Black dials monetary value?

This doesn't answer your question but the black dial I own, and am coincidentally currently wearing, is the cheapest Omega I have ever purchased $180 USD (not including postage)... I purchased it about 2 months ago from Japan and I guess the owner just had no idea what type of money they could get for it or simply didn't care... Sometimes the most valuable things are the ones others overlook.

I guess I just got lucky.

This doesn't answer your question but the black dial I own, and am coincidentally currently wearing, is the cheapest Omega I have ever purchased $180 USD (not including postage)... I purchased it about 2 months ago from Japan and I guess the owner just had no idea what type of money they could get for it or simply didn't care... Sometimes the most valuable things are the ones others overlook.

That's a unicorn sir - in fact I don't believe, must be a Mercari fluke

@kaplan a fluke it was, the sale photos were terrible, really blurry and poorly lit. I saw the price and decided that I'd take a gamble.

166.003?

And regarding value I'd say that a good early steel lyre lug Constellation say a 1950's 2652/2782/2852/14381 with black dial is probably at least 2-2.5 x the price of a cream dialled example of the same reference....and that's if you can find one for sale. I see dealer asking prices of $4.5-5K for good ones. No collectors are selling 😉....so I think that says enough about desirability.

The black gilt Seamasters are a different fish and there are way more around in the 1960's non-chronometer variants. I've sold quite a few here in the last couple of years and they always fly out the door......so I'm probably underpricing them a bit, I'd say realistically they are also about 2-2.5 x a cream dialled version of the same ref. when in excellent condition.
Edited:

What would folks pay for a black dial with heavy patina?

Depends on the watch and reference and patina.......one man's patina is another man's heavy damage....

IMO Some patina is unattractive (damage) and carries no premium or even a discount to a good silver dial of the same ref.
Alternatively attractive patina still carries a premium but not at the same multiplier as a black dial in good, original condition.

For example, I think the black 166.010 sold here recently was a very good price (for the buyer). I wouldn’t sell mine for that. I’d value it more around $2k minimum with bracelet. However, I might list my patina’d gilt dial 166.010 at some point. I’d probably value that around $1350-1400 with bracelet. Still a slight premium over a silver dial but not as much as a good gilt version.

5E758E61-E130-44B2-BD53-661C77880744.jpeg A1D91214-A499-4BCE-B73F-81D5ABDE8371.jpeg

I’d say the multiple depends on rarity of the reference and condition. 1.5x is reasonable for a more common, worse condition example, and it increases from there.

For example, this black waffle dial jumbo Geneve.. only one I’ve ever seen.. I’d put on the higher end of that multiple (at least in terms of value to me).
IMG_4844.jpeg

I’d say the multiple depends on rarity of the reference and condition. 1.5x is reasonable for a more common, worse condition example, and it increases from there.

For example, this black waffle dial jumbo Geneve.. only one I’ve ever seen.. I’d put on the higher end of that multiple (at least in terms of value to me).
IMG_4844.jpeg

Yeah I totally agree with your point here, there are some pieces in my own collection that I'd also value ( much 😁 ) more than my 2-2.5 multiple....but to keep the discussion simple and broad I put that number on it.

Your pair of Geneve's are superb 👍

But on the other hand a decent 2471 Cosmic with original dial is what, somewhere in the €4.75-€6K range....but I wouldn't value this one at double that, €9.5-€12K, ....even though it is a very, very difficult one to find....I don't know, sometimes there are no simple answers.

019.JPG

This also comes back to the question of what is the market price and what’s the price a collector would sell for if they’re not motivated to do so.

I have pieces that I love and wouldn’t sell for anywhere near what the likely market price as I know how hard it would be to replace and I’m too attached to it/have absolutely no desire to sell

Vintage black dial watches in general are a good idea.

I will jump on any brands vintage black dial in excellent condition “like a fat kid on a candy bar”
IMG_0019.jpeg

Suppose this one below, was more like a follow around until the candy bar gave up…😁
IMG_0044.jpeg

Black dial with rose gold, anyone? 18 karat rose gold on stainless steel.

P4176783.jpeg

Coincidentally this just arrived this morning... purchased locally here in New Zealand.

$800 NZD - roughly $490 USD

Not sure what the Ref. or Cal. is, will have to wait until I get it home this evening and crack it open.

I almost paid 4x once, but glad I didn't, it was a patinated gold furniture gilt, the only one of its kind, no other gold gilt surfaced

If you consider chocolate speedies, a good one could even fetch on par with a pristine one, I also personally prefer a heavy patina over a pristine one with a big defect, like a watchmaker scratch, it's very comfortable owning/wearing/servicing a patinated watch, they are surprisingly quite resilient as well - when you see a patina gilt it looks almost as if touching will tear the entire dial apart, but it's usually firm and strong

I‘m pricing my black patinated 14900 in a softer case at less than a 1.1x multiple to the perfect silver dialed one on the right, but it still doesn’t fly 😕

IMG_9121.jpeg