Being a kid again: A WRX, and the moding/tuning culture.

No doubt that is true. An enhanced skill set for doing anything is never a bad thing. I was simply referring to those who mistakenly think that gobs of power, all wheel drive and a finely tuned chassis and suspension will enable them to drive like the Dukes of Hazard without consequences - both legal and mortal.
Exactly -- that's why it's good to learn about the capabilities of a car in a controlled setting (on track, skidpad, etc.), as well as how to recognize when thigs are starting to go south and how to correct without upsetting the car. Add 10 mph to your offramp speeds all while keeping you car much more composed then most other drivers, who can loop it or drive off at much lower speeds.

I'm
I had one of the first WRX's when they finally came to the US in early 2001, a limited edition in Blaze Yellow. Was transferred to Halifax, NS for 2 1/2 years and it was great in the snow, especially the blizzard of 2004. The next time I looked for a turbo charged four door compact in 2015 I cross shopped/compared the WRX, VW GTI and the Ford Focus ST. At that time about 2/3 of the WRX's and GTI's were spec'd with auto transmissions, the sales guys said that's what the people wanted, they didn't want manual transmissions anymore. It has to be even worse now, people have fallen out of love with the joy of driving. Anyway, went with the Focus ST as it gave more features for less money, it only came with a 6 speed manual. I swore I would never buy another American car since the disaster I had with a 1976 Ford Mustang II, the worst car I ever had. But my ST is coming up on 8 years with zero problems, just change oil and rotate tires and it keeps on rolling. Unfortunately Ford stopped selling ST's and RS's in America after 2018 to focus on their big money makers, trucks and SUV's, and now EV's. Too bad. Like BB King's song, "The Thrill Is Gone", the thrill is mostly gone on affordable, turbo charged, manual transmission fun cars.

I'm coming up on 8 years with my GTI, which coincidentally I test drove a WRX beforehand as well hah.
I was coming from an older GTI and wanted to switch it up, but in the end, I stuck with the GTI.

I'm
I'm coming up on 8 years with my GTI, which coincidentally I test drove a WRX beforehand as well hah.
I was coming from an older GTI and wanted to switch it up, but in the end, I stuck with the GTI.
In the end it was a close call, all three drove great with very similar road dynamics and similar power. I wanted a RED car and red cars are not popular anymore, trying to find a red GTI or WRX just wasn't fruitful, and there were only two red Focus ST's in the Austin/San Antonio area at the high trim level I wanted (leather Recaro seats, navigation, better audio system, special brake calibers), so that was the final push. In general the color of vehicles these days are blah, blah and more blah. White, black, silver, grey...it's really depressing.

I just couldn't give up the hatch life! hah. I'm honestly not sure how I ever will be able to....

I just couldn't give up the hatch life! hah. I'm honestly not sure how I ever will be able to....
Ah, yes, the hatch is great. Too bad Subie dropped the hatchback some years ago for the American market, just four door sedans in the WRX line.

Flip side of this -- go do some track events and 1) learn how capable your car is (much more than you think with respect to emergency maneuvering), and 2) develop some good car handling skills. You'll be amazed at how much more momentum you can maintain, and how much more stable your car can be.

I loved the Porsche Car Control clinics. I learned how to drive so great after them. Threshold breaking, skidpads, slaloms. Oh man, I am a better driver for it and everyone should have that type of training. 😀

I had one of the first WRX's when they finally came to the US in early 2001, a limited edition in Blaze Yellow. Was transferred to Halifax, NS for 2 1/2 years and it was great in the snow, especially the blizzard of 2004. The next time I looked for a turbo charged four door compact in 2015 I cross shopped/compared the WRX, VW GTI and the Ford Focus ST. At that time about 2/3 of the WRX's and GTI's were spec'd with auto transmissions, the sales guys said that's what the people wanted, they didn't want manual transmissions anymore. It has to be even worse now, people have fallen out of love with the joy of driving. Anyway, went with the Focus ST as it gave more features for less money, it only came with a 6 speed manual. I swore I would never buy another American car since the disaster I had with a 1976 Ford Mustang II, the worst car I ever had. But my ST is coming up on 8 years with zero problems, just change oil and rotate tires and it keeps on rolling. Unfortunately Ford stopped selling ST's and RS's in America after 2018 to focus on their big money makers, trucks and SUV's, and now EV's. Too bad. Like BB King's song, "The Thrill Is Gone", the thrill is mostly gone on affordable, turbo charged, manual transmission fun cars.
It is too bad they stopped making them. The ST is a cool ride and the RS is a beast. My cousin had an ST that got rear ended and totaled and he couldn’t replace it. I’m not sure about that sales guys data but from what I’ve gathered in recent times the WRXs are primarily sold as manuals and the CVTs are very rare. The STI is not offered with an automatic. It’s one of the main reasons people buy them.

