Auction review - unknown Speedmaster at Hansons

But as the term "service dial" is defined, I realize now that there is a technical difference between a dial specifically made as a replacement versus randomly replacing it with any dial that will fit.
Purely semantic argument but where is this defined as stated? A service dial is a replacement for a dial that is no longer available. T dials are no longer available so a luminova dial is a service dial for models that had T dials. Just because it is standard on one model doesn’t mean it isn’t a service dial for another model.

“definition of a service dial is a dial that is not the original one installed by manufacturer but was later replaced at an authorized service. This definition is necessary because the same dial variant, produced in the same year, etc., can be a service dial in one watch and original in another.” Look at Rolex for this one, they had so much overlap like this.

… and my wife would agree with yours, but it’s raining so I’ve got time for silly discussions on semantics. lol

Purely semantic argument but where is this defined as stated? A service dial is a replacement for a dial that is no longer available. T dials are no longer available so a luminova dial is a service dial for models that had T dials. Just because it is standard on one model doesn’t mean it isn’t a service dial for another model.

“definition of a service dial is a dial that is not the original one installed by manufacturer but was later replaced at an authorized service. This definition is necessary because the same dial variant, produced in the same year, etc., can be a service dial in one watch and original in another.” Look at Rolex for this one, they had so much overlap like this.

… and my wife would agree with yours, but it’s raining so I’ve got time for silly discussions on semantics. lol

As defined by Moonwatchonly book?

Maybe Omega? Someone with an Omega parts account might know.
Edited:

I also question if that is the original mid case. Case does. It appear to match caseback or original bezel.
Are you saying this are you're seeing the difference being with the highly polished back and less-polished mid case? I hadn't spotted that at all!

That's how I thought of it, that a dial replaced by Omega at service was a service dial. But as the term "service dial" is defined, I realize now that there is a technical difference between a dial specifically made as a replacement versus randomly replacing it with any dial that will fit.

Interesting stuff to me, but my wife would be rolling her eyes if she knew about this discussion.
Yes, I certainly few a service dial as a specifically made service part that doesn't match the original part. Like a 145.0022 back, or the luminova dial. I don't view identical spare parts as service parts as, primarily, I would know the difference between the original and identical spare. But I appreciate this definition in nuanced, as it's quite easy to tell old pushers from new, even when they were identical when new. So, an identical new part would be considered a service part if it stuck out like a sore thumb (as we Brits would say) on a vintage watch.

I daren't even tell my wife about this conversation!

I would still be very interested to know, if that was a 321. Can someone identify the parts in the bag?

I would still be very interested to know, if that was a 321. Can someone identify the parts in the bag?

Those are 321 dials so if you were willing to take a risk you would have good odds on it being a 321 cal.

Those are 321 dials so if you were willing to take a risk you would have good odds on it being a 321 cal.
I followed the thread so far and agree that all points to it. Just curious about the parts to confirm.

RE service dials.

In the 321 world, you talk about a dial from a 145.012 as a REPLACEMENT dial on a 105.002. As such these dials have value outside of being the incorrect dial and can be mated back to another watch. The term service dial is generally used for discussing the post 1969 321 oddballs with weird combinations of other dials that defy classification. Assymetirc T's with no step. No Step AML's, modern fonts with AML and short indicies etc. These where made in small batchs as the tritium dictated the shelf life as a replacement.

So for the 861 there was only replacement dials which would have been what ever the current production dial would have been, the same as the current production.

Why it matters the service dials are weird anomalies with little value at this time, where a watch with a replacement dial has value...

https://speedmaster101.com/blog/calibre-321-service-dials/