Asking for your opinion, rare Omega Seamaster, cal. 2907 from 1959, capped gold with coffin markers

Hello,

I have a problem but might not been alone. If I am looking for vintage watches, sometimes I cannot resist.
I should stop looking around.

This is the third watch I would like present to you and ask for your opinion.

I just bought this Seamaster but still have a chance to give it back in 2 weeks time. I bought it from a dealer.

The watch is a Omega Seamaster, with a 16,9 mill. movement. So it should be from round about 1959 an I am pretty sure it is a KO 2907, gold‑cap on stainless steel. The dial has coffin markers. From all I read it is a rare beast.

I made some pictures.

2FA0655D-0573-49D4-9D96-22EDABF68A1B.jpeg 45ED7817-3A22-4491-A1BD-67F02C4063D2.jpeg AA5C37BD-C1B6-42C5-999D-F207DDC6A494.jpeg 0D6398BC-D645-4B46-94DC-7B1FAB1E7A08.jpeg 2AD6574C-D2C8-4A6E-AD6E-F52543BC39D2.jpeg

I appreciate your comments.

What do you think? Keep it or leave it?

Thank you for your feedback

Udo

Hi cuger.

I am no expert, but a few things pop out of your pictures.

1) I would expect all the hands from the small dials to look like the one on the bottom (chrono hours), which is a small alpha hand;

2) As a matter of fact, I believe at least the big hour and minute hands might also be incorrect, as I usually see alpha hands;

3) The case was severely polished;

4) Something is going on with the dial, as if someone had tampered with the Omega logo. The dial contains also some damage but some might consider it acceptable in that regard.

I understand the thrill of purchasing a piece, and how gorgeous these Seamaster chronos with 321 Caliber are but I personally would give it back... Just being honest!

Edit: corrected spelling
Edited:

I understand the trill of purchasing a piece, and how gorgeous these Seamaster chronos with 321 Caliber are but I personally would give it back... Just being honest!

All depends on the price no? If $600 you ain't giving it back.

All depends on the price no? If $600 you ain't giving it back.

For 600$ I might not give it back indeed... Given I knew there is 321 inside.

True, I did not consider price in my post. We didn't consider the movement either. @cuger if you would say how much you paid for it people here might give you also more info.

That is one of the most badly damaged gold cap cases I've seen. And the dial is also rough, in an unattractive way, IMO. The applied Omega logo and some markers have apparently been tampered with, since they are unevenly located and/or crooked. Some markers appear to have lume at the tips, but the hands have no lume. For me, it's a mess. Regardless of rarity, I can't imagine I would get much joy from that watch, personally. Sorry to be so negative, but you asked for opinions.
Edited:

Why do folks post watch pics after the fact? Isn't their a stickied thread about Learn How to Fish on the vintage section? OP, you're best off returning this piece right away...no offence meant.

For 600$ I might not give it back indeed... Given I knew there is 321 inside.

True, I did not consider price in my post. We didn't consider the movement either. @cuger if you would say how much you paid for it people here might give you also more info.
Thank you for your opinion. I bought it for roughly 2.600 EUR. The dial seemed to be o.k. for me beside the obvious stains. I am not experienced enough with the 2907 with regards to the case and the pictures weren‘t as good as the one I did. If you are looking at the watch on your arm, it is still looking nice. That makes it always difficult, at least for me.
That is one of the most badly damaged gold cap cases I've seen. And the dial is also rough, in an unattractive way, IMO. The applied Omega logo and some markers have apparently been tampered with, since they are unevenly located and/or crooked. Some markers appear to have lume at the tips, but the hands have no lume. For me, it's a mess. Regardless of rarity, I can't imagine I would get much joy from that watch, personally. Sorry to be so negative, but you asked for opinions.
Thank you for your opinion and openess. I asked and got an answer I was looking for. I do not see it negativ, it gives me transparency. You guys have so much knowledge. I still have some days but my tendency is now to give it back..

Strange dial indeed. This is what kind of hands it should have.

fgjhgfj.jpg ghfhhjg.jpg

Strange dial indeed. This is what kind of hands it should have.

fgjhgfj.jpg ghfhhjg.jpg

This case is very nice. Most of the cases I found in the web seemed to be very much polished as well. The arrow in the dial in your picture looks strange to me - the feathers are missing.

This case is very nice. Most of the cases I found in the web seemed to be very much polished as well. The arrow in the dial in your picture looks strange to me - the feathers are missing.
The Tachy arrow (without feathers) is fine...certainly for ref 2907

If you Google this reference you'll find that this model has a different Tachy arrow.

Actually yes, I have this ad framed 😀

Kuvatõmmis 2023-03-03 091923.png

The prices are amazing.

£81 for the 18k 2872 -wow!

( not to mention the £53 and ten shillings Speedmaster)

If you Google this reference you'll find that this model has a different Tachy arrow.
Interesting - I searched a lot in the last weeks, didn‘t recognized it. Advertisements are very rare and the few ones on sale, eg on Chrono do not show it either. I saw you participating in some threads before and the model seems to be one of your favorites. Is it a bad deal for 2.600 EUR?

The prices are amazing.

£81 for the 18k 2872 -wow!

( not to mention the £53 and ten shillings Speedmaster)

Yes, considering what Speedmaster 2998 costs now.

Interesting - I searched a lot in the last weeks, didn‘t recognized it. Advertisements are very rare and the few ones on sale, eg on Chrono do not show it either. I saw you participating in some threads before and the model seems to be one of your favorites. Is it a bad deal for 2.600 EUR?

2600 EUR for cal 321 Omega is good price anyway. The dial of your watch isn't great. But, I've seen these dials for sale on eBay for 1k.