Forums Latest Members
  1. randyshrimp Sep 15, 2016

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum. Sorry to bother you with this but I really need help with this Vintage Omega. I've found this Constellation Pie Pan for sale for just USD650. I would like to know if it's an Original Constellation, it's reference, calibre and if it's a good buy. Thanks!!

I feel that it's in excellent condition and tried to check that it's genuine by reading up on the forums and comparing it to images from Google. However, I was unable to find any similar image from Google. The "T Swiss Made T" printing at the bottom of the dial looks suspicious to me.

I've asked the seller for more pictures but he said that he does not have the required tools to open the case to show the movement. He was also unsure about the movement, calibre or year as he said it was handed down to him from his father. He claimed that it is 100% genuine, did not have a redial and was serviced two years back. What do you guys think about this?

I'd be grateful for your opinions :)
    Screenshot_2016-09-15-21-14-07-690_com.miui.gallery.png Screenshot_2016-09-15-21-14-32-510_com.miui.gallery.png Screenshot_2016-09-15-21-14-56-320_com.miui.gallery.png

Edited Sep 15, 2016
  2. Sanmilc Sep 15, 2016

3. Edward53 Sep 15, 2016

You are right to be suspicious of the T at the foot of the dial as it stands for Tritium which is used for dial lume, and this dial is a non-lume variant. Also I don't like the N at the end of "Constellation". I think it's a redial.

randyshrimp likes this.
  4. ConElPueblo Sep 15, 2016

At the very least it's a redial. The Constellation script is too close to the star and the script looks a bit off.

Not sure about the case...

randyshrimp and JohnSteed like this.
  5. JohnSteed Sep 15, 2016

Welcome to OF @randyshrimp. - This is, frankly, the best vintage Omega discussion board around cuz of the guys here who take the time to contribute.

Firstly, check out the blog @Sanmilc sent to you. It's chock full of details so you'll need to plunge in to discover some do's and don'ts.

Secondly, you need a few more photos to complete your review - inside of the case back and the movement (a couple shots so serial and caliber are clear, amongst other inspections).

Thirdly, some Connie cases have known to be faked, so tread carefully. This may be one of them but when you get pics of inside the case back others can chime in if this is one of the oft faked case reference. IIRC, the 'dog legged' case (this is one) could be the what scammers trick out. We don't know yet for certain, I think, without seeing the reference number inside the caseback.

Then, just from the dial photo above, seems pretty clear IMHO this is a redial, meaning someone has worked on it and it did NOT Leave the Omega factory looking like that. ..... (1) The minute markers are uneven and look really bad to the naked eye, (2) the Star is way too big and as others may have already noted, (3) I think this may be one example where there should be no T (for tritium plots around/on the dial)****For me, this one is already a NO for these two FIRST reasons****

Further time wasters...errr...research:--- Check out https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-constellations-show-and-tell.19186/ to see many examples to train your eye what to 'catch'. Along with Desmond's blog already given to you, you should be well on your way......

Good luck!!!!!

randyshrimp and khmt2 like this.
  6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 15, 2016

It is not a redial because redial means the dial was refinished, repainted or redone when the original dial went bad.
    This one is different, it is an original fake from China and nothing on that dial was from Omega. The case may be faked, too.

JohnSteed, NT931, ahartfie and 3 others like this.
  7. Edward53 Sep 15, 2016

After downloading and blowing up the picture I can see that the minute markers are uneven and the font is way off. If it's an outright fake it is quite alarmingly well done as the onyx or whatever they are inserts appear to be actually inlaid into the hour markers.

randyshrimp likes this.
  8. randyshrimp Sep 15, 2016

Thanks all! I'll read up those useful links. Really appreciate your help. I thought it looked quite like a factory original but there's actually so many things that I missed haha. Thanks for the tips!!

Have a nice day :)

9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 15, 2016

The case doesn't look quite right
    Misshapen top to the observatory and soft 'window'
    Facets don't look the right proportion

It's a bit of a worry if it is a faked case as they are nearly getting things right
    The lugs are the right way up whereas due to crappy facets they appear inverted in end profile on the earlier copies
    And there is the facet below the bezel missing on earlier copies
    Here are a couple of pics of a genuine 168.005 for comparison
    (The case looks soft in these pics but I promise you it is a really sharp edged example!)

Hope this helps
    image.png image.png

image.png
    Edited Sep 15, 2016
  10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 15, 2016

Apologies for the repeat 3rd pic

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 15, 2016

gone

Peemacgee likes this.
  12. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 15, 2016

Some close ups on a faked dial and case
    Nhi1.JPG Nhi.JPG Moy1.JPG

13. JohnSteed Sep 17, 2016

14. randyshrimp Sep 17, 2016

Noted with thanks. I'll read up more about what you guys have sent. Thanks a lot for all your help! Good day!