WMD5930 likes this.
  3. Shabbaz Feb 10, 2019

Just kidding. Sorry.

We try to find the originals

WMD5930 and Mark020 like this.
  4. Rickyp Feb 10, 2019

I don’t see them as anything but differences. I like different

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 10, 2019

So why did you come here asking questions in the first place?

Davidt, ac106, WMD5930 and 4 others like this.
  6. Shabbaz Feb 10, 2019

Ok. I'm checking out. This is getting a bit weird.

7. Shabbaz Feb 10, 2019

::popcorn::

kkt likes this.
  8. Rickyp Feb 10, 2019

I thought it was unusual that it was quite large for a vintage watch and wanted to see what people thought. I also wanted to make sure I had not bought a complete fake. The fact that it’s had a few replacements doesn’t bother me. I didn’t get the Forrest Gump reference and if I’ve taking in in the wrong way then I apologise. Just trying to learn

Shabbaz and tikkathree like this.
  9. Rickyp Feb 10, 2019

Weird ? Again don’t understand

10. ConElPueblo Feb 10, 2019

To be fair, this reference often get overlooked as it "misses" the sharp angles of the contemporary Omegas, where a thorough polishing would make the watch nearly worthless as all those facets would get removed.

I remember when one of these in extremely nice condition was posted in the "Recommended Vintage Omegas..." thread and it was panned by a couple of members as being massively overpolished :confused:

rincondeltiempo and Rickyp like this.
  11. Rickyp Feb 10, 2019

Thanks for that. I understand that collectors are purists when it comes to originality. I just think it’s a good looking masculine watch. A couple of questions. Would this watch be waterproof? Is there any way of telling when it was last serviced ? Case markings. Thanks

12. time flies Feb 10, 2019

Welcome to the forum. The general feeling seems to be... ask BEFORE you spend good money on something many here feel is not a good example of the reference. I'm glad you have a birth year watch you're happy with. Wear the heck out of it. I'm still looking for the "right" one myself.

Have fun
    kfw

tikkathree and Rickyp like this.
  13. Rickyp Feb 10, 2019

Thanks

tikkathree likes this.
  14. Dan S Feb 10, 2019

36mm is a decent size for the 1960s, but not really what would be called jumbo or oversized. Overall the watch is not a desirable vintage watch because of the poorly repainted dial and polished lugs (especially the top surface where the original edge has been rounded over. As mentioned above, this reference did not have sharp edges on the sides of the lugs). So the watch has been badly "restored" in a way that is not honest to the original. Just answering because you requested information (and specifically whether the watch was "any good"), but it's your money and you are obviously free to ignore the responses.

I believe that members are just trying to help you, and that you misunderstood the "Run Forrest" reference, which was just a humorous way of advising you to avoid the watch. It is a common internet meme, and not generally connected to people with disabilities.

Edited Feb 10, 2019
    nlogax, WMD5930, Edward53 and 3 others like this.
  15. Caliber561 Feb 10, 2019

@Rickyp The issue with redials and wrong hands is that the dial is no longer in original condition. It may say the name "Omega," but that script wasn't designed by Omega, the lacquer was never sprayed down by Omega, and the case no longer has the dimensions as originally machined by Omega. The replacement hands may not even be Omega manufacture. Sure, the watch may be polished and shiny, and you may like that, but it was likely originally polished and brushed, with sharp case edges that made the watch's features distinct and unique. Take a look at the AP Royal Oak — if all those brushed and faceted surfaces were overlaid with a polished finish, and the edges softened, the watch wouldn't look like an AP Royal Oak. If the dial were redone and the hands changed, the watch would no longer have the identity manifested by those who designed it. Yet when a watch's elements are correct, it is truly special. When you see such an example, you will know what I'm talking about. I'm sure a forum member can post photos of an imacculate, unpolished connie or seamaster. I think it's possible that you simply haven't seen such a pristine example before, as they're so pristine that they'd almost definitely stand out in your memory.

Also, if you're looking for a masculine watch, 36mm is probably too small, especially since "masculine" watches today are in excess of 45mm.

16. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 10, 2019

If any of this discussion has changed your mind in the least, the seller claiming that the dial is original is absolutely untrue and would be grounds to cancel the sale.

Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 11.03.13 AM.png

17. Rickyp Feb 10, 2019

I guess as long as I haven’t overpaid at £605 i like the watch ??

18. Shabbaz Feb 10, 2019

You overpaid...

kkt, Davidt, Reddy_Kilowatt and 2 others like this.
  19. Shabbaz Feb 10, 2019

Can you cancel?

20. Rickyp Feb 10, 2019

Not sure what I would say to the seller.