Forums Latest Members

Best packing and shipping practices?

1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 1, 2019

ParcelPro instructions are the best. Describing a watch as something other than a watch is always a good practice.

levkov, imageWIS, BatDad and 4 others like this.
  2. mr_smith May 1, 2019

That is pretty good, IMO. It'll also make me wonder if I've been a PITA if I receive packing peanuts ever in the future. :)

Wow, this is brilliant. Wish I'd thought of this for travel too, in the past. I think I'll use the idea if I need something other than my Oakley 'Vault' as I go through security.

3. abrod520 May 1, 2019

+1. I usually start with a padded envelope, but one of the plastic waterproof ones - just for extra protection in case of rain or a careless drop into a puddle etc. But always a larger outer box - nothing small and cubic, as that practically screams "jewelry". A FedEx box as suggested before does the job very well.

I also once received a watch in a box that was marked "Medical Records - Do Not Open" which I thought was a great idea, but that was a domestic shipment so probably wouldn't pass muster if you had to apply a customs label.

Syrte likes this.
  4. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus May 1, 2019

Even for cross-border shipments? Wouldn't that be considered a felony of some sort?

5. WatchShopping May 1, 2019

The Parcel Pro checklist is super helpful. To add, you can also use a padded envelope to wrap the watch box and then an outer box for that as well. The padded envelopes can be taken from a local FedEx for free. As for the outer box, I'm sure whichever delivery service you are using would offer the same. Also if you want to be extra safe, you can use packing peanuts or bubble wrap to cushion and minimize the shaking of the contents inside the box.

Definitely do not use watch as a description when you are shipping since that just screams "STEAL ME". We typically use precision instrument as a description instead.

marco, DaveK and Omegafanman like this.
  6. WatchCor May 1, 2019

I am no lawyer, but I feel that if the package is due to pass customs and the content is up for tax duties (VAT) or any other of sort of that kind, it is probably not a good idea to describe it as anything other than the actual content. For domestic(at least here) or a Free-Trade/Customs area (e.g. EU) it really doesn't matter because you don't haveto describe the content of the shipment, apart for the usual NOT-DRUGS-WEAPONS-RADIOACTIVE etc. disclaimer.

I sent a IWC watch to USA and I had to fill a very detailed export form detailing the approximate value of case, movement, dial and describe the metals and if it had any gemstones in it and etc. That was a hassle tbh:taunt:

Joe_A likes this.
  7. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus May 1, 2019

That sucks for sure.
    I'm surprised because for registered mail, everyone who handles the package has to sign for it. Would be risky to steal an item with such a written log of handling.

Muddlerminnow and Dan S like this.
  8. TexOmega May 1, 2019

good reminders, here

Syrte likes this.
  9. Omegafanman May 1, 2019

Noting the above post @Deafboy this is 100% true story which happened to me last year. I had an important item coming by Royal Mail Special delivery. I checked online and it said it was delivered. It was not my signature - just a wavy line... The company who sent the goods said 100% they were correct with all details (which was true)... and Royal Mail said 100% they were correct. After a couple of days a guy turned up at my house. He lived in a different street with the same house number. They had delivered it there by accident and his wife signed for it and forgot about it. He opened it and saw it was important / was honest enough to bring it to me. I think some companies now use GPS and take a photo to prove the correct house. If Royal Mail Special Delivery can screw up to this degree then nothing is 100% I am afraid.

Joe_A and BatDad like this.
  10. CaptainWinsor May 1, 2019

For the few watches I have sold, I use a hard shell eyeglasses case. Small and sturdy you can usually get them for free just for asking. I put that in a regular box with padding to avoid shaking.

