Forums Latest Members
  1. stonestone Oct 26, 2019

Hi all,
    I'm new to this forum and hoping to tap into any expertise out there to help with a bezel issue I've come across with regards to a 105.003-65 that I recently acquired. The watch has an amazing chocolate patina and the DON bezel is a little beat up but all in all has aged nicely too. However, once or twice, unexpectedly, the bezel insert has falled out of the bezel. Most of the time it stays put fine but obviously I was concerned and asked a watch repair expert I met here in Hong Kong where I live. He noted that the bezel had two cracks on it that indicated it might not be holding the insert well, and recommended I replace the bezel.
    Is it possible to acquire a replacement bezel that doesn't cost and arm and a leg if you only need the bezel, but not the insert? Alternatively, can the bezel itself be repaired?
    I'd very much appreciate any insights to figure out my next steps. Thank you!

IMG_1254.JPG IMG_1251 2.jpg
    Etp095 likes this.
  2. bags1971 Oct 26, 2019

pretty sure thats a later bezel DNN

WYO_Watch likes this.
  3. WYO_Watch Oct 27, 2019

+1

I wouldn’t spend time fixing this bezel. It is incorrect for the reference. I’m sure you could find a suitable DON replacement for a bit more than the money you would throw at the current bezel repair.

gdupree and airansun like this.
  4. ndgal Oct 27, 2019

The metal bezel is shot and unrepairable unfortunately.
    Your cheapest way of going about it is buying a current service bezel, and finding a very skilled (and patient) watchmaker who can remove the insert from the newer bezel and implant the DNN insert into it.

Once said and done, you'll still have an incorrect DNN bezel for your watch.
    If you want it all correct, you'll have to pony up for a DON bezel ($1,000 - $4,500 depending on condition)

Spacefruit, ATWG, red crowned and 3 others like this.
  5. asrnj77 Oct 28, 2019

Although DON bezel prices have become ridiculous if you're patient you can find some deals that are better than others. This number sold on ebay for $512 last month but mysteriously there is damage right when it matters :whistling:

s-l500 (2).jpg
    Spacefruit, red crowned and Etp095 like this.
  6. befobe Oct 28, 2019

.... and a correct crown. It is a so nice watch, I suffer when seeing these replacement parts on vintage grandma'...

7. stonestone Oct 28, 2019

Thank you everyone for your input. I knew I had a broken bezel, just didn't know I had a wrong broken bezel. This will take some time (not to mention $) to fix.

8. IanES Oct 28, 2019

If i owned such a piece I' happily wear it with the wrong bezel while searching and/or saving for the correct bezel.

Unless of course the wrong bezel doesn't actually fit right and has to be rammed on there. In which case i wouldn't wear it at all for fear of lossing that original insert.

9. Passover Oct 28, 2019

Better a wrong broken bezel than a broken DON ;)

Spacefruit and hanky6 like this.
  10. WatchCor Oct 28, 2019

Well this is a matter for another thread, but for a daily wearer watch that is ad 60 years old and is in steady rotation , some replacement parts are acceptable and in my opinion necessary. E.g. the crown and the pusher tubes being the most common. The bezel and insert is in my opinion one of those thing also.

Original is better but a correct replacement part(not a paper clip wire:rolleyes:) is better than missing , faulty or a non-functional original part in my opinion.

To OP, hopefully you find a original DON or a nice DNN and then wear the watch and enjoy it.

11. Om3ga321 Oct 28, 2019

There is no short cut here.Its a nice 105.003 so cough up the money for a DO90.

12. befobe Oct 28, 2019

The crown the crownnnn.... So specific for the 321... some % of the price of this beauty... I would do everything to get one if I had this on my wrist.... But of course, @WatchCor , I understand your point of view....

Pilot85 likes this.
  13. stonestone Oct 28, 2019

Thank you! That’s my intention.

14. stonestone Oct 28, 2019

I am of the same mind and would happily wear it with the wrong bezel while looking for a correct one. My biggest concern right now is that with a cracked bezel I lose the insert I have while looking for something better. That would not be fun.

15. stonestone Oct 28, 2019

Thank you. For my education: what does the correct crown look like vs the one that’s on this specimen currently?

16. stonestone Oct 28, 2019

Never mind. I’ve now seen some old posts on this topic that have answered the question and more...

17. Passover Oct 28, 2019

I'm quite a newbie on Speedmasters myself so if you are looking for a good place to do some essential readings
    click here:

http://speedmaster101.com/

stonestone likes this.
  18. Dan S Oct 28, 2019

I wouldn't worry too much about preserving your existing bezel; the value is negligible. Glue it in with some removable adhesive if you're really concerned and use it until you find something better. As you probably know, the inserts are not really meant to be exchangeable.

I believe you need a flat-foot 24-tooth crown, called "A1" in the Moonwatch Only book. You can Google it for more details.

19. drhex Oct 28, 2019

I wonder how the bezel holds on - do the cracks not go through?

20. stonestone Oct 28, 2019

Thanks, that advice makes sense.