Best Speedy wingman?

Hello! Longtime lurker, first post. I recently purchased a new generation sapphire Speedy about a month ago and really like it so far. Comfortable, accurate, looks awesome- ticks pretty much most of the boxes.
That said, I feel I want a complimentary watch that is better by the pool/beach and I could beat up a little more. Plus, maybe this is just my first impression, but the new bracelet on the Speedy isn’t exactly rugged looking and sometimes I want something a little more substantial.
My only other “good watch” is a blue Planet Ocean 8900 that I was actually planning on selling to help fund the Speedy. Love the watch in general, just found the bezel a little too blingy over time and kind of fell out of love with it. Problem is, now that I’m preparing to sell it- I’m wondering if I should just keep it as my wingman to the Speedy! It ticks a lot of boxes and maybe the bling won’t bother me when it’s not my main watch.

Any advice for a 1:2 combo with a Speedy?

thanks in advance!

My only other “good watch” is a blue Planet Ocean 8900 that I was actually planning on selling to help fund the Speedy.
If you’re selling your other watch to fund your new Speedy, what kind of budget do you have to purchase another watch? That would help others offer suggestions.

If you’re selling your other watch to fund your new Speedy, what kind of budget do you have to purchase another watch? That would help others offer suggestions.

So, I think I rationalized that I was going to sell the PO to buy the speedy just because I didn’t want to have $10k+ sunk into 2 watches. I liked the idea of one “good watch” and a few randos on the side. However, now that I have Omegas in my box, I’m finding it hard to imagine not having a 2 watch rotation.
I think I’ve rationalized keeping the budget for the PO so I would say that my budget would be anything I could likely come out even with if I sold the PO. Maybe $4k?

I personally think the Speedy and PO are a great 1:2 combo, I just think you've got the wrong model PO.....2500 all the way!

I personally think the Speedy and PO are a great 1:2 combo, I just think you've got the wrong model PO.....2500 all the way!
Funny you say that- I’ve been looking at those and thinking the same thing. Do you think stepping from the 8900 to 2500 would be silly?

This is a pretty good budget to operate within. If you want a good dive watch, this would be a good option. They sell new and second hand at grey dealers either at or under your budget. Like this one
https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...ve-dial-210-30-42-20-01-001-excellent.168851/

IMG_1478.jpeg

And you have color choices of blue, white, and green.
IMG_1479.jpeg IMG_1481.jpeg IMG_1480.jpeg
Those are awesome watches and I deliberated them vs the PO extensively a few years ago. Ended up choosing the PO because I liked the bracelet more but honestly a 300 on a rubber strap is a nice complement to the Speedy. I’ll have to give them another look.

Don't forget about the "other" Omega 300 - the 300m. It's far less blingy than the Seamaster Professional, smaller at 41mm, and has the classic straight lug case, sandwich dial, broad arrow handset, great lume (including the bezel) and the Master Chronometer METAS certfied caliber 8912 with the jumping hour hand "time zone" feature and one of the best tapering flat link bracelets that Omega has ever made with microadjustment. It's one hell of a nice watch and available in many dial/case/bracelet/strap combinations.
IMG_6421.jpeg
x1631630-89e380e98bd04525e6f8a18b6bf2859e.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ISTZhJOi2P.webp
x1600336-552b1c10e26c406a7d547f0d519aa10d.jpg.pagespeed.ic.82UwtyYTwR.webp
Edited:

42mm PO 2500, 300m, or SKX...

Funny you say that- I’ve been looking at those and thinking the same thing. Do you think stepping from the 8900 to 2500 would be silly?

I was fortunate enough to wear both before my purchase because I thought they wear much differently.
While I did like the newer models, they felt a little flashy to me and weren’t “ideal” for my wrist size.
I’m still in my honeymoon phase of my 2500, but I can’t recommend it enough. I listened to a lot of senior members here and had great guidance.
I don’t think you can go wrong with the 42mm PO as a compliment to the Speedy, but as always, it’s personal preference.
Good luck with your choice!

I Think the PO is a great wingman for the Speedy but given you want to use it for pool/beach I would be tempted to go for a PO with GMT function for those longer distance vacations

upload_2024-2-16_8-38-14.png

My Tudor GMT was initially the Speedy wingman, but I think it actually gets more wrist time than the Speedy.
I chose it because like you, I wanted something a little more "substantial".
It has become my go to travel watch. I'll also slap a rubber strap on it for the water, sand, sweat...whatever!
I appreciate the water resistance, date function and obviously, the GMT function.
Plus the thing just feels like a tank. Which is great as long as you are ok with a bigger and thicker piece of metal on your wrist.
You can pick them up second hand for a pretty reasonable price, IMO.But even at MSRP I think it is a pretty solid deal.

IMG_8533.jpeg

My Tudor GMT was initially the Speedy wingman, but I think it actually gets more wrist time than the Speedy.
I chose it because like you, I wanted something a little more "substantial".
It has become my go to travel watch. I'll also slap a rubber strap on it for the water, sand, sweat...whatever!
I appreciate the water resistance, date function and obviously, the GMT function.
Plus the thing just feels like a tank. Which is great as long as you are ok with a bigger and thicker piece of metal on your wrist.
You can pick them up second hand for a pretty reasonable price, IMO.But even at MSRP I think it is a pretty solid deal.

IMG_8533.jpeg
Thanks for the suggestion! I’ve never handled a Tudor but they have some compelling options as a complement to the Speedy. I’ve got get to a dealer to check this and maybe a Pelagos out.
Did these ever get an upgrade to the T fit bracelet?

I'm not sure if the newer ones have the t fit.
Pelagos (or really any black bay) is a solid option as well if you don't care about the GMT function.

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ve never handled a Tudor but they have some compelling options as a complement to the Speedy. I’ve got get to a dealer to check this and maybe a Pelagos out.
Did these ever get an upgrade to the T fit bracelet?
Agree the Tudor is also a great option. I often wear mine on an aftermarket Jubilee bracelet from Forstner

upload_2024-2-16_16-52-41.png

If you want a fun summer beach watch with cool color options that’s less expensive but still highly respectable, check out the Zodiac Sea Wolf models.

Gen 3 Seamaster with the 2500D is a great companion to the Speedmaster. Bit smaller at 41mm and thinner than the current generation Seamaster. Cheaper too, can be had for about 3k, sometimes a tad less.

IMG_7407.jpeg IMG_7484.jpeg