Being a kid again: A WRX, and the moding/tuning culture.

I grabbed myself a nice Outback Onyx XT 2 years ago ... it's a sleeper from hell, so many people don't except it to blow their doors off and it's fully stock. Can't wait for the warranty to expire so I can crack a chip in there along with some other minor improvements to breathing. However, I do live in the woods and spend lots of time in the dirt, so it's hard to have a vehicle that's much lower. 😁

In about a year I’ll be faced with the decision to keep or sell my e46 M3 when I pick up my new SUV. Sure that SUV is the 3rd fastest SUV on the planet, and an offroad beast, but will I miss the enjoyment that the M3 provides? While I regret selling it after owning it since 2007? The residual value on a well-kept e46 is considerable and goes a long way to paying off the new SUV, and I do not really have parking for it that I would not have to pay for.

Do the math. Is it worth keeping? Is it worth $X amount for your enjoyment?
The Rivian (I'm assuming that is what you still have coming) will be a beast for sure. Totally different car and awesome in its own way. But I think you'll miss the E46.
If you remember some time ago, I was contemplating ditching my GTI in favor of a Bronco to daily. Well, I ended up keeping the GTI and my wife got the Bronco.
I love the Bronco. I really do. But I still enjoy getting into my GTI and rowing through the gears. I would miss it if I didn't have it.
However this scenario had zero financial impact on me and I don't have a space problem.

Do the math. Is it worth keeping? Is it worth $X amount for your enjoyment?
The Rivian (I'm assuming that is what you still have coming) will be a beast for sure. Totally different car and awesome in its own way. But I think you'll miss the E46.
If you remember some time ago, I was contemplating ditching my GTI in favor of a Bronco to daily. Well, I ended up keeping the GTI and my wife got the Bronco.
I love the Bronco. I really do. But I still enjoy getting into my GTI and rowing through the gears. I would miss it if I didn't have it.
However this scenario had zero financial impact on me and I don't have a space problem.
Yup, the e46 is a sensational machine and unlike anything available today- last of the in-line naturally aspirated 6’s, low enough tech to not be silly but enough to be comfortable, one of the sexiest bodies ever made…you will miss it Foo, you will kick yourself down the line. Selling my e9 is still the biggest material regret of my life. I didn’t need the money but I had too many cars. Several cars since, that’s the one that got away.

I'd say keep it at first.
If you find yourself not driving it much, or it is more of a burden than it's worth...then ditch it.
But at least you'll know.

Edit: Also, I don't care about the driveway. 😝
I'm right there with you. That's why, if you were going to commit the time, it would have been a shame to do it with the sealant that was not the best product for the conditions. IF you were going to work, I wanted to help you be as efficient as possible. 😎

Yup, the e46 is a sensational machine and unlike anything available today- last of the in-line naturally aspirated 6’s, low enough tech to not be silly but enough to be comfortable, one of the sexiest bodies ever made…you will miss it Foo, you will kick yourself down the line. Selling my e9 is still the biggest material regret of my life. I didn’t need the money but I had too many cars. Several cars since, that’s the one that got away.
You sold an e9…
I am sorry for your pain.

I'm right there with you. That's why, if you were going to commit the time, it would have been a shame to do it with the sealant that was not the best product for the conditions. IF you were going to work, I wanted to help you be as efficient as possible. 😎
Yea I appreciate it. Thanks both of you guys for looking out. But watches are more important. 😁

Driveway is sloped. From Sika's PDS:

APPLICATION METHOD / TOOLS Recommended application temperatures: 40 to 100 °F (4 to 38 °C). Condition sealant to 65 to 75 °F (18 to 24 °C) before using. Cut plastic tip to desired size and puncture airtight seal at base of tip. NOT FOR SLOPED SURFACES. Maximum sealant depth is 1/2 in. (12.7 mm) and width is 1–3/4 in. (19-25.4 mm). Minimum depth is 1/4 in. (6.3 mm) and width is 1/4 in. (6.3 mm). Pour sealant into joint slot in one direction and allow sealant to flow and level out as necessary. Tool as required, although minimum tooling is necessary. Proper design is 2:1 width to depth ratio. Always use bond breaker tape or closed cell backer rod for support on horizontal joints. Uncured material can be removed with approved solvent. Cured material can only be removed mechanically. For spillage, collect, absorb, and dispose of in accordance with current, applicable local, state, and federal regulations.

This one is more suitable: https://usa.sika.com/dms/getdocumen...0a-9ecb-300212bb468d/sikaflex_concretefix.pdf

Not enough slope to warrant the amount of tooling it would take to get proper penetration. Self-leveling will tuck in and around the backer rod nicely, no tooling, and young jedi @Aroxx is done with the job quickly and back to his fart box and the forums speedy quick.
Just make sure you buy a good gun for the job, don't cheap out on that, and pop a nice pip dent in the back of the Sikaflex tube before loading it into the chamber.

Spent the better part of last summer doing exactly all this myself - massive amount of Q&A and self education - but in the end it saved me almost 14k in slab work. 14k that was directed toward watches, Win/Win.

@Aroxx trust me, fix the concrete lest it bite you in the ass financially down the road -- and if you're in a true four season climate (which I believe you made reference to when I commented on your tropical tan in a different thread) it'll pay off nicely.

Back to hot wheels ;-)

The topic of taking driving lessons came up before in this thread, so I wanted to share this link that I came across last night. I watched it again this morning. I already employed some of the principles that are discussed in the video and I see an improvement in my driving already.

As I was cruising around last week I saw this guy:

PXL_20230606_152059202.jpg PXL_20230606_152050849.jpg PXL_20230606_151948681.jpg PXL_20230606_151942820.jpg

@Evitzee was this the color you were talking about ? Owner obviously put a lot into it. Had STI seats, MOMO steering wheel among other things.

