Forums Latest Members
  1. wagudc Sep 5, 2019

Wryfox, Pvt-Public and alam like this.
  2. ext1 Sep 5, 2019

I thought the author was a bit of a snob himself by arguing so far for non-swiss horology and putting down people who have a point (that albeit, put their points in a negative way...)

Also he puts a one liner argument about Chinese tourbillons. Umm.. I'm not an expert on that subject but I know Chinese tourbillons have been discussed on here sometimes and been frowned upon.. And there was that one dude who came a few months ago and started crapping on swiss brands for using ETA and saying Chinese tourbillons are the best. I can't find the thread...

(slightly unrelated note. He says he's 'hardly wealthy', but he's a student pilot, and from what I know from a friend of mine, that's an expensive commitment... is it not? Genuinely curious.)

3. connieseamaster Sep 5, 2019

Well that was a wasted 2 minutes. Nothing said in the article is original.

89-0 likes this.
  4. wagudc Sep 5, 2019

I agree. "Articles" like this can be a front for promoting a brand, but I enjoyed the discussion of what happens to off-the-shelf movements and the case finishing, etc. As @connieseamaster says there may be nothing original said, but it was new to me as a newbie.

ext1 likes this.
  5. ext1 Sep 5, 2019

I'm a newbie for sure too!! :D seriously I'm not expert enough to know why Chinese tourbillons are not good.

But it just sounded like he was being defensive (for some unknown reason) towards some stuff he's been reading on WUS or something. At least, article helped me understand Medium is a strange site for posting this sort of stuff.

6. Evitzee Sep 5, 2019

He's 19 years old, hardly experienced enough to make generalizatlions about the subject. I am one of those people who DON'T put much stock in what young people say or think, wisdom only comes with age. Kids don't have it.

JwRosenthal and connieseamaster like this.
  7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 5, 2019

Fun in this space can be had at all price points. There are snobs out there for sure. This article has some very clear biases which makes it a waste of time.

Edited Sep 5, 2019
  8. wagudc Sep 5, 2019

You post would be useful to those of us with less experience if you provided a link to a better source for this information. As it is your post just comes across as snarky.

I am not interested in starting an argument, just giving my perspective.

9. squarelug Sep 5, 2019

Thumbs down.

10. connieseamaster Sep 5, 2019

There's no information in the article to source, simply the author's opinion, which has been expressed more eloquently and with more logical reasoning on various platforms including Hodinkee, Fratello, and the back end of WUS. You're best off doing your own research and forming your own opinions rather than looking for someone to form them for you.

11. Bizcut1 Sep 5, 2019

Waste of time.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 6, 2019

Yep, skip to the end because it's all summarized by this:

"Wear what you want, wear what you love and anything else doesn’t matter."

13. Lenny Pepperidge Sep 6, 2019

Nothing informative in the article, and it seems to be written primarily as a means of promoting Chinese made watches while bad mouthing traditional Swiss manufacturers.

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 6, 2019

Written by a 19 year old with 2 watches :rolleyes:

Think we are age snobs then
    9BA24994-86D1-469A-803F-CEA9611EF4B6.gif