond grading system).

I must say I was pleased to be able to get this one. There is another coming up in Christies in December, and it will be interesting to see how it goes. http://speedmaster101.com/blog/christies-speedmasters-ny-december-2016/

07-PC040006-001.jpg

Now these "Metallic" dials exhibit certain characteristics:
    They show numerous chips, or damage that to me look as though the dial has been kept out of the case. Others more knowledgeable than me suggest this is the natural way these age.
    The minute marks fall short of the step.
    The step often abraids, note the wear at the step:
    1-PC040006-001.jpg

This one also has some severe damage that must have been while outside the watch:

1-PC040006-002.jpg

And so in fact this dial may well have kicked around a watchmakers drawer before all the madness kicked in and special dials in Speedmasters became a "thing"

Here is another shot of the Blueish Grey and following is a black dial in the same position and lighting:
    11-PC040010-001.jpg
    13-PC040004-002.jpg
    The colour is quite subtle.

These "Metallic" dials are of course quite different to the Blue Sollei dials:
    1-PC120043.jpg
    This last watch is quite different from the Bluish Grey Metallics, in that it has a sunburst finish and it is more blue.

Note also the Sollei dial has short indices.

Lets see what the Christies watch does.

Edited Nov 29, 2016
    kov, Etp095, LiquidSolid and 14 others like this.
  2. tyrantlizardrex Nov 28, 2016

That's a pretty looking thing William.

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 28, 2016

Chris
    Do the photos come up in the thread?
    they dont from this end, just links
    William

4. tyrantlizardrex Nov 28, 2016

They're working in this one chap, you've got a duplicate in which they're just links though.

Spacefruit likes this.
  5. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Nov 28, 2016

You should post that last pic on WUS William, let's see what the "experts" there have to say.
    Please, do it!

Spacefruit, watchknut and oddboy like this.
  6. Davidt Nov 28, 2016

I'm very, very intrigued by the grey + blue dials.

When I first saw one, I assumed it was just degradation a la brown/tropical dials, but they clearly aren't (minute track, short section of lume on inner dial etc). However, so many of them do exhibit the traits one would usually associate with physical wear, such as loss of paint around the step. Is this really just to do with the paint/manufacture process for these dials. I find that somewhat hard to believe, given the very limited loss of paint seen on most standard Speedmaster dials from the period.

Also, what's the history? Just an exotic dial variation that sold in limited numbers? Prototypes that have been retro fitted to watches fairly recently? I'm purely regurgitating research done by others here, but members (particularly @The Master of Speed), have posted examples that look contemporary to late 2998's, 105.003's and even 145.012's (I think), suggesting they were in fact sold in this configuration and possibly for a number of years throughout the 60's.

How were they sold? Were they an option from new? At service? Only in certain countries? Given out as samples, to corporate or competition winners?

Like i say, I'm intrigued by these dials and would like to know more, but at the same time i also love the mystery.

Spacefruit and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  7. Cad290 Nov 28, 2016

So you're the guy I was bidding against for this...happy to see I lost to someone that will share pics and information of it with the world. Congrats!

S.Song likes this.
  8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 28, 2016

That soleil dial is just so awesome.

9. TomGW Nov 29, 2016

The sub dial size appears to be marginally bigger than the standard dial too, as the gap between them is noticeably shorter. Initially, from the OP's photos I thought the subdial hands looked a bit short, then realised that the subdials are actually fractionally larger.
    For comparison:
    [​IMG]
    '68 Transitional.jpg

Edited Nov 29, 2016
    Etp095, Badwolf and ConElPueblo like this.
  10. Sanmilc Nov 29, 2016

That dial is gorgeous, enjoy it!!

11. ConElPueblo Nov 29, 2016

Good point. That explains why the hour markers are shorter; they'd overlap the subdials otherwise.

12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 29, 2016

Does this colour make me look fat?
    if it's a rare dial, I'm always going to be the guy.....

Davidt, oddboy, smitty190373 and 2 others like this.
  13. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Nov 29, 2016

Spacefruit likes this.
  14. smitty190373 Nov 29, 2016

Ha ha. Like it!

15. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Nov 29, 2016

Excellent write up on your site, and I agree with this statement: Christies have really not done well in the photo department – none of them give me confidence to bid hard based on these photos. Inexcusable in today’s world.

The fact that they hype the rarity of the dial in the description yet don't give a photo that you can actually tell what dial it is baffling.

Spacefruit likes this.
  16. Davidt Nov 29, 2016

I think the photos some of the auction houses use are embarrassing quite frankly. They charge strong fees to both sellers and buyers, yet offer few, low quality photos in return. I'm amazed that's considered acceptable.

Speedmasterfan88 and Andy K like this.
  17. spin_transistor Nov 29, 2016

The wear to the dial is certainly interesting and it does appear that it spent time outside of the case.

Thank you for sharing and I hope to eventually see one in person.

18. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 29, 2016

Actually several examples of this dial are known that show degradation and they have not been out of the watch.

There are several examples in he link in the OP include of a really flaky one from @Ash

Psych and Cad290 like this.
  19. NatJosh Nov 29, 2016

nice watch