Forums Latest Members

Best packing and shipping practices?

1. peterkirk01 May 2, 2019

Where I live the local postal service will not accept jewellery or watches for delivery either locally or internationally. For overseas ( EU ) included you need a signed decleration stating what is in the parcel. My usual statement is " computer parts for repair " as I think ( hopefully) that most potential thieves will avoid anything for repair.

felsby and DaveK like this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 2, 2019

When you ship to another country and are filling out commercial invoices, there will be a harmonized tariff number that tells the customs officers in the receiving country what the item is.

However when you are filling in the description of the item, putting "watch" or "wrist watch" is not required. As someone has noted using "precision instrument" is the typical description that is accurate, yet not likely to inspire theft.

felsby, ahsposo, whyboddau and 3 others like this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 2, 2019

Where are you getting these prices from?

Keep in mind that FedEx rates for a shipment are not the same as what you get with ParcelPro. ParcelPro negotiates rates with the carriers they use, and when you sign up for ParcelPro you are getting a very good rate. You don't deal with FedEx directly, as everything is booked via the ParcelPro web site, and you pay ParcelPro, who in turns pays Fedex. ParcelPro has a lot of leverage to get good rates with carriers due to the volume of shipments they make via their customers.

I've had a few parcels that cost that sort of money, but those are usually insured for high values ($20k+ for example), or they are going a very long way (Canada to Hawaii or Australia). In most cases the price to ship a watch fully insured for several thousand dollars, is less than 1/2 what FedEx would charge someone walking in off the street and sending the parcel with zero insurance...

Cheers, Al

Medinatalzahra and befobe like this.
  4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 2, 2019

@Archer Those are FedEx rates for a smallish package out of France to the US or to Singapore within the past month or so.
    That was the quote from Fed Ex itself. Value of contents 120 euros in one case, 300 euros in the other.

In november of 2017 I had to ship about 30 pages of documents overnight from Paris to Ohio (that’s not even 10mm in thickness) and I paid 80 euros for it.
    DHL for the same documents would have charged about 70 euros corporate rate.
    I don’t have a Parcel Pro account and I cannot get one so I have no idea how much that would be on those same routes with a negociated fee but again for a 300 euro watch it’s clearly a non starter.
    How much do you think it’s worth?

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 2, 2019

I understand you can't get one. The point I was making is that using FedEx regular rates and saying using FedEx/ParcelPro (PP) would be too expensive is misleading, because the rates are extremely good using ParcelPro.

When you get a PP account, parcels are priced from your location to other destinations. I can't tell you what shipping a parcel from France to Singapore would cost. I've shipped watches to Singapore before and from Canada with $5k insurance, then yes it's about $75 (edited as I just went back to check on the last one) - that's about 1.5 times the distance from France just for comparison...

6. Retro_Rabbit May 7, 2019

Hi all.
    I'm a new member to the forum but I've been reading a few posts before I decided to apply to join. If you window shop for you next Omega online, Google starts to send you lots of posts for here and there's some really great posts here.
    This thread is very pertinent for me right now as I have a 1971 Geneve hummer that's needing a service and to be absolutely honest, I've been very worried about a couple of things, the risk of damage or theft as it travels in either direction and of course, finding the right person to send it to for the service to begin with.
    It won't need to go through customs (it will only need to travel to England from Scotland and back again) but I'm thinking about bubble wrapping the watch, popping it in a padded envelope, then putting that inside a watch box that I have (not a box for any of my watches, just a box I happen to have). I did think about using one of my other watch boxes with the little cushion etc. but I'd hate to lose any of those.
    I'd been thinking recently that I was over thinking the whole process and then I see this thread...
    The watch itself isn't particularly valuable but it does have personal value to me.
    Some great tips on here, hopefully I'll be able to get my little hummer serviced soon and I can get it into regular use. I've never seen the point in a watch that only sits in a box, in a drawer.

yande and Syrte like this.
  7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 31, 2019

Just received this from an auction house, as I was about to leave for work.
    They clearly followed all of the best advice because the package is heavier than I would have expected (suggesting added weight)— and the tape is so tightly sealed I had to give up opening it immediately.
    brown color tape makes it harder as you cannot see where exactly to insert a blade.

231A2BB5-0EBD-4DD3-BEF1-341578F6F115.jpeg
  8. CameronD Jun 1, 2019

Brilliant!

