[Authenticity Help] Gold Capped Constellation 168.005

Hello, like to seek some experts opinion about this piece I'm interested in purchasing

Screenshot_20231227-155301.png Screenshot_20231227-155333.png Screenshot_20231227-155347.png Screenshot_20231227-155416.png Screenshot_20231227-155429.png Screenshot_20231227-155502.png Screenshot_20231227-155536.png

Some extra info
- Seller got this from mexican collector 3 years ago
- Serviced by their own watch maker
- Recently serviced during Oct 2023

Some extra pictures seller provided, since there is no papers or box for the verification

Screenshot_20231227-155609.png Screenshot_20231227-155558.png

Seller is open to meet at a shop to deal, so that's an assurance

I'm new to vintage watches and want to make sure it's authentic, a few worries I have is

1) case diameter is listed as 35mm, while other pie pan is 34mm
2) dial looks super clean, has it been redialed and is there any indicators?
3) how much extra would a gold capped cost compared to stainless steel? E.g. SS is roughly $2k+ while this is $3k+, is this justified?

Thank you in advance for all your inputs!

Looks like a nice watch to me. I like the dial, looks really attractive.
The case seems a bit polished but still in good shape.
Do you have proof of the service? Maybe ask for a receipt.
Cheers Brian

Welcome to the forum.

The dial looks like a nice and well preserved example. The pictures are a little blurry, so hopefully don’t hide small defects.

The case has seen some polishing. You can see that the lugs lack some definition, although some look better than others. Blurry pictures here don’t help too much, maybe you can get a sharp side shot from the seller to have a better idea.

For prices you can have a look at eBay sold listings, and I am sure other members will chip in as well.

Looks like a nice watch to me. I like the dial, looks really attractive.
The case seems a bit polished but still in good shape.
Do you have proof of the service? Maybe ask for a receipt.
Cheers Brian

Yup I asked for it, he mentioned cause the collector's personal watch maker serviced it before passing it, so there isn't any receipt. I might just meet him at the shop to authenticate to be safe. Hopefully if others have any inputs or spot any irregularities, it can help me make a better decision!

For my taste 3k+ for a slightly polished gold-capped Dogleg Connie is on the high side, but check sold items on ebay and in the private sales section to get an overview.

3) how much extra would a gold capped cost compared to stainless steel? E.g. SS is roughly $2k+ while this is $3k+, is this justified?

That’s a misconception, gold-capped is the least sought-after material and thus the cheapest.

Just looking at market value, this is neither a 3k+ nor a 2k+ watch. My guess is that an eBay auction for a case that’s not completely unattractive but rather soft would end at 1500-1800$ from a private seller. Little things play a role, too, I’d want to ask why that old gasket is in there if it was serviced, for example.

However, if it’s from a professional dealer and comes with a receipt and a warranty, you might prefer that to a private seller for peace of mind and availability (right now as opposed to starting an eBay hunt). It’s your personal decision wether you’re ok paying the premium.

From a private person, this sounds like it’s overpriced by 100% or so.

Like 6
Quoted member MtV
That’s a misconception, gold-capped is the least sought-after material and thus the cheapest.

Just looking at market value, this is neither a 3k+ nor a 2k+ watch. My guess is that an eBay auction for a case that’s not completely unattractive but rather soft would end at 1500-1800$ from a private seller. Little things play a role, too, I’d want to ask why that old gasket is in there if it was serviced, for example.

However, if it’s from a professional dealer and comes with a receipt and a warranty, you might prefer that to a private seller for peace of mind and availability (right now as opposed to starting an eBay hunt). It’s your personal decision wether you’re ok paying the premium.

From a private person, this sounds like it’s overpriced by 100% or so.

Take this advice! 3k dollar would for me have to be a solid gold version.

Like 4
It must be because of the ‘season of good will’ as everyone is being very polite.

So, Let me be a little more blunt.

$3k+ for this watch is a ludicrous ask!

Decent looking dial but would need better pics to be sure.
Soft gold capped case - a good enough daily wearer but not a collectors’ piece.
Service is a bonus but only if it can be verified.

Definitely double the price it should be IMHO - in fact I would say that it was expensive at half its current ask.

With a bit of patience (and advice from OF) you can find a better watch and save yourself some cash into the bargain.
Edited:

Like 5
Alright thanks for all your response! Btw for the price range, you are referring to USD? Cause mine is in SGD, so wondering if after conversion it would still be a good deal?

Alright thanks for all your response! Btw for the price range, you are referring to USD? Cause mine is in SGD, so wondering if after conversion it would still be a good deal?

Yes, when simply the $-symbol is used, I think most people assume it's USD. However, 3k S$ is still >2kUSD, so still way out of proportion. See @Peemacgee s reply above.

Like 2