Forums Latest Members
  1. Bigmuddy Mar 29, 2014

Hello everyone.
    I am new to the forum but have been looking through numerous posts over the past few weeks. I have just recently caught the watch "bug" and have been searching for a nice vintage timepiece. (I apologize in advance if this topic has already been discussed ad nauseum - but I haven't been able to find a similar posting.)

Through my online searches, I have really taken a liking to the Omega and Longines brands due to their simplicity, elegance, and timeless looks - not to mention the quality. The 50's to 60's vintage is where I have been focusing my efforts since they are "pre-quartz", but not too old to be worn frequently.

I would certainly appreciate some recommendations as to Omega or Longines models from that era that would be a good "starter" piece that I could use for daily wear. I am not (yet) a collector so was thinking a spending a few hundred for my first purchase (which is hopefully realistic). I have been trying to educate myself by paying close attention to the discussions regarding the type of movement, servicing, as well as the details that render a piece authentic or franken or fake.

Finally, if there are recommendations of respectable online sites to purchase a vintage watch from (besides eBay and the forum's FS thread), I would be very appreciative of that as well.

Many thanks and I'll look forward to being able to contribute to the forum going forward.

GH

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 29, 2014

What's the price range you're looking at?

3. ulackfocus Mar 29, 2014

Hi GH. As a collector of both brands who concentrates on the era you're looking at I think I can help. It depends a lot on your budget as Ash / dsio mentions above so what are you hoping to spend?

Generally, you'll find Longines to be a bit less expensive than Omega.

4. ulackfocus Mar 29, 2014

Oh, and were you looking for a manual wind or automatic?

5. Bigmuddy Mar 29, 2014

I don't know if I'm being realistic, but was thinking up to $400ish. Would ideally like to be in the $300 range if possible.

6. Bigmuddy Mar 29, 2014

Thanks Dennis and Ash.
    Dennis, our posts must have crossed. Price range above and an automatic would be preferred but I know I'm probably pushing it in that price range.

7. ulackfocus Mar 29, 2014

It's still possible to find a decent watch for under $400. Don't expect a mint specimen though, but I doubt you'd want one in near new condition if it's going to be a daily driver.

All Longines manual movements from that period will serve you fine. Any incarnation of the 23Z, 30L, 370, or any other hand cranker will do, although it will be easier to score a 370 or 23Z of some sorts within your budget. Longines automatics are trickier. I'd avoid any from the Grand Prize group, whether it's the 34x or 35x series. They're good movements, just not exactly for beginners. Same with the high beat Ultra-Chron calibers from the 43x series - more maintenance involved. The most durable, and my personal favorite, is the 29x series. These were made in the very late 50's through the mid 60's and often powered Conquests. There was the non-date 290, date 291, and date + power reserve 294. You won't score a power reserve for under $400 unless you get it from a crazy seller who doesn't know how the internet works and is stuck living in 1979 though.

Omega is simpler in the 60's. For an automatic, look for a watch housing a 55x non-date or 56x date caliber. With your budget, a Genève or Seamaster DeVille is quite doable. When shopping for manual movements, a 600 series is a great choice too. The 26x and 28x are earlier movements and would be excellent also. I don't know if I'd go with a 50's bumper 34x or 35x for a starter Omega even though they are durable calibers.

citizenrich likes this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 29, 2014

Probably Longines is your best bet, the suggestions Dennis made above are all excellent

9. Bigmuddy Mar 29, 2014

Thank you both for the recommendations. There is a lot for me to learn.

I've been watching a Grand Prize on eBay but there are no pictures of the movement, so I think I'll steer clear - especially in light of your comments. Is the issue with the 34 x and 35x the off-center weight?

There is also a Seamaster Cosmic that I've been following with a 752 movement. Do have any thoughts on that particular movement?

eBay has been the main site I search. Are there other on line sites you would recommend I take a look at?

Thanks again.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 29, 2014

The 752 movement is excellent, hard to ask for better

11. ulackfocus Mar 29, 2014

We're here to help. You might want to glance at this for more info on Longines automatics:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/longines-vintage-automatics.411/

It's not because the rotor is off-center, it's the way it's balanced and the bearings at the hub.

The 75x is the same as the 56x but with a day wheel added so it's a good one.

You could try these to search watch forums for sales listings:

http://www.watchdealseeker.com

http://www.watchrecon.com

Etsy is a smaller alternative to eBay, but you still have to know what you're doing and sort through much more than watches:

https://www.etsy.com

We do occasionally post decent eBay watches in these threads too:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/recommended-longines-watches-on-ebay.3388/

http://omegaforums.net/threads/recommended-vintage-omega-watches-on-ebay-not-inquiries.1790/

12. Bigmuddy Mar 30, 2014

Thank you Dennis. This is invaluable. Looking forward to posting an "incoming" in the next few weeks.

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 30, 2014

Longines cal. 19A or 19AS should be available in your price range. I would be leery of the cheaper vintage Omegas at this price point.

Just too much funny stuff going on with lower price watches on eBay. If you can find a nice one here, maybe.

Good luck on your search,
    gatorcpa

14. Bigmuddy Mar 30, 2014

Thanks Gator. Your input is very much appreciated.

15. ainterian Mar 31, 2014

The bargains are out there. You just need to know what to look for. I recently saw a nice UG mechanical go for under $200, and I picked up an honest / decent omega cal 560 automatic for a bit over $200. Running pretty good at +12 sec/day. Not sure if that is along your interests, but keep looking! Also, I've started avoiding ebay sellers that specialize in selling watches, and focus on small mom and pop shops and independent sellers. They seem to offer more unadulterated samples at lower price points.

16. ainterian Mar 31, 2014

17. Bigmuddy Mar 31, 2014

Thank you ainterian.
    You've brought up one of my concerns with this posting - real or imagined. I've seen a lot of nice pieces on eBay from Eastern European and South American sellers. Should I have any hesitation in buying an item from an international seller? What has been the experience of the forum members who have done this in the past?

18. ulackfocus Mar 31, 2014

You should DEFINITELY have hesitation about those two areas.

19. Bigmuddy Mar 31, 2014

Thanks Dennis. I didn't want to offend any of the legit sellers from those regions, but my gut was telling me to avoid those listings. ::confused2::

20. ulackfocus Mar 31, 2014