Forums Latest Members
  1. PaulC77 Jul 7, 2021

Well this dropped in my inbox today...

1ECE9BBA-838C-4E38-9200-30D6BCEF37BE.png

I’ve not ventured into micro brands but I must admit I’m sorely tempted here.

Thoughts?

Fallout Boy, Larry S and Gav1967 like this.
  2. Walrus Jul 7, 2021

I think they are very nice and the few people I know who have them speak very highly of them, I think there have been positive comments posted in this forum as well. I literally had one in my cart and was prepared to proceed and push buy but the same day some local vintage things popped up that distracted me. Still on my list though.

Fallout Boy and wagudc like this.
  3. PaulC77 Jul 7, 2021

That’s the trouble I have, vintage always seems better value but it would be nice to have a worry free modern watch with a vintage feel. These seem to fit the bill.

Larry S likes this.
  4. Awetaylor Jul 7, 2021

I Loved the look, so I ended up researching them. On close inspection you have Chinese seagull movements. And even they admit on their website that their movements do not have nice finishing.

I’d rather get a more common vintage but with lovely finishing like an Omega Genève

not to say I wasn’t spellbound by Baltics designs

5. wagudc Jul 7, 2021

Only the chronos have Seagull movements, the rest are Miyota.

6. JwRosenthal Jul 7, 2021

Syzygy likes this.
  7. Walrus Jul 7, 2021

Yes the ones I was looking at were miyota although tbh I didn’t know they were using seagulls at all, I only investigated the ones I liked

wagudc likes this.
  8. JwRosenthal Jul 7, 2021

I see no reason to look at Seagull’s as a negative at this point. There were issues early on but many brands use them now without issues. I had an EMG chrono with a Seagull (traded it as it was too big for me) and that thing was within 1/2 second 24/hrs- better than most of my watches. The current owner wears it regularly (friend of mine) and it’s still dead on 3 years later and perfectly reliable.

9. Walrus Jul 7, 2021

Well neither I, I’m actively seeking some seagulls and very interested in them. I would only say perhaps that puts Baltic price point in a different perspective. On the other hand according to the poster who mentioned it they clearly state it so the consumer is making an informed decision and if you like it and feel the price is fair I’m good with that. Personally I’d seek the ones with myiotas but that’s only because I’ve had good luck with them.

10. Danwales Jul 7, 2021

I like some of the stuff Baltic does. They have a particularly nice GMT model. With regards to micro brands in general. A lot of them make great daily drivers. I have a Smiths Everest that uses a miyota movement and its a watch I can strap on and not think twice about. Parts availability is unlikely to be an issue in my lifetime should they ever be needed and they are very reliable.

11. JwRosenthal Jul 7, 2021

I think Miyota makes a fine movement, some fairly higher grade. In terms of micro’s, I too always look at the sum of the parts versus the cost of the watch. Some of them are a bit optimistic in their pricing for what you get- some are a down right bargain.

Danwales likes this.
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 7, 2021

I own the blue dial Bi Compax (Seagul) and the Cream and Black Aquascaphe.(Myota) I have the blue dial Aquascaphe compressor(Myota) on order. All are/ will be on the excellent BOR bracelet. Buy with confidence. Baltic is a wonderful company to do business with and the watches are high value for the price point. The vintage vibe is strong. Post sale support is excellent. Now, regarding the white dial, not my cuppa tea but I applaud their continuous design advances.

wagudc likes this.
  13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 7, 2021

Actually the Seagull Venus movement in the BiCompax merits the sapphire case back. It is lovely.

Awetaylor and wagudc like this.
  14. Walrus Jul 7, 2021

Larry how long have you had the one with the seagull movements? Really curious on your thoughts and how they hold up and accuracy. Really hope to still get a baltic down the road as ordering something new direct from a company cuts down on much of the vintage tomfoolery going on but then you run into the honest decent sellers still around and it instills hope again I just dislike playing detective sometimes

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 7, 2021

My model is a very early one. I did have an issue a year or so in. ( I might have bumped a door jamb or three) I E Mailed Baltic, they immediately hooked me up with Grand Central Watch Repair, who sent me a pre paid label. Shipped it off and had it back in three weeks. I received frequent status updates. It’s been running like a champ ever since. It’s got great vintage energy without the bullshit. The Aquascaphe has been trouble free and used hard. Baltic has amazing customer care.

Scarecrow Boat and Walrus like this.
  16. wagudc Jul 7, 2021

This is so valuable. I am a customer of a different microbrand and their customer care has been less than stellar. Not terrible, just not good. Frankly it's been a PITA. I would seriously consider Baltic for a future purchase. Especially if they did their HMS three hander in 35 or 36mm.

Larry S and Twocats like this.
  17. Walrus Jul 7, 2021

I’m with you on that. I feel much more confident when people tell me the company stands behind their product. Seems like omega does that pretty well and good to hear Baltic does. I think seiko is good as well I’ve just yet to test that as I have not experienced any problems with and new seikos I’ve bought so another plus on Baltic’s side

Edited Jul 8, 2021
    Larry S, wagudc and Twocats like this.
  18. Awetaylor Jul 8, 2021

huh, I must have misread on another article. Because I definitely would not be interested in the chronograph but loved the look of the aquascape

Happy to admit I made a mistake though

Larry S and wagudc like this.
  19. LesXL Jul 8, 2021

Waiting for my Air League 40mm (small wrist here) this August with the Seagull movement.

It will be my first Seagull.

Baltic does have quite some nice watches. The Bi-compax is very "Longinesque" and attractive.

I'm generally attracted to white dials, though nice, this one doesn't do much for me

20. JwRosenthal Jul 8, 2021

I did the preorder too, the specs were too good to pass up for the price

LesXL likes this.