Forums Latest Members
  1. TDBK Apr 3, 2020

I'm considering buying a Migauss Z-Blue if I find the right price. I'm not treating this as a collector watch, it's a wearer, so I'm looking at cheap watch-only deals on eBay and elsewhere (I'd take a box and papers, but only at the right price). What, if anything, should I look to avoid here? Or should I just buy anything without hideous scars if the price is right?

Here are photos of a couple of the cheapest examples on eBay for you to critique:

[One]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[Two]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you!

2. OMEGuy Apr 3, 2020

They all look a bit polished to me.

3. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Apr 3, 2020

Since these are best offers, I would make some offers and see if you can get a deal.
    Or source at a dealer at the $8300 price or less. Still kinda a make an offer with today’s economics,

BobsWatches and WatchBox have examples for sale also

Edited Apr 3, 2020
  4. killer67 Apr 3, 2020

cases look quite rounded. Grays are making deals on these

OMEGuy likes this.
  5. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Apr 3, 2020

There are a couple on watchrecon at $7.5k from people who have been seeing for a long time,

6. TDBK Apr 3, 2020

Can you point out what you're looking at? The Milgauss doesn't have sharp lines from the factory, here's a Rolex image. I can't really see if they're materially more rounded in the eBay photos.
    [​IMG]

Thanks, I'll consider it. I was wondering how much lower I could go; the eBay watches are asking $7K.

7. asrnj77 Apr 4, 2020

The polished sections are scratch magnets so if the one you’re buying is sans scratches, you’ll know it’s been polished. Then again I always feel like polishing isn’t the problem it’s over-polishing that’s the death knell. The second Rolex discontinues these they’ll jump to $10k so if you like it I’d buy while the price is reasonable.

nzshadow likes this.
  8. TDBK Apr 4, 2020

Agreed. Also means if I wear it, I'm going to add my own scratches and plan to have them polished away. Probably why Rolex designed the case without sharp lines in the first place, easier to hide some sins. If anyone has a sense for identifying overpolishing in mediocre eBay photos, please let me know.

Thanks!

9. TDBK Apr 8, 2020

IMG_20200408_135900.jpg

Sorry for the schmutz on the crystal and fingerprints on the bezel.

KeithS, apsm100 and OMEGuy like this.
  10. OMEGuy Apr 8, 2020

This particular Rolex is one of the few Rolex watches I like and it doesn't look polished.

Thank you for sharing. :)

TDBK likes this.
  11. Mossback Apr 9, 2020

This may be a good time to request a reasonable discount. If done respectfully the worst thing could be "NO" or a counter offer. I would never make an offer without intending to follow through.:)
    Good luck!

12. timoss Apr 9, 2020

I have the black dial milgauass (which I love) and find the light scratches from wear pop in photos but don’t really “read” nearly as strongly in the metal. Doesn’t bother me at all.

nkhandekar and TDBK like this.
  13. TDBK Apr 9, 2020

The photo is of the watch I bought, I got a good price (about $1K off of list) for a nearly-new watch, with AD-stamped card. So yeah, a good time.

14. Amg786s Apr 11, 2020

I had the z-blue for about a year. Great wearing quirky Rolex. If you don't like highly polished watches then avoid it. It'll pick up a lot of visible hairlines. I personally like a lot of polished surfaces but the right offer came along and I decided to flip it. Is it worth the money when it shares the same movement as its lesser priced brothers? that's what bugs a lot of people.

Sherbie likes this.
  15. Happy Apr 28, 2020

Another option to consider
    20200427_193242.jpg

Nobel Prize, nzshadow and Explorador like this.
  16. nzshadow Stowaway Apr 28, 2020

that is a KILLER DJ. what is the model number? I have never seen that style. Killer watch.

Happy likes this.
  17. asrnj77 Apr 28, 2020

I know people say this but I don’t get it. The “cheaper movement” is an improved version of the 3130 that’s in the Sub no-date and explorer. If you need a watch that can go 4000ft deep in the Ocean, Rolex has you covered. If you need a watch that has 1000 gauss magnetic resistance for working in a particle accelerator, Rolex has you covered. I’m not sure which movement would make people happy? It’s a non-date, non-chrono, superlative chronometer movement, wrapped in a faraday cage.

18. Happy Apr 29, 2020

Ref 126300. They stopped making it on the Oyster bracelet. Now only comes with the Jubilee bracelet.

Most of these models have the fluted bezel, which I found to blingy, I don't like the Jubilee either. So for me this was perfect.

Davidt likes this.
  19. nzshadow Stowaway Apr 29, 2020

Thank you. I agree 100% with the fluted bezel - always ruined the look for me.

20. cj3209 Apr 29, 2020

I also didn't like the fluted bezel so I have this one coming in soon. This model has pretty good magnetic resistance as well; better than most other Rolex models.

126300.jpg
    Nobel Prize, nzshadow and Happy like this.