Authenticating a Vintage Omega Seamaster Polaris (1455/448)

Hello! I’m new here but had a question regarding how I could authenticate or at least get an idea if a watch I recently purchased was real or not.

to make a long story short, I won a bid on catawiki for an omega Seamaster Polaris, and although it says that it was authenticated, I wanted to double check. I know almost nothing about watches, and was hoping someone could guide me to someone who does. I already called omega boutiques near me but they couldn’t help much. I thought I’d post the link to the auction here, and hopefully a kind and knowledgeable stranger can guide me to the right move. Thank you all!

https://www.catawiki.com/en/l/70782...rice-seamaster-polaris-day-date-men-1980-1989

Much better if you actually post photos rather than a link. I don't think that anyone in their right mind would try to produce a replica of an Omega Polaris, but this is just my opinion. Looking forward to seeing the images. Good luck.

Sure thing! Thank you for all of your help, I’ll post the listing pictures here.31FE7A2D-F598-43F9-848D-94C688476F5F.jpeg DD6AF646-03B5-4940-883B-84B9A44C6C1A.jpeg CEEBD461-D836-42B6-BF00-B3E7F6E8D59A.jpeg 8159D913-3898-48DB-8D0C-8CBEB31152A0.jpeg 96BF7DE0-FCF2-48DB-BDF2-0CA4A3A555DE.jpeg FAAB6CBA-33BF-41AD-BB86-EBF7A28305BA.jpeg 35B62BFC-B5BF-491F-8079-3B1AA5855417.jpeg 47BA4520-F471-4260-8887-3B1212F9BF58.jpeg E1073A03-EA85-45C5-810B-203260AEA7E6.jpeg E7E5B95E-DD9D-4266-BC81-5DA4F6AF1409.jpeg

Welcome to the forum, I have to apologize I know little about Omega and even less about this particular model- but I have to commend you about your courteous introduction.
The watch you are showing looks like from the 1980s or 1990s; which is a sort of « in between » period we don’t consider modern but don’t consider really vintage either, it’s not very much in style so many people might not be so familiar with it.
but if you are patient hopefully someone who knows the model can heip out.
Most people here are very willing to help when someone asks nicely.
Best regards

Welcome to the forum, I have to apologize I know little about Omega and even less about this particular model- but I have to commend you about your courteous introduction.
The watch you are showing looks like from the 1980s or 1990s; which is a sort of « in between » period we don’t consider modern but don’t consider really vintage either, it’s not very much in style so many people might not be so familiar with it.
but if you are patient hopefully someone who knows the model can heip out.
Most people here are very willing to help when someone asks nicely.
Best regards

Thank you for your kind words sir, I truly appreciate it! The watch won’t come for a few days, so I have until then and three days after to find out! I’ll take it to an in person watchsmith to check out, but hopefully someone here will have an idea! All the best!

I’m a lady ;)
And I’m glad to hear you have three days for some reason, but it really is best to inquire *before* you purchase— not after.

I’m a lady ;)
And I’m glad to hear you have three days for some reason, but it really is best to inquire *before* you purchase— not after.
Oh! My apologies, I only saw your profile pic and wasn’t sure!
Yes, that probably wouldve been better, but unfortunately, I only found this forum after I bought it. Oh well, at least I have three days! Thank you again ma’am!

Hello again all! I just got a picture of the caseback, and am not totally sure what I am looking at. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Weirdly, the back says "Case Made in Italy". I know it is supposed to be made in Switzerland, so now I am even more confused. Supposedly the watch was vetted, but it looks peculiar to me. Based on my research, some other seamasters from this era had this issue, but I don't know much more than that. Thank you all!image0 (1).jpeg

Thank you so much Impalla! I appreciate your help tremendously, and it definitely made me feel a lot better.

I still am curious though, where would I find the real serial number on this watch? At first I thought it was 1455/488, but now I'm not sure. Thanks again!!!

Thank you so much Impalla! I appreciate your help tremendously, and it definitely made me feel a lot better.

I still am curious though, where would I find the real serial number on this watch? At first I thought it was 1455/488, but now I'm not sure. Thanks again!!!
I am pretty sure the serial number is on the quartz movement inside the watch. Or it is engraved on the outside of the case (which I doubt).

Ahh i understand. So then, if i may ask, what are the two seven-digit numbers engraved right above "made in Italy"?

Again, thank you so much for all of your help, it has brought me incredible peace of mind and been extremely useful.

The seven digits are the case reference number.

The three leading digits tell you what kind of watch it is.

3 = Gents Bracelet Watch
9 = Electronic
6 = Water-resistant Calendar

The last four digits are sequential model variants.

There are two seven digit numbers because that case was used for two different watches. Yours has the reference number 3961100

The seven digits are the case reference number.

The three leading digits tell you what kind of watch it is.

3 = Gents Bracelet Watch
9 = Electronic
6 = Water-resistant Calendar

The last four digits are sequential model variants.
Ahh, understood. Thank you so much! That makes much more sense...

There are two seven digit numbers because that case was used for two different watches. Yours has the reference number 3961100
Ohh, so was this specific case on two different watches at different times? Or was it just a case used for two different watches? Sorry again for all of the questions, but it is all clearing up now! Thank you again!!!

Two different watches used the same case.
omega-vintage-seamaster-tr-396-1121-l.jpg
1100.png
Oh! That makes much more sense, and seeing as the bottom photo is identical to my watch, it appears as if the watch I purchased was legitimate after all. Regardless, I'll find the serial number and see if it corresponds to the right watch, but I can't do that until I have it in my hands. Thank you again all! I will return once my watch arrives! I cannot thank you all enough!!!