Forums Latest Members
  1. bgrisso Oct 15, 2019

Less words and more pictures on this black beauty (thanks for your help @Florent)...........

_F6F0347_adj.JPG _F6F0348_adj.JPG _F6F0349_adj.JPG _F6F0342_adj.JPG _F6F0345_adj.JPG _F6F0346_adj.JPG _F6F0351_adj.JPG
  2. Severin Oct 15, 2019

::love::...wait, what? Has this just landed for you? Do tell, please!;)

DaveK likes this.
  3. bgrisso Oct 15, 2019

lol, maybe that was too few words? Yes, this just landed......

One of those rare days where, with a lot of luck and a bit of patience, the watch gods have smiled upon me.....

More importantly, it's the perfect twin to my white Compur (avi). The pair are extraordinary, in fact I don't think they should ever be parted......maybe I can wear one on each wrist :)

sdre, Larry S, Severin and 5 others like this.
  4. jumpingsecond Oct 15, 2019

Side by side pics when you can please. Thats legitimately an amazing watch ::love::

rolokr and bgrisso like this.
  5. rkman11 Oct 15, 2019

Wow, AMAZING score!!!

bgrisso likes this.
  6. Severin Oct 15, 2019

Watch gods, indeed! You are like an horological Abraham. Sincere congrats to you. I echo the call for side by side pics. As for wearing two watches at once, we’ve all done it...consider yourself further enabled.

For those of us less familiar with UG Chronographs, what can you tell us about this new addition? To my untrained eye, it looks like a lovely visual combination of the two black dials below (from Sala, par 468): that is, stick hour markers x telemetre, etc (like dial 9) + base 1000 (like dial 5).

Congrats again, thanks so much for sharing this with us.

54463D70-2484-440C-8B10-4E2578A0A230.jpeg

Duracuir1, Vitezi and filmir like this.
  7. ELV web Oct 15, 2019

Dibs, but I believe it will never be sold by you. Anyhow first dibs on me! Got the white version but in gold.

8EA33F2D-33C4-4C92-8808-13B92FAD2573.jpeg
  8. TheRealMe Oct 15, 2019

Wow! That’s an amazing watch! Congrats.

bgrisso likes this.
  9. aap Oct 15, 2019

Congratulations, B! Happy for you!

bgrisso likes this.
  10. yala Oct 16, 2019

Big, big watch. Congrats!!

bgrisso likes this.
  11. Woops Oct 16, 2019

It's just ace when a sublime watch finds a terrific collector...congratulations and wear in good health B.

bgrisso likes this.
  12. WhereMadnessLies Oct 16, 2019

Lovely, congratulations.

bgrisso likes this.
  13. mickygee Oct 16, 2019

Looks really elegant, congrats

bgrisso likes this.
  14. billving Oct 16, 2019

Really very nice

bgrisso likes this.
  15. rolokr Oct 16, 2019

What is the size ? Lovely !

16. bgrisso Oct 16, 2019

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Some more info.....

Both watches are SS, and 35mm. Both are from 1936-1938. The white dial has no reference and the black dial is a 5160. Although there are many slight variations on these dials, neither one is in Sala (exactly).

@Severin the graphic you pointed out is as close as it gets in Sala, which is still not exact. Although at first glance these two look like identical twins, they are actually quite different. The sub dial size is very different. The white dial has railroad tracks around both subs, the black only on the left. The Compur font is different (and it's interesting to note the thicker Compur font on the black dial very often has the letter C slightly offset in the exact same way you see here). Both are base 1000 obviously, and I also find it amusing to see the combination of rounded 3 in the left subdial 30 and the flat 3 in the right dial 30, which in later dials can sometimes be a dead giveway for a redial (except on Aero's).

It's interesting to note the hands are almost exactly the same, down to the slightly thickened sword hands in the sub dials, but you will note also the stick hour hand is thicker on the black dial. All these amazing little consistencies and inconsistencies are part of the magic and madness of UG (and I assume other brands from the same period), using different sub contractors and different batches.

The white dial watch was purchased in Geneva by the original owner in the 30s when he lived there, and eventually came to me via his grand children. The black dial was also in Europe, and much harder to land. It was the kind of situation where something pops up, I bought it, and suddenly there were many competing offers trying to sabotage the deal. To the sellers credit, they were willing to honor the fact that I was the "first buyer", and we eventually settled on a much higher price, many many multiples of what I had already "bought" it for. As they said, they were not well off, and could not afford to turn down much higher offers, but also wanted to respect that I was first in line. So we eventually settled on something that we could both live with. It is interesting to navigate these financial and ethical waters, which happen quite often in the watch collecting world. Anyhow, it took a long time to sort everything out, but it's finally here.

It is almost impossible to photograph both dials together, as the white one is pearlescent and washes out very easily, and the black one needs a lot of light, but here is a modest attempt.......

_F6F0353_adj.JPG
    fizz, mmpass, Duracuir1 and 22 others like this.
  17. chronoboy64 Oct 16, 2019

Wow, just wow ! What an amazing find and that twins :eek::eek::eek:
    Watch heaven for early UG collectors :thumbsup:

Syrte and bgrisso like this.
  18. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 16, 2019

Wow. Stunning. Major congrats :thumbsup:

bgrisso likes this.
  19. Severin Oct 16, 2019

Wow - big congrats for sure. I can tell that it has found a good home with you and that you will always cherish it - I can also detect some of the exhilaration, exhaustion and relief you must be feeling after such a hard-won score. No doubt it makes the connection all the more sweet.
    Thank you again for sharing this special moment with us and for providing some insight into your journey. Once again, please accept my congratulations.

bgrisso likes this.
  20. harrymai86 Oct 16, 2019

Wow cool story. I believe you felt quite frustrated when the deal got interupted, however the final score paid it off. Awesome watch.

bgrisso likes this.