Best Speedy wingman?

Gen 3 Seamaster with the 2500D is a great companion to the Speedmaster. Bit smaller at 41mm and thinner than the current generation Seamaster. Cheaper too, can be had for about 3k, sometimes a tad less.

IMG_7407.jpeg IMG_7484.jpeg

That`s the perfect trio, Speedy for space, Seamaster for the beach and Connie for the formals. 👍

Dig that jet black glossy dial of the Seamaster.

That`s the perfect trio, Speedy for space, Seamaster for the beach and Connie for the formals. 👍

Dig that jet black glossy dial of the Seamaster.
I think every Omega fan should have one from each collection to cover all the bases.

Congrats on your acquisition!

As far as an ideal Speedy wingman (or er, wingwatch), I think the Seamaster is the ideal companion in an multi-watch collection. Like you, I took a big breath when I dropped my money for my first Omega, took an even deeper breath when I got my second. Before I knew it, my collection was up to nine. Now back to the topic...

My first reaction when I read your post was to suggest the SMP but then seeing you already have a PO, I think you're already there. If "more substantial" is what you're looking for, I don't think it gets any better than the Planet Ocean 8900. It's an ideal poolside watch with plenty of presence. I have both the 8900 and the 2500. Despite the similarity, they are very different watches. To me, the 8900 is much more comfortable and is my go-to weekend warrior. It's great both on the bracelet and on a strap. It's achilles heel is the thickness, but is generally not much of an issue to me - On days of long sleeves with tight cuffs, I have other alternatives, including my 2500. I guess a lot depends on how big a wrist you have.

A second alternative to the Planet Ocean is the SMP 300M - also known as the Diver 300. Several pics were posted above for you by other members. Similar to the PO, it screams fancy yet sporty but it has a very different character. For starters, it's not quite as bulky as the PO and the wave dial would be right at home next to the pool. I have the 300M 75th Anniversary which is relegated to casual-dress duties when blue is the theme. Aesthetically though, I gravitate more towards the PO whose stick indices and applied numbers just appeal more to me.

Either way you go, you can't go wrong. Any of them are up to the task either on a dressy day or next to the pool. Also don't discount the Aqua Terras, although they spell a little more finesse than sport. Outside of Omega, your options are pretty much limitless.

Bottom line, I think you already have the perfect wingman/watch to your Speedy and if you still want to entertain other options, I would suggest you give it a long test drive before you let go of your PO because I have a hunch that if you do, you'll end up regretting it. Best of luck on your decision and enjoy your time by the poolside with whichever option you ultimately choose to adorn your wrist.

Here's some pics from my collection to give you some visual clues on the variety of options.

1000024301.jpg View attachment 1741390 1000025660.jpg 1000028232.jpg 1000026920.jpg 1000025492.jpg
Edited:

As far as an ideal Speedy wingman (or er, wingwatch), I think the Seamaster is the ideal companion in an multi-watch collection. Like you, I took a big breath when I dropped my money for my first Omega, took an even deeper breath when I got my second. Before I knew it, my collection was up to nine. Now back to the topic...

My first reaction when I read your post was to suggest the SMP but then seeing you already have a PO, I think you're already there. If "more substantial" is what you're looking for, I don't think it gets any better than the Planet Ocean 8900. It's an ideal poolside watch with plenty of presence. I have both the 8900 and the 2500. Despite the similarity, they are very different watches. To me, the 8900 is much more comfortable and is my go-to weekend warrior. It's great both on the bracelet and on a strap. It's achilles heel is the thickness, but is generally not much of an issue to me - On days of long sleeves with tight cuffs, I have other alternatives, including my 2500. I guess a lot depends on how big a wrist you have.

A second alternative to the Planet Ocean is the SMP 300M - also known as the Diver 300. Several pics were posted above for you by other members. Similar to the PO, it screams fancy yet sporty but it has a very different character. For starters, it's not quite as bulky as the PO and the wave dial would be right at home next to the pool. I have the 300M 75th Anniversary which is relegated to casual-dress duties when blue is the theme. Aesthetically though, I gravitate more towards the PO whose stick indices and applied numbers just appeal more to me.

Either way you go, you can't go wrong. Any of them are up to the task either on a dressy day or next to the pool. Also don't discount the Aqua Terras, although they spell a little more finesse than sport. Outside of Omega, your options are pretty much limitless.

Bottom line, I think you already have the perfect wingman/watch to your Speedy and if you still want to entertain other options, I would suggest you give it a long test drive before you let go of your PO because I have a hunch that if you do, you'll end up regretting it. Best of luck on your decision and enjoy your time by the poolside with whichever option you ultimately choose to adorn your wrist.

Here's some pics from my collection to give you some visual clues on the variety of options.

1000024301.jpg View attachment 1741390 1000025660.jpg 1000028232.jpg 1000026920.jpg 1000025492.jpg
Great advice from this community! I’m thinking maybe I sit tight for a few months as you all may be right that the Speedy/PO duo may be the right answer all along. Also wondering if the blingyness won’t bother me as much when it is not my daily driver.
And like all of those afflicted with the curse of “one more watch” is likely to bite me some point down the road!- so I’m sure I’ll have time to scratch the itch after enjoying this duo!

Whoa leave some watches for the rest of us.😉 Wonderful collection.

Hello! Longtime lurker, first post. I recently purchased a new generation sapphire Speedy about a month ago and really like it so far. Comfortable, accurate, looks awesome- ticks pretty much most of the boxes.
That said, I feel I want a complimentary watch that is better by the pool/beach and I could beat up a little more. Plus, maybe this is just my first impression, but the new bracelet on the Speedy isn’t exactly rugged looking and sometimes I want something a little more substantial.
My only other “good watch” is a blue Planet Ocean 8900 that I was actually planning on selling to help fund the Speedy. Love the watch in general, just found the bezel a little too blingy over time and kind of fell out of love with it. Problem is, now that I’m preparing to sell it- I’m wondering if I should just keep it as my wingman to the Speedy! It ticks a lot of boxes and maybe the bling won’t bother me when it’s not my main watch.

Any advice for a 1:2 combo with a Speedy?

thanks in advance!
I really like the vintage aesthetic, dimensions, fit and finish of the Trilogy Seamaster from 2017. I wear it a lot on the harder wearing days I don’t wish to knock the Speedy around on (fishing, beach swimming, camping).

Legibility, toughness in spades and style to boot it could easily be someone’s only watch and be able to be worn just about anywhere, just like the Speedmaster.