Forums Latest Members
  1. SkunkPrince Sep 23, 2020

I note a lot of you new guys are asking where to find parts for your vintage watch.

You don't need to do that, your watchmaker has resources that you have zerro clue about. Mine has to tell me to sit back, he has it handled, and I've been wearing collectible Omegas for decades!

Only come begging for parts if your watchmaker tells you she can't find what is needed for your watch, Then we can help.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 23, 2020

Well, there goes 50% of the noob posts.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 24, 2020

Based on how people don't read stickies, my prediction is that this will have no effect...but one can hope I suppose.

On the subject of parts, I am in general agreement - as a watchmaker it's my job to find the parts. That is certainly true for movement parts, or new replacement parts. If someone wants and original, used, period correct "whatever" for their watch though, that's when I say be my guest and find it yourself, because it will likely be cheaper than paying me to find it for you...

GingkoLeaf, Eve, Hoailam and 7 others like this.
  4. Poli Thompson Sep 25, 2020

My watch repair shop can't get a clasp for my 1971 ladies Omega with a mesh bracelet. Can you give a few suggestions for where to look for parts? I am in the San Diego area. He will fix my watch if I can find the clasp. Thx

5. Poli Thompson Sep 25, 2020

I am new and haven't been able to find this in your forum. Search bar returns only this thread. Could you point me in the right direction? It is the reason I joined. Thanks

6. Vintagewtchzilla Sep 26, 2020

ok then explain the noobs where to find such a perfect watchmaker.
    also the hunt for the right part is also part of joy. sure one can be lazy and just tell the watchmaker find me this and that and charge me please a fortune for it but that's the zombi mode of watch/parts hunting.

" and I've been wearing collectible Omegas for decades! " ... well well

janice&fred likes this.
  7. SkunkPrince Sep 26, 2020

Did they call Omega? Otherwise, eBay.

8. SkunkPrince Sep 26, 2020

So much fail/wrong here.

1. You ask here for recommendations for a watchmaker.

2. Hunt all you want but there are plenty of watch material places you've never heard of that a decent watchmaker is aware of. Feel free to overpay for parts. My watchmaker has told me this repeatedly and I'm finally starting to believe him!

4. What kind of asshole are you that you assume your watchmaker is going to overcharge you for parts?! Maybe the issue isn't finding a perfect watchmaker but a better client.

5. Yes, I have been annoying watchmakers for decades. Some have been better, and some have not. I know two watchmakers who have done work for me that I would trust everything they say. The third, he doesn't do retail anymore but makes parts.

Not sure what your issues are, but they're not with me.

masteroftime likes this.
  9. yande Sep 26, 2020

No disrespect intended, for I do appreciate the info, more so, me thinks I have missed something, but OF tells me that SkunkPrince joined here in May 2020? An alter ego? Or has there been a deluge on new members in the past 4 months? The latter would be great, considering the general trend away from forums to the newer FB Groups..

10. Vintagewtchzilla Sep 26, 2020

1. i don't ask for anything. for new collectors a recommendation for a trusted watchmaker is always a valuable info.

2. that's good for you. but there are still great deals even on parts ... the magic key is building your own network which usually starts with becoming a member in a forum.

3. ???? you missed 3 !!! i hate inconsistency :whipped:

D. i am nice, cool, badass, f*** asshole, i heard. but who cares. I didn't assume that my watchmaker is overcharging me but with a little brain one can imagine that he will at least partly charge for the time he spend searching for your parts .... so if you spend that time it's fun and communication with others and finally the good feeling to find that rare 2915 hand for a fair price

5. YES

absolutely no problems but we started all as noobs and had to rely on infos we got from kind advanced collectors.

Thommas likes this.
  11. Vintagewtchzilla Sep 26, 2020

don't bother .....

" and I've been wearing collectible Omegas for decades! " ..... says everything one need to know.

gbesq likes this.
  12. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Sep 26, 2020

Heh I see what you did there ::rimshot::

Sherbie and Vintagewtchzilla like this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 26, 2020

SkunkPrince is VetPsychWars....a.k.a. Tom. He's been a member here since 2014, and has 2 active accounts.

If you search on that username, his last message was that he was gone for good, but then he came back under a new name.

14. SkunkPrince Sep 26, 2020

Yes, it was my hope that a new name wouldn’t trigger a few mean people.

15. PlainVanilla Sep 26, 2020

My watchmaker gets his parts from another watchmaker who is presumably sick or dead (no news for a few months). I had to source original parts (crystal and buckle) for my Seamaster DeVille myself. With the countless resources provided by Google, it's manageable.

16. Davidt Sep 26, 2020

Yet you're the one calling someone an asshole for no reason.

yande, airansun, krogerfoot and 5 others like this.
  17. JwRosenthal Sep 26, 2020

Back to the point the OP was making, yes- most watchmakers are incredibly resourceful, but some of the esoteric stuff can be a challenge and their time can be expensive if they charge for research time at all (how much is your time worth?).
    I broke the domed crystal on a 60's Tudor years ago, my watchmaker sourced the correct current crystal available from Tudor/Rolex for that reference, but it was a flat-topped acrylic which is the current part they have available. I wanted the domed crystal so that was up to me to source, which I did, and my watchmaker swapped the flat for the domed for free. We have seen replacement Omega parts that differ from the original (SLN hands rather than tritium, change in crystal profile, NLA bezels etc), even a watchmaker with a factory parts account can't be expected to spend their valuable time trying to find NLA parts like tritium hands that match the dial lume on a 60 year old watch.
    As long as you have a good relationship with your watchmaker, they will tell you what they are willing to hunt down and what they can't.

18. M'Bob Sep 26, 2020

I’m always so curious, during communication, where something goes.off the rails. And it was obviously right here. I fail to see where you were personally attacked - why the personal attack in response? Again, not piling on or attacking you, just curious.

19. Dan S Sep 26, 2020

Personally I don't really enjoy hunting for parts, and I'm delighted if my watchmaker has them in stock or can find them.

Vitezi likes this.
  20. Vitezi Sep 26, 2020

Me too. I'd rather be hunting for watches.

Dan S likes this.