And when that day comes where it is mandated and not an option, and the Nannie’s built into the car overrule my input and decisions (I have intentionally avoided those features)- I will no longer own a car and just take Uber or Lyft everywhere. If I want an appliance, I have a dishwasher for that.
I expect that it’s inevitable, James. Most new cars have at least some level of self driving and/or automated safety features like automated emergency braking, stop and go radar cruise control for heavy traffic and lane departure correction. Many of Ford’s vehicles will drive themselves on interstate highways and can parallel park without driver assistance. These technologies, whether you like them or not, can be life saving. My car has prevented me from colliding with deer twice, including once at night in fog - the car saw the deer long before I did. You may not like being nannied, but such systems are already protecting you in places that you probably don’t even think about. Commercial air travel is a good example. Most airliners are fully capable of landing themselves in an emergency via an airport’s ground based ILS system with minimal pilot involvement.

In about a year I’ll be faced with the decision to keep or sell my e46 M3 when I pick up my new SUV. Sure that SUV is the 3rd fastest SUV on the planet, and an offroad beast, but will I miss the enjoyment that the M3 provides? While I regret selling it after owning it since 2007? The residual value on a well-kept e46 is considerable and goes a long way to paying off the new SUV, and I do not really have parking for it that I would not have to pay for.

I bought a 1997 Impreza L wagon new. Over time it has received donor parts from 30 cars plus some new bits and bobs. It now runs an STi version Iii drive train with a bunch of mods. AutoX'd it for many years. Subarus are fun.

Best of luck to you with yours.

I bought a 1997 Impreza L wagon new. Over time it has received donor parts from 30 cars plus some new bits and bobs. It now runs an STi version Iii drive train with a bunch of mods.
Sounds like you've been having a lot of fun with it 😎

Sounds like you've been having a lot of fun with it 😎
Yes, but I still have no vape pipe and not even one tattoo. I am considering a small tattoo of the dog in my avatar, but definitely no flat bill hats!

You have a pic of that yellow WRX?

Is all this code for: Fart Car Thread?

Sidebar-
@Aroxx you should put some foam backer rod and then self-leveling Sikaflex around that loose slab in the driveway.

You have a pic of that yellow WRX?
Sorry, I don't. But you can Google 2002 Subaru WRX Blaze Yellow and some pics should come up, it's a soft buttercream yellow. A few years later they introduced a 'Sonic Yellow' but it was more of a taxi cab or French's mustard yellow, not as attractive, imo.

I
@Aroxx you should put some foam backer rod and then self-leveling Sikaflex around that loose slab in the driveway.
Driveway is sloped. From Sika's PDS:

APPLICATION METHOD / TOOLS Recommended application temperatures: 40 to 100 °F (4 to 38 °C). Condition sealant to 65 to 75 °F (18 to 24 °C) before using. Cut plastic tip to desired size and puncture airtight seal at base of tip. NOT FOR SLOPED SURFACES. Maximum sealant depth is 1/2 in. (12.7 mm) and width is 1–3/4 in. (19-25.4 mm). Minimum depth is 1/4 in. (6.3 mm) and width is 1/4 in. (6.3 mm). Pour sealant into joint slot in one direction and allow sealant to flow and level out as necessary. Tool as required, although minimum tooling is necessary. Proper design is 2:1 width to depth ratio. Always use bond breaker tape or closed cell backer rod for support on horizontal joints. Uncured material can be removed with approved solvent. Cured material can only be removed mechanically. For spillage, collect, absorb, and dispose of in accordance with current, applicable local, state, and federal regulations.

This one is more suitable: https://usa.sika.com/dms/getdocumen...0a-9ecb-300212bb468d/sikaflex_concretefix.pdf

I love how we’re now talking about the condition of my driveway lol. I have a lot of things I need to do around here. Spread a little thin at the moment. Driveway is pretty far down the list.

Maybe spend less time on forums?

😁
Agreed, it's become an addiction. Watches have become my distraction from everything else and I've fallen out with some of my other hobbies. Bit too much of a distraction for sure.

Edit: Also, I don't care about the driveway. 😝
Edited: