Being a kid again: A WRX, and the moding/tuning culture.

I got my first car during the second semester of my junior year of highschool. It was an eagle talon. I believe a 5 speed manual transmission. It wasn't the Subaru WRX STI that all the cool kids had but it was my car and it was fun to drive. My uncle and dad took me to my high schools parking lot on that saturday evening and I spent a couple of hours learning how to drive stick shift. It felt and came pretty natural. The next day I took the car out by myself and drove it all over town.
Since that first car everything that came after was dull. More practical. Automatic, good fuel economy, monotonous. Than something happened. In the summer of 22' I drove that same uncles porsche 911 996 aerokit. I was hooked. It reminded me just how much I actually love to drive manual transmission cars. It gave me the itch. So I set off on a journey. A 911 was and quite possibly might always be out of reach for me. After countless hours looking at different cars online I initially fell in love with the BMW E30. It seemed to tick the right boxes: manual transmission, something good for cornering, lightweight, LSD and RWD. But I ran into a couple of problems. Because I didnt have the financial means for just a fun toy the car needed to be a daily driver and I had some reservations about driving a 30yr old car daily. That and maintenance can obviously be very expensive. So while I absolutely love the way those cars look and the history behind them I had to move on. I then started looking at various coupes, boxters, zr3, miatas etc. After some back and forth with the ol' ball and chain those also were all out. She added more boxes to the list. It needed to be a sedan so we could install car seats for the kiddos. So on the search went. Than one night I remembered something. Those beautiful rally racing blue that all those cool kids use to drive back in highschool. It was a ureka moment. 4 doors, AWD so good in snow, 6sp manual transmission, good fuel economy if driven responsibly but enough under the hood to still have fun with. I searched for about 2 weeks and finally found the one. They gave me 8800 for my 95k mile honda civic (insane I know, I have no idea what is going on in the car market) and there car was very fairly priced with some AM improvements. So 17 years later that highschool kid finally got his WRX and let me tell ya I have been having a blast. My only regret? I didn't do this 5 years ago.
As I have been driving around on these back country roads I have now gained an appreciation for those individuals who like to tinker with engines. While I don't see myself necessarily taking that step due to time constraints it finally does make sense to me. There is something to be said about taking a car out and driving it around, going back home and making some modifications and taking back out to see if you can notice any improvements. I bought mine used and it came with some AM improvements already installed. I am still green, very new to cars but do have an interest. I'd appreciate reading other peoples stories or any advice on my own journey going forward.

PXL_20230502_100852990~2.jpg PXL_20230509_225725436 (1).jpg

Fond memories as I started my first job working for the Subaru distributor and got to drive a WRX STi a few times.

Congratulations, looks like a very nice toy! I used Cobb tuning years ago on a different car, which I had to sell after having my first child. I don’t know if that’s still the case, but they were widely used in the Subaru tuning community back then. They made flashing the ECU and loading maps very easy compared to other options available at that time.

Congrats on the car! I’m so happy you made this thread. I think we are long lost brothers. I have the same car, 2018. Party up front, two kid seats in the back. Subie gang unite! My first car was a Z28 Camaro V8 5 speed that I actually just posted in the "classic car" thread. When I was in HS a Senior got the brand new, first ever "bug eye" WRX. It was the coolest car around. I always wanted one. I felt similar later with my crappy beat up '87 Camaro but it was still fun! For me, a stick shift is a requirement so the list of potential cars is small. When I needed a new car the WRX was pretty much it.

I got the base model too so for me the headlight upgrade and eventually new wheels were first on the list. Oh and I got the Nameless axle-back exhaust immediately for some noise. Removed badges and blacked out everything I could. I wanted an Accessport but didn't want to void my warranty. I'm out of warranty now and wanted to go Stage 1 but don't feel like putting money into the car. Maybe eventually I'll go Stage 2 with the down-pipe. We'll see. Message me if you want to chat. I'm no expert but I know a thing or two about the common WRX stuff. Maybe we can do a meetup at Boxerfest. It's probably not too far for you. I went years ago when it was down in Delaware and it was a lot of fun to see like 1000 modded Subies all roll in. I got a speeding ticket on the drive down. ::facepalm1::

Some pics of the car, headlight job, and my fresh wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires that grip like super glue. Oh and the easy shifter mod to take all the slack out by 1st and 2nd.

IMG_3969.jpeg IMG_3966.jpeg IMG_0553.jpeg IMG_0562.jpeg IMG_0567.jpeg IMG_8331.jpeg IMG_8325.jpeg IMG_0125.jpeg

Oh, I meant to ask, who's STI in the driveway? I hope more join this thread. There are too many Porsche fanboys here! 😜

How’s the vape pen modding? 😉

Brother from another mother! Thanks so much for the story. Our stories sound very similar indeed. Did you do all the work to your car yourself? I really like what you did and the theme you got going on. It seems that generation of WRX the white is the most common. I really like the blue. I am starting to learn about all the stages and stuff slowly overtime. I bought mine with a 1)Gsport high flow catalytic converter 2) stainless exhaust sytem 3) mishimoto cold air intake 4) mishimoto air tube 5) grimmspeed wastegate all already installed. It must have been tuned but that tune is def not right as its running pretty rich. I plan on getting that all sorted out and have appointment end of June for general maintenance, correcting tune and adding an AOS for longevity. That will be all my fun money for the year. Next year I plan on getting new tires and wheels as most people are saying that is the best bang for your buck improvement in performance.

Oh, I meant to ask, who's STI in the driveway? I hope more join this thread. There are too many Porsche fanboys here! 😜

Not an STi base model. It's my godsons. Uncle who owns the porsche 911 996 aerokit sons car.

PXL_20230416_165321581.jpg
Brother from another mother! Thanks so much for the story. Our stories sound very similar indeed. Did you do all the work to your car yourself? I really like what you did and the theme you got going on. It seems that generation of WRX the white is the most common. I really like the blue. I am starting to learn about all the stages and stuff slowly overtime. I bought mine with a 1)Gsport high flow catalytic converter 2) stainless exhaust sytem 3) mishimoto cold air intake 4) mishimoto air tube 5) grimmspeed wastegate all already installed. It must have been tuned but that tune is def not right as its running pretty rich. I plan on getting that all sorted out and have appointment end of June for general maintenance, correcting tune and adding an AOS for longevity. That will be all my fun money for the year. Next year I plan on getting new tires and wheels as most people are saying that is the best bang for your buck improvement in performance.

Just a word of caution, Niko, from your friend and fellow watch nerd. There is no car on Earth, no matter how well engineered, that can overcome the laws of physics. The temptation to drive those superbly engineered cars as though they can do so always leads to the same place. Don't forget the wife and kids at home when that temptation arises - and it will. Be safe.

Yes, I did everything myself except for the tint. I leave that to the pros. Mostly cosmetic stuff. The headlights was the biggest job. Separating and painting the headlight unit is a pain and time consuming. I should get a AOS. I kind of went hard on everything in the beginning then chilled out. Kind of like what happens with watches. Sometimes the obsession comes on strong. I did noticed it looked like you had an aftermarket exhaust. Let me know if you're interested in Boxerfext and I'll try to make it happen. Would be more fun than going alone. I pencil it in on my calendar every year but only went once years ago.
https://www.boxerfest.com/

How’s the vape pen modding? 😉
I actually started doing vaping competitions the same day I bought the car. 😁

Not an STi base model. It's my godsons. Uncle who owns the porsche 911 996 aerokit sons car.

PXL_20230416_165321581.jpg
Red badges tricked me. You guys should both do the headlight mod together. It looks so much better blacked out with the DRLs. I did it a long time ago but I can tell you what I remember if you want.

Red badges tricked me. You guys should both do the headlight mod together. It looks so much better blacked out with the DRLs. I did it a long time ago but I can tell you what I remember if you want.

I am definitely very, very interested. It will all depend on the new babys passport situation. We are going to try to go to Greece around that time. If it ends up not working out and I am still in the country I am 100% down.

Very cool to see, thanks for sharing! I was debating getting a new Wrx while I was car shopping. I loved it but didn't love that it got the same gas mileage as the F-150 I used to have ::facepalm1::. But still a cool car and I enjoy seeing what people do with them!

Just a word of caution, Niko, from your friend and fellow watch nerd. There is no car on Earth, no matter how well engineered, that can overcome the laws of physics. The temptation to drive those superbly engineered cars as though they can do so always leads to the same place. Don't forget the wife and kids at home when that temptation arises - and it will. Be safe.
Flip side of this -- go do some track events and 1) learn how capable your car is (much more than you think with respect to emergency maneuvering), and 2) develop some good car handling skills. You'll be amazed at how much more momentum you can maintain, and how much more stable your car can be.

Very cool to see, thanks for sharing! I was debating getting a new Wrx while I was car shopping. I loved it but didn't love that it got the same gas mileage as the F-150 I used to have ::facepalm1::. But still a cool car and I enjoy seeing what people do with them!
The STI gets poor gas mileage but the new WRX can do over 30mpg cruising on the highway.

Flip side of this -- go do some track events and 1) learn how capable your car is (much more than you think with respect to emergency maneuvering), and 2) develop some good car handling skills. You'll be amazed at how much more momentum you can maintain, and how much more stable your car can be.
No doubt that is true. An enhanced skill set for doing anything is never a bad thing. I was simply referring to those who mistakenly think that gobs of power, all wheel drive and a finely tuned chassis and suspension will enable them to drive like the Dukes of Hazard without consequences - both legal and mortal. My expectation is that self-driving cars will soon be coming our way and that technology will further constrain our ability to drive, shall we say, enthusiastically, on roads and highways other than those like race tracks and off road courses that are intended for that purpose.
Edited:

Congrats on the WRX and finding your love of driving again.
It is indeed fun.

My expectation is that self-driving cars will soon be coming our way and that technology will further constrain our ability to drive, shall we say, enthusiastically, on roads and highways other than those like race tracks and off road courses that are intended for that purpose.
And when that day comes where it is mandated and not an option, and the Nannie’s built into the car overrule my input and decisions (I have intentionally avoided those features)- I will no longer own a car and just take Uber or Lyft everywhere. If I want an appliance, I have a dishwasher for that.

I'm conflicted man. Some days I WISH cars drove themselves. Only because everyone else on the road is a straight up IDIOT.
Except for me of course lol.

W1plB5.gif

url

I had one of the first WRX's when they finally came to the US in early 2001, a limited edition in Blaze Yellow. Was transferred to Halifax, NS for 2 1/2 years and it was great in the snow, especially the blizzard of 2004. The next time I looked for a turbo charged four door compact in 2015 I cross shopped/compared the WRX, VW GTI and the Ford Focus ST. At that time about 2/3 of the WRX's and GTI's were spec'd with auto transmissions, the sales guys said that's what the people wanted, they didn't want manual transmissions anymore. It has to be even worse now, people have fallen out of love with the joy of driving. Anyway, went with the Focus ST as it gave more features for less money, it only came with a 6 speed manual. I swore I would never buy another American car since the disaster I had with a 1976 Ford Mustang II, the worst car I ever had. But my ST is coming up on 8 years with zero problems, just change oil and rotate tires and it keeps on rolling. Unfortunately Ford stopped selling ST's and RS's in America after 2018 to focus on their big money makers, trucks and SUV's, and now EV's. Too bad. Like BB King's song, "The Thrill Is Gone", the thrill is mostly gone on affordable, turbo charged, manual transmission fun cars.
Edited: