Forums Latest Members

Awkward question, what is the maximum discount?

1. Peter_from_NL Feb 2, 2020

Hi, I was wondering, what is the maximum discount on MSRP anybody had on a regular Aqua Terra? No limited edition, just standard assortiment. I do not come further than 20%. And I live in the Netherlands, FYI. Interesting to hear other experiences.
    Thanks!

2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 2, 2020

I have gotten greatest discounts buying grey market. However, this replaces factory warranty with shop warranty. This is great if the shop is worth a damn. If not, you get hosed.

Bought a Speedmaster from Ashford; they took VERY good care of me. Then Ashford got sold and the new management screwed me.

So you have a decision to make. Neither is bad, it just depends on your risk tolerance.

Tom

Sluggo and JwRosenthal like this.
  3. YY77 Feb 2, 2020

My brother just bought a AT in NL, listprice 5.2k and paid 4k. Came with stamped AD warranty card.

4. Evitzee Feb 2, 2020

Are we talking about buying at a bricks and mortar AD or Boutique? Or grey market? Two different animals. 15% to 20% is usually the max range at an AD, less at a boutique, but this is always variable depending on their sales targets, how robust the market is, etc. I would suspect you could get a pretty good deal at a Wuhan AD these days since commerce has essentially stopped. So it just depends.

Pilot85 and fat mike like this.
  5. mouton29 Feb 2, 2020

I am a newbie and somewhat confused by what I see on line. There are sellers on ebay (and elsewhere) that are obviously grey market, e.g., Watchmaxx. Clearly there is no Omega warranty on offer, you get their warranty, FWIW. So you have to decide whether the 25% or more discount is worth it. But there are other sellers, such as Chitownwatch, who seem to have a good reputation, and who are selling watches with the Omega warranty card. For the Dark Side of the Moon watch I am looking at, their photo shows the warranty card inside the sleeve, so I can't see if it's stamped. In response to a text, they said the watch has 5 years to run on the warranty. Another fellow is selling a pitch black model without a box but with the cards, from the picture they are unstamped by an AD -- still he says the watch is under Omega warranty. But it was my understanding that if the card isn't stamped by an AD, Omega won't honor it, so essentially this is all grey market. And if sellers are not upfront about the status of the warranty, that makes me less inclined to trust them on the fundamental question of whether the watch is authentic.

6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 2, 2020

I don't blame you one bit.

There are people who have regrets after they buy an expensive watch, and there are also people who have a hardship and they have to sell whatever they can sell to, for example, pay medical bills.

So that is how you see a watch at a discount with a warranty card.

Tom

7. 8100_RPM Feb 2, 2020

I purchased my AquaTerra from a well known AD back in 2017 and, without being specific, received a discount between 20% and 30%.

8. osc Feb 2, 2020

I've been on the hunt for my Omega and here is what my research / experiences have turned up for brand new.
    - I've been offered 12% - 17% from Canadian ADs. When I tried for 20%, the sales people said no flat out.
    - Third party online stores who source from ADs (e.g., Chronext) offer a better discount with official manufacturer warranty, sourced globally. Keep in mind any additional duties for the watch.
    - Third party grey market dealers offer a better deal, on average, than the above two but with their own warranty (not manufacturer)
    - Lastly, there are a number of reputable sellers here (DavidSW, Chitown, TWL, Crown&Caliber, etc.) and in other forums that can help you with new or pre-owned versions. It's great especially if you are in the US. Chrono24 is another marketplace type option but, as usual, do your homework.

9. mjb Feb 3, 2020

I'll add that I have purchased from gray market resellers, and in the latter case (Millenary Watches) the Omega international warranty remained valid and I had no issues with a warranty repair in the USA. So, natch, YMMV and different sellers have different sources. My point is that you can buy gray or even grey and still have the manufacturer warranty.

My local AD (not OB) refuses to discount more than 10% and if it's on a watch that they deem "in demand" then it's zero. Hence me going gray for my DSOTM. I prefer to buy local when I can, but they made it too difficult this last time.

BlackTalon likes this.
  10. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 3, 2020

Several of the resellers have no issue obtaining the Omega warranty. They buy the watches BNIB from ADs, and then resell.

11. Evose Feb 3, 2020

Is this completely brand reliant? I don’t imagine Rolex having a discount, every AD I have been to have literarily 0 on display, they sell out before inventory reaches the showroom.

I have been offered discounts on Omega and Tudor. Just curious how people negotiate on popular watches that sell themselves.

Edited Feb 3, 2020
    verbow and LeonDeBayonne like this.
  12. Donn Chambers Feb 3, 2020

I got 30% off on a SMPc and a quartz Aqua Terra for my wife a couple of years ago, but:

1. It was because I was buying 2 watches (I was only offered 20% off until my wife expressed interest in the AT)
    2. It was a new AD, and he was trying to sell as many Omega’s as possible by the end of the year to be the top seller in the region in order to get more stock and better limited editions in the future.
    3. He had too many blue dial SMPcs in stock and wanted to move some. He said the black dials sold more quickly, and he wouldn’t discount them.

I asked about the discount on Speedmasters and he laughed — said he could sell them as quickly as he got them, so no more than 5%. This was from the owner himself, so not a salesperson, so I know it’s legitimate for this particular AD.

Short version — AD’s will give the discount they want to make sales and move inventory. It doesn’t hurt to ask for a high discount, but don’t be shocked if it isn’t given.

Peter_from_NL likes this.
  13. Donn Chambers Feb 3, 2020

The warranty card must be stamped by an AD to be valid. So whoever told you that was lying to get the sale, or didn’t understand. Some gray market dealers offer a “warranty” but it is not from Omega but from some third-party watchmaker, who may or may not do a good job and have an Omega parts account. Always read the fine print!

14. gbesq Feb 3, 2020

In my experience, 10-12% from an OB, 15-20% from an AD, and 25-40% from a grey market dealer. Depends on the demand for the watch, of course.

15. Texans93 Feb 3, 2020

I purchased my Speedmaster in July of '19, from a "grey" dealer. It came brand new and full set with warranty card, I used the warranty in December without any problem. MSRP at the time was $5350 and I paid $3950 (shipping included). Know your seller, ask lots of questions, and read their reviews.

16. Peter_from_NL Feb 3, 2020

I see a lot of warranty cards on Chrono24 and if I then check the address of the original seller it does not look like an AD. For instance I just checked out an original card with details of a Rolex dealer om Virgin Islands. Are you saying that the warranty card the would be invalid? It is the official card with all the numbers plus the pictograms card.

17. Peter_from_NL Feb 3, 2020

edit: to be clear, I do not care where it is coming from as long as there is a valid Omega warranty. I also recently bought a Speedy from an internet-only type business but they just had the card signed and all from a local (befriended?) AD. All fine for me.

Texans93 likes this.
  18. gerrya Feb 3, 2020

I bought the DSOTM from Chitownwatch, full Omega warranty, stamped card from dealer, watch still in coffin like the dealer gets it. Makes it really hard to justify buying from AD....

Texans93 likes this.
  19. ConElPueblo Feb 3, 2020

...What's keeping you from being specific?

Farmer, snunez and Nathan1967 like this.
  20. 8100_RPM Feb 3, 2020

The discount was 26.4%.

TDBK likes this.