Forums Latest Members
  1. SkunkPrince Jul 27, 2022

I have seen plenty of parts requests that I don't understand.

Do you not have a watchmaker? Is this watchmaker not dialed in to the material houses?

I get it. Not every watchmaker necessarily knows where to get Omega parts these days... but if you're asking for yourself, you are on a fool's errand.

I get it, I really do. My watchmaker is super dialed in. It is rare that he approaches me to look for parts. But sometimes?

Your first step should always be your watchmaker, and one who has an Omega parts account is perhaps a better choice, all else being equal.

There is no utility in your looking for parts, because I will bet you the donut of my choice, you will end up paying more.

If your watchmaker suggests you look to us, that's fine. Please do share that.

Thanks

2. unxsr Jul 27, 2022

I understand where you’re coming from but here’s a different perspective.

My watchmaker has an Omega account and I know for sure if I bring in my watch, he'll take care of it perfectly - no doubt. However, I like to learn about watchmaking. If there’s a small part I can source and fix it myself, I’ll only have more connection with my watch and also learn new things about that movement.

If it’s something I can’t do of course I’ll take it to my watchmaker, but at the end of the day I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to learn.

Wells, jahomes, Spruce and 2 others like this.
  3. wsfarrell Jul 27, 2022

Indeed. Been doing that for years and find it most satisfying.

Wells likes this.
  4. ConElPueblo Jul 28, 2022

What is the point of this thread?

Perhaps @SkunkPrince should accept that not all watchmakers operate in the same way and that not all customer-watchmaker relations are the same?

My watchmaker works on a hobby basis, have a smaller reach for vintage parts than I and would much rather have him spend what little time he has in his spare time at the bench than at his computer.

wagudc, marco, Om3ga321 and 17 others like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 28, 2022

Most of have obscure brands that haven’t been seen since the Quartz crisis.

Parts are usually sourced by someone here that has a 3/4 specimen that they have used as a parts donor.
    70k members here, (would like to think half still like me :D) So that’s quite a impressive networking group

wagudc likes this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 28, 2022

That!

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 28, 2022

Of course, for readily available parts which are in plentiful general supply (watchmakers/eBay etc) @SkunkPrince is right, let your expert watchmaker source the correct part.

unxsr and Larry S like this.
  8. JulianK Jul 28, 2022

I’m fairly close with my watchmaker and he does it as a hobby rather than a career. As a result he often doesn’t have a ton of time to go hunting for especially difficult parts.

I use it as an opportunity to learn and hunt for myself. He directs me to what he needs and I’ll go through all the different avenues to find it.

i think for more modern watches I agree with @SkunkPrince but I’ve had to go hunting deep on the internet to find 100+ year old balance staffs.

unxsr and BroMega like this.
  9. MtV Jul 28, 2022

My watchmaker doesn’t have internet access. I do.

Syrte, unxsr and iamvr like this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 28, 2022

Amen @SkunkPrince. UG, Longines, Omega, Rolex, Enicar, Mido, others, I have never had to source parts for my watchmaker.

11. Canuck Jul 28, 2022

In a world of diminishing supply of parts for vintage watches, the last thing watchmakers need is for newbies destroying such rare parts in an effort to “learn” about their watches! You want to learn, then start with scrap watches you can pick up for next to nothing. It doesn’t matter if nothing comes of your efforts. But if you are practicing on a watch that is important to you, best of luck!

wagudc, Larry S and sheepdoll like this.
  12. kaplan Jul 28, 2022

@SkunkPrince you're a very very good person, as I know from our interaction, however your outlook is far from being realistic

If Omega market reaches 20X of what it is today, only then it'll make sense

Even then, most people don't value replacement parts and look for originals, for example hands

I partially agree, if I had access to a practical watchmaker who's willing to do partial tasks that had an Omega account, I'd take all my watches to him for small operations, a crystal for every watch and new hands for challenging watches

13. sheepdoll Jul 28, 2022

Interesting how attitudes change over time. I was an early steampunk doing Victorian costuming at Science Fiction conventions in the 1980s and 1990s. I used to hate it when I would see others using old watch parts for costume accessories. Still I would give small bags of 'rusty floor sweepings.' to friends. (Seems some watchmakers saved everything.) I guess I caught this hoarder/collector bug.

The real trick is matching stuff. Most things do not fit together. In the 1990s there was not exchange of information. I have considered using some of my image processing experience to do a sort of AI parts sorter. Like used in industry. Bit of a fantasy. Would take a team of top engineers to do.

When I would go on the Horological trips, and meet some of the best watchmakers, the idea was that any watchmaker could duplicate any part. This might work on the older watches or one off examples from the 18th century.

Does seem strange nearly 30 years later that I was practicing on constellations and seamasters. I liked them because they were easy to work on (and one could get the parts.) I have over a dozen 'no name' chronographs I purchased in the late 1990s and early 2000s which I still consider practice watches. The other brand I liked because they were easy to work on was Heuer. Those were actually a bit harder to come by than the omegas. A lot of watches were scrapped for their cases when the US went off the gold standard. (Before the 1970s it was illegal for US citizens to own more than 30USD of bullion.) Gold was 30 dollars an ounce. My uncle was a dentist and we would play with scrap gold. The us dollar was backed in gold. ( there were also silver notes which were usually 5USD.) These protections were put in place after the great depression to prevent another one. Somehow business students which are not good at engineering do not understand non linear mathematics and why ponzi schemes do not work.

I always considered Rollex 'junk' as parts were hard to come by, and they were over engineered.

Sometime I will tell the story of my mentor, who ran a tool and die stamping business for the silicon valley. He said there were 20 manufactures of digital (LED) watches in the silicon valley in the 1970s, that he made parts for. These all collapsed in a bubble, leaving only Ti and Casio. This all had the effect of crashing 1/3 of the swiss economy. A story few have heard, because the world was more concerned with the Oil crisis.

Short version is as he would put it. "The calculator companies did not understand the luxury jewelry markets. That watches are simply about the appearance and not the engineering inside. " To further paraphrase. "This was something Timex understood."

I miss him a lot, and pretty much stopped playing with watches when he passed on after a horrible bout with alzhiemers.

but I digress ...

-julie

CdnWatchDoc and kaplan like this.