Forums Latest Members
  1. TiborTamas May 14, 2020

I just serviced this bumper 354 movement with a black waffle dial. The lume at the 12,3,6, and 9 positions seems to have degraded and there is a "shadow" at the 10 o'clock position. The movement has been hidden away in a tin for many years. The movement "works" but there are balance problems which I can fix with a balance complete replacement. The balance staff is too long. The hairspring coils are touching each other. The roller table slips. One pivot is bent. Which are reasons the movement was put into storage. I believe the original case was gold and was melted down. Could someone comment on the lume degredation. What is the correct case number for this movement? The movement serial number is 13,543,047 which I believe dates it to 1953. Is this a Seamaster? Omega 354 Bumper.jpg Omega 354 Dial.jpg

2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 14, 2020

2710 maybe?

3. SkunkPrince May 14, 2020

It would fit in a 2627 case but that's not its proper reference.

4. Canuck May 14, 2020

Have you removed the bridge over the rotor and the reverser mechanism, or is it missing? Rather than looking for parts, you likely should be looking for a parts movement, hopefully with a case, so that you can make two movements into one.

5. TiborTamas May 15, 2020

Yes the bridge is removed. I have reinstalled it and the movement is complete so I don't need a "donor" movement.

. Thanks for noticing. The movement is working but not to my satisfaction because the balance has flaws, as I noted. Omega 354 with bridge.jpg

6. TiborTamas May 15, 2020

According to the Omega website, the 354 movement was used in the Tresor, Seamaster, Constellation and US Collections. The OT 2710 is a Tresor (as is an OT 2736) and the movement would fit. I don't think this is a Constellation dial, so I'm ruling those cases out. If the numerals were present at the 3,6,9,and 12 positions, I would be confident in putting it into a Seamaster case. I recall seeing black waffle dials in both yellow (gold) and white (stainless steel) cases but I believe that this was originally in a gold case which was melted down. I would be OK with a stainless case but would prefer gold. I am not going to make a Frankenwatch out of this. Seamaster cases are 2635, 2494, 2577, 2767, 2753,14350. Omega also lists the "US Collection" cases as G6213, G 6525, G2736. Perhaps a Ross G6267.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 15, 2020

I think your issue here is not which case will fit the movement. Any of the cases you mentioned for a cal. 351 or 354 will work for that.

The issue here is which case will fit the dial.

The only way to solve this would be to search out watches with exactly the same dial and see if they all come from a single reference.

It could also be that colored tension ring of the correct crystal may cover up a slight gap if the dial is too small for the case.

Good luck with your search!
    gatorcpa