Forums Latest Members

Barton quick release straps. What do you think?

1. Engee Sep 30, 2020

I’m looking at buying a few straps and see Barton’s are very reasonably priced well recommended here.

While I can see the benefit of the quick release mechanism for people who like to swap out straps on a regular basis, that’s not me. I’m more one to find the right strap for the watch and leave them together. It may take a few different trials and occasionally I may decide to replace a strap on a whim, but basically I leave them alone once I’ve found a pairing I like.

The quick release would therefore be a complication I don’t need, and complications tend to increase the risk of failure, so should I give Barton straps a miss look for conventional spring-bar straps, or, given the value for money and range, would you say I’m unlikely to find better straps at the price anyway?

2. NT931 Sep 30, 2020

Lots of alternatives:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/«wa...-buy-good-quality-leather-watch-straps.82232/

LesXL and Engee like this.
  3. GreekOmega Sep 30, 2020

Hello!

This caught my eye because you said Barton. I have a ton of quick-release watch straps and it seems "Fossil" was one of the first pioneers in it that I could find years ago. I never had any problems with them and I feel much safer in terms of making a mistake that can scratch a watch in a traditional spring bar or if the spring bars pop out funny and scratch the lugs.

I purchased a Barton sail-cloth strap and put it on my watch thinking it would be higher quality. Then I noticed that that peg used to pull back the latch had broken off and the strap was stuck to my watch. I had to try to fit a little tool to find the a way to pull back the lever since they are straight pins and couldn't do it like a traditional spring at the lug.

Sorry for the long story, but to be short: Quick release straps create a level of ease. You mentioned that you do not like to swap out straps on a regular basis, however, you may be more inclined to now with a quicker and more efficient way to do so. On any given day, I may want to wear a particular watch, but don't want to have that deciding factor be that the strap doesn't match my style or mood.

I think they are well worth it, I just had a bad experience from Barton, whom I expected to be better. I have had Fossil ones (sounds crazy, but their straps are actually well made with genuine leather and relatively cheap) that last me forever and never have had a malfunction.

thelinendial and Engee like this.
  4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 30, 2020

I have a few, and if you buy three then the price is quite reasonable. I think at the price point, and if you need three straps it is worth the amount they are asking. I really like the rubber and the canvas ones. I was not so thrilled with the sail cloth. It was not bad, but not near as good as the rubber or canvas. I think I paid like 15-20 each, I can't recall exactly. My son has the canvas on his daily wear and it has been holding up well. The quick release is so very convenient. I wore a watch on barton rubber for 3 weeks straight and had no issues.

Engee likes this.
  5. w@tcher Sep 30, 2020

I like the bands with quick release for my Speedies...
    I'm always afraid of scratching the lugs anytime i replace the bands, that's why i prefer the quick releases.

You can also check many leather cheap straps with quick release at the cheapesnatostraps.com.

I have ordered some and waiting to receive them in order to check the quality...

thelinendial, Engee and GreekOmega like this.
  6. Gasman Sep 30, 2020

I like Barton straps just for design, the quick release is a bonus.

Engee likes this.
  7. Evitzee Sep 30, 2020

I wouldn't rule out the Barton's just because of the quick release feature. It makes changes easy and error free. Quick release springbars are no more prone to failure then simple spring bars in my experience.

thelinendial likes this.
  8. thelinendial Sep 30, 2020

Can’t comment on Barton but a big fan of quick release straps for over 2 years now with no issues

Just keep in mind that with certain quick release you can see the metal when checking the time. The ones I favour are from Delugs.

Edited Nov 6, 2021
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 30, 2020

I also own a fossil strap on one of my watches. They tend to 22mm and larger. Decent if thick...

well made to last and cheap.

GreekOmega likes this.