Forums Latest Members

[Back from the watchmaker!] Your opinion on this working 1954 Seamaster

1. Mike2222 Apr 13, 2020

Hi all, this is my first post here so I hope I am doing this correctly. I also hope everyone is in good health in this crazy time.
    I found this watch which belong either to my granddad or my grandgranddad. It is still working which is quite amazing! I would like to wear it everyday from now.
    1) First thing, can you help me date it? The closest I could get is 1954 but I am not entirely sure. If you have any historical fact or information about the movement, please let me know.
    2) Do you know how the original band looked like? And where to get a similar one nowadays?
    3) Now concerning maintenance and repairing, what would you do? Should I just wear it like that? Should the glass be polished and the movement be checked? Should I send it to an Omega shop or to an independent watch repair center?
    Thanks for your help, I am looking forward to your answers,
    Mike

_DSC7443.jpg
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 13, 2020

Looks nice and original. Can you post a pic of the caseback. It might be a mid 50s bumper movement fat lug but it looks to me more like a late 50s full rotor auto model. If you move if about do you get a definite thump from it, or nothing?

Mike2222, janice&fred and STANDY like this.
  3. ConElPueblo Apr 13, 2020

It has lug holes, so little chance of that :)

To me it looks like the earlier style Omega-logo, which would make it a ref. 2577 and <1954.

You can find the same dial/case combination at our old OF "friend" Vision Vintage Watches, albeit with incorrect, lumed hands:

[​IMG]

https://www.visionvintagewatches.com/product-page/1952-omega-seamaster-2577-11

Sidnos, Seaborg, tamura and 2 others like this.
  4. Mike2222 Apr 13, 2020

Thank you for your answers.

padders, here is a picture of the back. When I move it, it feels like something heavy moves inside, quite unusual for modern automatic watches I would say.

ConElPueblo, yes this 1952 seems to be a perfect match!

Thank you very much. What about my questions 2) and 3)?

_DSC7444.jpg
    OmegaP99, Seaborg and STANDY like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 13, 2020

Send it to a independent watchmaker with a Omega parts account for a service.
    Make sure you include a note advising
    1) no polishing,
    2) take some photos of the case back and movement ( age and model #s inside )
    3) a sympathetic vintage service and clean only

A genuine replacement crystal may be able to be obtained

OmegaP99, janice&fred, DaveK and 2 others like this.
  6. Mike2222 Apr 13, 2020

Thank you STANDY for the great info. This is probably what I am going to do. I will keep you updated when the work is done!

janice&fred and STANDY like this.
  7. ConElPueblo Apr 13, 2020

I should probably elaborate why the hands on the above example from VVW are wrong, hopefully it'll help new members:

First off, Omega and most other watch manufacturers did not combine lumed hands with non-lumed indices. I have yet to see any convincing examples of the lumed hands/non-lumed dials. The reverse combination (non-lumed hands, lumed indices) is obviously non-existant.

Secondly, the hands are too long. The minute and seconds hands pass the minute/seconds track and on this reference, this is incorrect. Look at the example in the OP to see how they should match the dial markings.

I concur with the advice given by @STANDY re. servicing advice.

Regarding strap choice, have a google at vintage Omega adverts, this will show a wealth of suitable strap choices, but the bottom line is that it should be fairly thin (none to little padding) and have full stitching at the sides. Find something that matches this from a vendor, avoid Omega straps as they are fairly modern in their design - and massively expensive.

You could also find a vintage "beads of rice" bracelet, which would suit the watch immensely. It should be a five-row variety and have end links numbered "11" as they will fit your watch. Like this one:

[​IMG]

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-bor-1502-ss-bracelet-with-11-end-links.109962/

8. Mike2222 Apr 13, 2020

Thank you very much ConElPueblo for the great info!

STANDY likes this.
  9. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 13, 2020

Good spot on the lug holes Troels, I missed that. Bound to be a 2577 then.

@Mike2222
    These do look great on a BOR bracelet but if originality matters greatly be aware that wasn’t AFAIK a combo seen when new, this bracelet design came a little later. I am not sure what bracelet if any the early bumpers came on, probably just a leather strap fitted by the dealer. I've never seen a period pic of a bumper on a bracelet. Here is my superficially similar but later 2846 fat lug on a 5 row BOR, I added the bracelet myself:

F249C10E-5932-47C3-B5CF-1409F2277C41.jpeg

Edited Apr 13, 2020
    Spruce, janice&fred, Sidnos and 4 others like this.
  10. Als 27 Apr 13, 2020

ConElPueblo
    well spotted for the lug holes you have very very keen eye sight :cool: :thumbsup: bravo
    Better than mine :(

Spruce, Seaborg and STANDY like this.
  11. wilderbeast Apr 13, 2020

Welcome, @Mike2222! You have a gorgeous watch there and the advice you’ve received here is some of the very best you’ll get. Once serviced, you can wear the watch without fear and it’s a wonderful heirloom! These early Seamasters are beautiful dress watches, but also dress down very well for smart casual.

If you post where you are in the world, members here may be able to point you in the direction of a trusted watchmaker who could help you out.

Enjoy your Seamaster!

DaveK, Sidnos, STANDY and 2 others like this.
  12. Mike2222 Apr 13, 2020

Thank you wilderbeast. I am in Geneva, Switzerland. Please let me know a trusted watchmaker in the area for a vintage service on this Seamaster if you know any!

STANDY likes this.
  13. ConElPueblo Apr 13, 2020

I am sorry, but there is really no tradition for watchmaking in that region :(

You will probably have to ship the watch elsewhere.

14. Als 27 Apr 13, 2020

ConElPueblo
    laughing my head off :):):) brilliant comment.
    good sense of humor :thumbsup:

Farmer and STANDY like this.
  15. Mike2222 Apr 13, 2020

Yes you are absolutely right :) I think I know myself a good place where I could check.

But right now everything is closed down and the only place to discuss these things is online!

And thanks to you I now have a much clearer background on what maintenance I should ask for (cf STANDY). Sometimes not knowing the subject leads to wrong decisions I want to avoid that.

Like I said before I will keep you updated with the progress, I hope I will have some pictures of the movement inside and the cleaned watch after service.

STANDY and ConElPueblo like this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 13, 2020

It’s a great example and well worth servicing properly and wearing it proudly.

@kov a well respected member close to you, should be able to point you to one of the best watchmakers locally for your needs.

Sidnos and kov like this.
  17. kov Trüffelschwein. Apr 13, 2020

@Mike2222 get in touch with Romain from https://www.atelier-h13.ch/ and tell him you’ve got a referral from me (Alexis) you’ll get the treatment your vintage Omega deserves ;)

18. Maskelyne Apr 13, 2020

Lovely watch! Just polish the crystal and get a nice strap. If it runs well, just use it. (I know there are different opinions, but as I have several watches I only service them when they starts to deviates to much, or don't working.) I have a similar 2577-1 (bumper cal 351) which has lumed hands and it was made in 1950. @ConElPueblo what do you say about the hands? They are lumed and the indexes are not.

Omega-Seamaster-cal-351,-ref-2577-1-bumper.jpg

Edited Apr 13, 2020
  19. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 13, 2020

What serial is on that? Early 2577s usually had the 351 movement or the chronometer rated 352.

20. Maskelyne Apr 13, 2020

I made a mistake when posting. The movement is 351 and serial is 12.105xxx. Thank´s for your comment.

padders likes this.