DaveK and Syrte like this.
  11. michael22 May 1, 2019

I recently had a watch arrive in this. wrapped in bubbles inside & out, then put in a cheap postal bag. It seems perfect. It is also very slim & light, which can make postage a lot cheaper sometimes.
    I haven't sold much, but I try to be general, like " second hand items." 20190502_104848.jpg 20190502_104905.jpg

Joe_A, Syrte and Horoticus like this.
  12. BatDad May 1, 2019

I have limited experience with this - but I am always _very_ grateful when a purchase is wrapped in a bubble wrap and evelope. And secured to an inner box and then protected by an outer box.

It looks a nightmare to get the tape secure but once the inner package is surrounded by newspaper it seems to work.

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 1, 2019

Another tip for @Syrte, when you bubble wrap stuff, PLEASE DON'T USE CLEAR PACKING TAPE!

If possible, use another colour, and in either case, leave a little folded tab at the end of each tape wrap.

Your buyer will thank you for it.

I’m trying to unpack this at the moment, it’s a real PITA.

182D5A79-6B7D-40F8-80E7-B84BB0B72E45.jpeg

imageWIS, ahsposo and Observer like this.
  14. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF May 1, 2019

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^

And if it is clear please put an "X" or the like with marker on the tab.

I've received watches that required surgery to open.

imageWIS likes this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 1, 2019

Think Russian doll. The outer needs to be a good strurdy box. It will probably ship in a courier bag. Lots of layers of tape and bubble wrap. The harder you make it for the casual thief, the better. What you cannot ever accomplish is shock and vibration proofing. It’s going to get shaken no matter what. Always ship ensured for full value.

16. Dan S May 1, 2019

Sorry guys, I sincerely love and appreciate both of you, but I have absolutely no memories of problems unwrapping a watch. :)

My excitement level is so high when I receive a watch, that my razor blade slices surgically through the tape and bubble wrap in a nano-second with no problems whatsoever. :D

Scarecrow Boat, NGO1, 0uss and 5 others like this.
  17. kkt May 1, 2019

I often use old VHS tape containers as the inner or middle box. They're practically free as people junk their VHS, and are very rigid and protect what's inside. Yes to multilayer boxing, double box is a minimum and I'd recommend triple. More protection against being crushed or dropped or left out in the rain, more chances for an address label to survive.

Mark020, Syrte and michael22 like this.
  18. 77deluxe May 1, 2019

Double boxed, lots of bubble wrap, fully insured, parcelpro.

NT931 and imageWIS like this.
  19. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 2, 2019

I do it intentionally, in order to make things very hard and painful for a thief. It’s part of my deterrence system. Although maybe by the time anyone gets to the bubble wrap deterrence is a lost cause? In any event I’ve noticed sellers do seem to wrap things just the way you ask NOT be done.

PS what’s PITA? Other than flat mid-eastern bread or an animal protection society? Everyone keeps using this acronym in this thread.

Edit/ add- oops, I just understood “PITA” as you meant it. Translation for the international crowd which may not understand certain coded idioms. This means it’s a “real pain”, said with certain flourishes such as “pain in the rear end.”

20. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 2, 2019

Fully insured Parcel Pro means 1/ you’re using Fed Ex (ie international shipment costs 90 dollars- hardly cost efficient when the watch is 300 euros). 2/ it means you’re in a country where Parcel Pro is offered.

I would have liked to have a Parcel Pro account but I cannot, and yet I don’t want to lose a 300 euro or 500 euro watch. even if I know some people consider it “cheap” I don’t. And I don’t know who wants to pay 90 dollars or euros for FedEx if the watch is worth less than a certain sum they consider signifficant.

If you’re going to pay 90 euros for an express courrier, DHL seems to offer decent insurance out of certain european countries (up to 4500£ from UK and about 4000 euros from france last I checked) but from France it only works if it’s not a precious metal as there are regulations on shipping precious metals like gold or silver.

-Several experienced collectors have recommended EMS for “mid range” price watches, but the service doesn’t ship from where I live.

-That being said I know several people who use international registered mail, which seems indeed like the best alternative if you’re shipping from certain countries where EMS is not available.
    -Also from Switzerland I know someone who ships a lot through international registered mail.

Edited May 2, 2019