Forums Latest Members

Birth Year Watch Recommendations - 2008

1. Medinatalzahra Mar 20, 2021

I have decided to purchase a birth year watch for my eldest kiddo (2008), and I am soliciting help from the forum and savvy prognosticators. Ideally, I would like to get something that we on the OF would all look back on and say - I wish I had purchased that 10 years ago (I likely would gift this upon college graduation - assuming anyone still goes to college by then). So, I am thinking about watches that were a first model or edition issue, and more rare. Not a slave to any brand or model. For this brainstorming session, no strict budget limit -- but suffice it to say I'm not buying a F.P Journe... (although a Centigraphe Souverain from 2008 would be very nice). Thanks in advance for the suggestions and help! M

2. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 20, 2021

Assuming you plan to keep this a secret, and assuming also that they haven't expressed any particular design or style taste one way or the other to guide you, I'd stay in time- or time-date only. Explorer 1, DJ, OP -- emphasizing Rolex since, unless massive shifts in collecting change in the next decade, if they don't wind up wearing it, they'll enjoy having something that will have non-trivial monetary value at the time. Or something comparable within Omega or other brands.

Both my older boys could give nary a rat's butt cheek for anything watch related -- though believe me, I have tried -- so I just don't recommend going too crazy in value or in style or size. Something middle of the road stands a chance, IMO. Better, though, would be to hop in your time machine and buy a watch in 2008 that you start wearing then.

[Edit: I know I sidestepped your point about wanting something that may have had its debut in that year; I'm sure others can comment on that angle.]

Dor_42 likes this.
  3. TimeODanaos Mar 20, 2021

Try early SM PO maybe?

wagudc likes this.
  4. Medinatalzahra Mar 20, 2021

@marcnorth Appreciate the feedback. I don't personally collect Rolex (as it is a bit boring for me), but I take your point and it is very valid. The GMT II was introduced in 2007 -- so maybe that is an idea, a Pepsi GMT. That would be a safe way to go, and would inherently retain value (and will definitely appreciate by then). But, I am curious as to folks' more creative suggestions. As I mainly collect vintage watches (closer in time to my own birth year), it is a bit difficult for me to get my head around a 2008 -- but I know OF members will help out. Thanks again! M

marcn likes this.
  5. Dan S Mar 20, 2021

Did the Milgauss with the green crystal start about then?

CaliberKingPin likes this.
  6. Medinatalzahra Mar 20, 2021

7. Shabbaz Mar 20, 2021

At that age I got a used bike from my older brother

kkt, Dsloan, Dor_42 and 4 others like this.
  8. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Mar 20, 2021

I was given a Smith’s Astral on my 14th birthday, replacing the boys’ Timex.

LesXL and Shabbaz like this.
  9. CaliberKingPin Mar 20, 2021

Good suggestion Dan!

Yes the Milgauss was revamped in 2007 it is a very neat watch, IMHO, and has a newer type look to it.

Something maybe the younger generation would appreciate?

Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 4.42.28 PM.png

Medinatalzahra likes this.
  10. LesXL Mar 20, 2021

I think it would be good to know a bit about your son ... Is he a sporty type? Do you need something rough? Or rather something neutral? Or something extravagant? Etc... 13/14 yo is a difficult age to grasp, one day this, the next that...

11. Medinatalzahra Mar 20, 2021

Good questions. My intent would be to hold it until he is about 21 or 22 (as kids his current age will have no appreciation/ability to wear it). He is a very musical kid. Not currently sporty. Wicked smart. Likes coding, designing things, and history (including military history). Hard to know what he will like in 9 to 10 years. I personally think any tool watch would be a safer bet than something dressy - but again want everyone's thoughts and suggestions.... Thx!

kingsrider and LesXL like this.
  12. LesXL Mar 20, 2021

Safest could be to buy something new as it will only come to him in 9/10 years (when first service could come).

Will you be wearing it in the meantime? So he can say, it was my father's (for me) watch? Or will it be in the safe for a decade?

13. Medinatalzahra Mar 20, 2021

Currently thinking it would go to the bank vault/safe. He will be eventually getting more watches than he knows what do with from me - that will be Dad’s watches (And hopefully that will be a long, long time from now). So, my thinking is this would be really his... M

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 20, 2021

The big Omega of 2008 was the quite quirky and interesting Speedmaster Pro Alaska Project. These were made in sub-2000 numbers, are quite sought after one as full sets and are going up in price due to scarcity. It’s one of the most unique limited edition Speedmasters and easily one of the most recognizable.

10154B64-12DA-4A44-8F96-358FA8874359.jpeg DB163DA5-20D0-40A2-A327-AF7CFCF83428.jpeg

kkt and Medinatalzahra like this.
  15. CaliberKingPin Mar 20, 2021

I like the idea of vault/safe'ng it for him.

I have had this idea for my son as well but just have not actioned it.

I think it would be pretty amazing to receive a watch that is in mint condition that when given to your son is already vintage.

My son too will be receiving many watches that were dad's watches so giving my son one that was specifically picked out for him 10 years ago and held until he is older will be a pretty special.

I like your thinking Medinatalzahra!

Medinatalzahra likes this.
  16. mountainunder Mar 20, 2021

17. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Mar 20, 2021

Well thanks a lot OP, I bought my first nice watch in 2008 (Speedy triple date) to celebrate a birthday waaaaay beyond the day I was born. Thanks for making me feel old!

18. SkunkPrince Mar 20, 2021

I don't know when they stopped making them but the 2254.50.00 is a classic.

19. Medinatalzahra Mar 20, 2021

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming.... @dsio, I am really intrigued by the suggestion of the 2008 Speedmaster Pro Alaska Project. I have been googling it, and it is really something to consider. It is distinctly 2008, rare, unique for a SM, yet versatile. I would have never thought of this. So, thank you! The presentation case is something out of Bond film and would make quite a gift. Also is a link from Fratello discussing the watch. https://www.fratellowatches.com/speedmaster-alaska-project/#gref

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Medinatalzahra Mar 20, 2021

[​IMG]