Forums Latest Members

Best Chance of Selling Success?

1. snunez Aug 8, 2019

I've decided to turn over a good part of my collection because I realise I do not like date complications and have been looking at various places to sell both Omega and non-Omega watches. EBay seems a bit of a PITA, and the eBay buyer scam problem that was recently discussed here is a bit worrisome.

Obviously OF is a good place to try, but I suspect it really is only a good market for a few brands. My still-under-warranty Nomos Tagente 130 has received little interest in the three weeks it has been listed, despite being half the price of a new model (maybe I need to do more bumping).

So that leaves a few choices, like eBay, Chrono24, TimePeaks and ChronoTrader, each with their pluses and minuses. ChronoTrader only allows 'tool' watch listings, TimePeaks is a Japanese website and you have to ship the watch to Japan, Chrono24 prohibits selling elsewhere for three months and eBay issues were discussed in the OF thread above.

Does anyone have a preferred location other than OF for selling? Where is the best return on time investment for a seller? I'm not out to make a profit; recovering costs to cover new acquisitions is the goal.

2. wsfarrell Aug 8, 2019

watchuseek.com is a reasonable sales venue. Listings there show up on watchrecon.com, which helps increase the exposure.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 9, 2019

It’s slow season. And some brands take a bit.
    People that want a Nomos buy a Nomos, it’s not a off the cusp purchase like a vintage Omega Seamaster

Place them here and see how you go.

sdre and tikkathree like this.
  4. snunez Aug 9, 2019

Good idea. I've been meaning to get over to that forum; I guess now I have a reason.

5. rkman11 Aug 9, 2019

I think OF is a great place to sell. Sure, some brands are more loved than others, but you get the benefit of extremely knowledgeable members, and then your watches are listed on WatchRecon as well so it brings in extra eyes outside this forum. But, like any other sales avenue, price will be the biggest deciding factor.

To be completely honest, I had the exact same Nomos and sold it about a year and a half ago for a little less than you’re currently asking. And I think in general Nomos prices have fallen.

So that would be my biggest selling advice: check out recent sales - not listings but actual sale prices. List below for a quick sale, right at for a sale that might take a few weeks or months, or price above and be willing to wait a while and see what happens.

I’d say definitely list them here. Members love unique and quality. Those rarely last long!

6. mrs_LA Aug 9, 2019

Reddit's Watchexchange is a great place to sell a Nomos.

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 9, 2019

Recent models sell pretty well on WUS but it sucks for vintage.

8. KeithS Aug 9, 2019

Have you tried selling locally? I've had success selling watches on both Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.

9. tikkathree Aug 9, 2019

You've done better than me at selling in FB marketplace. I seem to attract window-gazers.

FWIW, recent experience of Chronotrader is that there is/are (at least one) dishonest vendor there and personally I'd find it hard to go back: cowardly but there we are.

10. KingCrouchy Aug 10, 2019

I sell mainly on Chrono24. eBay is a Minefield.
    New Watches sell well, especially when priced well.
    I sold my Hamilton Khaki in 3 days, but the price was good.
    Vintage only sells well when it's from known brands.
    I sold some Omegas (sadly), and it sold quickly.
    No name vintage Brands are a disaster, I was trying to sell a Landeron 48 for pretty much a Year.::facepalm1::

Dsloan, Larry S and sdre like this.
  11. snunez Aug 10, 2019

I have tried, but here in Singapore all you typically get is ridiculous low-ball offers; few real buyers for second hand pieces, except for very specific vintage pieces that sell to the (few) true collectors.

thelinendial likes this.
  12. apsm100 applysome! Aug 10, 2019

eBay can be pretty good if local sales aren't an option. Just make sure you have a buyer filter set up and take a look at a potential buyers 'feedback left for others'; if they are giving out a bunch of negative feedbacks its probably best to not sell to them. :thumbsup:

13. Wryfox Aug 12, 2019

I know I'm one of the ones talking about the minefield of eBay, but really my point is to go in with both eyes open. Despite what eBay and Paypal say, protections are modest at best for the seller, as its heavily buyer weighted.

It's 10% flat rate commission for sales, ~3% for Paypal transaction, so 13% total (ie you end up with 87%).

So say what you want (and what I want) eBay is the most efficient market in the world for things like this, so sucking it up is what I do and millions of others do to gain exposure in that market.

That being said, if you are new to eBay, do not sell jewelry or watches, or anything of high value. You need to have some experience with the process to effectively market your item, gain the highest price, and stave off the fools.

Honestly, I could write a book about ebay after 21years (and dozens of others HAVE) but I still couldn't say I know the *best* way to manage it. It remains a fluid experience.

Edited Aug 15, 2019
    Taybharr likes this.