At my final stop for that day. I just had to do it
PXL_20230606_185727267.jpg

Bug eyes are the coolest. They just keep making the hood scoop smaller and smaller. It’s a shame. Here’s my dream blob eye STI except World Rally Blue over black. Back when they put the “scoop” in hood scoop.

IMG_0291.jpeg

And here’s an illustration for the uninitiated.

subaru-impreza-wrx-generations.jpeg subaru-impreza-wrx-generations (1).jpeg

I grabbed myself a nice Outback Onyx XT 2 years ago ... it's a sleeper from hell, so many people don't except it to blow their doors off and it's fully stock. Can't wait for the warranty to expire so I can crack a chip in there along with some other minor improvements to breathing. However, I do live in the woods and spend lots of time in the dirt, so it's hard to have a vehicle that's much lower. 😁

I also have the Outback XT. My wife wanted an Outback but as soon as I test drove the XT, I decided to sell my old 2007 v6 Mustang to help pay for the extra cost over the base. Couldn’t believe how much quicker the XT was and it is so much more comfortable.

Even got to use the AWD to climb over a curb a few weeks ago to help someone jump their car.

Only wish the air scoop was on top of the hood like the WRX and not hidden underneath.

In the way-back times I was looking for a post-divorce "fun" car that could take two booster seats, and be a DD. A buddy sent me towards a WRX but the salesman said that something new was coming in.....it was 2003 and I waited for the STi. It was a great car and a boatload of fun in all conditions. All that was available close by was COBB stuff and I put in everything that I could afford. The only pics I have of my car are the headlights that I converted to HIDs.
129-2966_IMG.jpg 129-2967_IMG.jpg

my daughters still talk about the picnic table on the back and squirrel shelter on the front.

In the way-back times I was looking for a post-divorce "fun" car that could take two booster seats, and be a DD. A buddy sent me towards a WRX but the salesman said that something new was coming in.....it was 2003 and I waited for the STi. It was a great car and a boatload of fun in all conditions. All that was available close by was COBB stuff and I put in everything that I could afford. The only pics I have of my car are the headlights that I converted to HIDs.
129-2966_IMG.jpg 129-2967_IMG.jpg

my daughters still talk about the picnic table on the back and squirrel shelter on the front.
Sweet! That’s the exact car I want. Those old STIs really hold their value if they’re not trashed.

Just getting around to posting this:

We traveled to the island of Chios Greece for vacation this past summer as we often do to visit my in-laws. This year the price for car rental has reached 70 euro a day - insanity. After a long discussion with my wife we decided that it no longer made any financial sense to continue to rent a car every summer. Up until now we have been going for ~3 weeks as that is all the PTO I am given each year; however, my wife doesnt work and has long discussed going for longer - 2 or 3 months in the summer to spend time with her parents. It gives an opportunity for our children to build memories with their maternal grandparents.

Given the car rental prices consistently going up each and every year and the fact my wife wants to spend more time there in the summer we decided it was time to purchase a car. Now came the fun part 😀. I searched through FB ads and car.gr to find a fun car to have urgh I mean a good family car. I quickly ran into a couple of issues though: being that Chios is an island you are very limited in terms of selection of whats for sale. For frame of reference the population on the island is only about 54,000. If you want to find something outside of an island that would entail booking travel - either boat or plane- to somewhere like Athens. Spend a couple of days looking at cars. Find a local mechanic you trust to bring the car to for them to give it a once over. Then pay to have the car put on a boat and brought back to Chios were you proceed with the tags, plates etc. Not really feasible for someone on a 3 week vacation. So I was left with searching Chios for cars. First I test drove a VW polo with a Audi TT engine swap.

***As a side note: test driving cars is Greece was a much different experience than here in the USA. In my experience test driving cars in the USA is all about the owner telling you to baby it. This guy in Greece was basically telling me to step on it harder at which point I informed him that my foot was to the floor and therefore I physically and literally couldnt *step on it* any harder.***

During my search I did find this:

PXL_20220804_153326636 (1).jpg

At first glance looks unassuming. Regular old WRX maybe. But a closer look reveals that something is off. Its not an imprezza. We can tell that from the Turbo. Its not a WRX since its 1.6L. I did a lot of searching and found subaru made a TS model with a 1.6L but very little information on a turbo version. I did find an old forum post that speculated that Subaru had made this specific model for the Greece market. In Greece there are heavy taxes levied on citizens who own cars above 1.6L. I checked that part out and found it to be true. So Subaru maxed out the engine size and then tacked on a turbo. Really interesting stuff and was fun to read about. Wasnt for sale tho 🙁

My search continued on until I was able to find an old listing for sale post from about a year and half back:

original_03ba1ea4-44a7-4209-8151-f98b9e985d54_PXL_20230825_115058828 (1).jpg

A 2001 WRX, 3rd owner. 191k KM on it. I inquired and indeed it still was for sale. The now owner was a mechanic who did all the work on the car himself. He installed AM handmade exhaust purchased from athens, a blowoff valve, STI dash, STI boost, headlights and engine temp gauges, roof scoop, decals etc.. The best part is he kept all of the original parts which were included in the sale. The price was too good to pass up. Especially when I compared them to what prices would normally go for here in the states. I decided to purchase. A WRX is a great car for Greece as many of the roads have many turns, are very windy, on the edge of a cliff, and often dont even have guard rails. WRX being a rally car is perfect. Fun to drive, AWD, good power for climbing those mountains, and can hold the 2 car seats for the kids.

Hope you guys found it interesting. Wanted to share.

That's great! Ask the mechanic to put in one of those tall handbrakes like the rally cars have so your wife can slide it around the curves easier.