DaveK likes this.
  9. ipreferjester Jun 15, 2019

I have two go-to's: 1) double box with packing peanuts and bubble wrap (usually for anything >$5k) or 2) have a solid 3:1 ratio of bubble wrap to watch in a plastic bubble wrap-lined mailing envelope. Easiest ways to minimize any damage without spending 20$+ on the packaging alone, I find. :thumbsup:

10. sollman Jun 15, 2019

Very funny but provided it saves the watch from theft and damage, so cool.

11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 31, 2019

For those who ship in padded envelopes:

This morning I received a delivery of international registered mail (tracking and signature) — and after I signed I was stunned to discover the envelope delivered to me was OPEN.
    Not sure how it had been initially closed but I am inclined to believe someone cut the end to look inside, and tried to taped it back together in a hurry.
    When touching the packet from outside one could feel it contained a small oblong object. It was a vintage watch strap which has been rolled into some protective foam.
    I guess not many people ascribe value to vintage pigskin straps.
    Lesson: if you’re shipping in an envelope, the envelope better be indestructible or taped up to make it hard to cut. And either use cardboard or other stuff inside to make it impossible to detect a small object.

49BD678E-824C-4EBF-B2F3-27DFCB145881.jpeg BCE15339-5C4D-4786-BDBA-84E94BFB11D1.jpeg
    Edited Jul 31, 2019
    imageWIS, DaveK and ahsposo like this.
  12. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jul 31, 2019

Could it be custom's inspection?
    Or perhaps the sender reopened the envelope because he (or she) forgot something?

13. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 31, 2019

There is no customs inspection within the EU. And I doubt a seller would tape up carefully, reopen, and then retape carelessly. Anyhow I sent him pictures to find out, we’ll see if he replies.

felsby and Deafboy like this.
  14. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 31, 2019

USPS requires the use of paper tape (the kind where you wet the glued back) on all possible points of entry into a package for Registered Mail, all seams are then stamped multiple times with the PO location and date stamp. Even with self seal envelopes, I always seal it a second time with a strip of paper tape.

IMG_3442.jpg IMG_3443.jpg

felsby and Syrte like this.
  15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 5, 2019

That’s a good system, alas only works within a postal system which will indeed stamp the tape.

But I have found this and am quite happy, as it’s 1/ made out of recycled material and 2/ easy to write « don’t accept package if green tape has been cut ».

D2070E8E-E4E9-48B2-A72D-84EB9A6633DE.jpeg
  16. yande Aug 20, 2019

I was shocked when my Speedmaster turned up in the mail from New York some years back. (I'm in Australia.) On the description the seller had written in big bold letters, "OMEGA WATCH" ! Crikey! At least it did turn up, though I did learn some time later that the seller got caught in a Cheque Fraud where he had sold another watch and posted it out before the cheque had cleared. Anyways, I always write "Horological Instrument" as the descriptor for any watches I have sold.
    So far so good, though am nervous about a watch I sent to Brazil just over 2 weeks ago., Sitting in Brazil Customs awaiting clearnace at the moment. Fortunately I insured it ($380) with Australia Post, though, am unsure if that will help. I have now added South America as a country I do not sell to, after reading some stories, AFTER I sold the watch on Ebay. I read where it takes over 45 days to get delivered, and when it finally gets delivered, they have made a sucessful non delivery claim with Pay Pal, and end up with their money back and their watch eventually arrives too! Fingers crossed.

17. yande Aug 20, 2019

Welcome mate. I love the Hummer's. Unfortunately I had to move mine but they are a great conversation piece as well as a fine watch. Hope you get all you need here and hang around to add some more too!
    Best

18. Rochete Aug 22, 2019

South America is a subcontinent that contains twelve sovereign countries, each with its own customs.

Hope your watch passes through Brazil customs.

imageWIS and Syrte like this.
  19. yande Aug 22, 2019

Yes I am aware of that, though apologies for the lazy syntax. To be safe, I added all the countries.
    It has been sitting in Brazil Customs awaiting clearnace for exactly one week as of today. This is what I have read about. Hopefully it gets cleared and delivered before the 45 day post sale date....

20. cholack Aug 24, 2019

Go buy yourself a membrane box. This is the same way that Menta Watches ship and Habring2 uses a cardboard version of a membrane watch.

Double box as you should with crushed paper or foam peanuts, but there should be a bit of space as you don’t want to transmit any forces of impact directly between the outer and inner boxes

imageWIS likes this.