Forums Latest Members

Arrivals, What Did You Buy Recently?(Watches)

1. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 7, 2015

Twins? As long as you only wear one at the time she will never know you actually got two!
    :thumbsup::)

2. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 7, 2015

That Gallet is correct. And really freaking mint+

Dibs, yo?

Northernman likes this.
  3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 7, 2015

Meow. Paint "defect"? Or, some kooky low country kitchen scientist did some voodoo on that 1603.

I've not seen a 1603 go full tropical like that. Frankly, it looks like you went right past tropical and straight to milk chocolate!!! Sweet.

I had this happen to a UG compax and I'm told it wasn't supposed to happen. But, it did. Looks pretty bad a$$
    I need to take more accurate photos in the correct lighting but this UG is brown. Full brown.

Dibs on your 1603, yo (I'm certain I'm not first but it doesn't cost anything to ask).

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Edited Aug 7, 2015
    pitpro and Northernman like this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 7, 2015

Slightly different.

Weatherized steel is specifically designed so that exposed surfaces naturally "rust" to form a corrosion resistant boundary layer.

Parkerizing or phospatizing is a process where an item is immersed in a heated bath of chemicals that deposit a coating on the exposed surfaces.

In my younger days I spent many hours in the Air Force weapons workshops restoring worn weapons. One of the processes was to phosphate small arms components after stripping and glass blasting. The process was basically:

Strip the weapons.
    Degrease components in a Trichloroethylene bath.
    Remove surface coating to bare metal with glass blasting.
    Immerse components in oil bath to prevent rusting.
    Remove a batch of components from the oil bath and degrease in Trich bath.
    Immerse batch of components in heated phosphate bath.
    Wait till bubbling/fizzing ceases and remove to drying rack.

The resultant surface was a dull grey/black, although by changing the mixture you could vary the surface appearance from light grey to almost black.

We found out years later that Defence had been a bit lax in OH&S advice regarding Trichloroethylene, we almost bathed in the stuff and when we read the MSDS sheets years later we realised why so many of the older guys had so many health problems.

LouS, styggpyggeno1, pitpro and 2 others like this.
  5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 7, 2015

I knew someone here would know all about this (which is why I wrote that).

This ^^^^ is the reason why Australia is slowly taking over the world lolzzzzxxx Slow and steady but very steady. :) I know what you guys are up to.

I recently read in Crains Business that Australia is responsible for a disproportionate amount of new patents similar to the United States during the early 1960's when the space race was heating up and Scotland in the mid 1800's when the industrial revolution was getting going. You guys have lots of smart, hungry inventors but lack mature capital markets and capital formation.

Australia will let you buy citizenship if you basically agree to act as the financial backer for one of these many patents. I think the price tag is 7 million bucks lol. All I need to do is save another 6,999,999.99 and I'm there, full stop.

I need to learn how to say "Ggggg day, mate!" And I'm in like Flynn. St. Kilda was fun - that's where I'll set up shop.

Aussieland is becoming the de-facto nation of inventors. I, for one, welcome our new funny talking overlords.

I want to live in a country which loves herself; whose citizens are proud. Not a bunch of self loathing beta males like the USA or UK (no offense guys but we're called every name in the book for not embracing this no borders nonsense). I'm tired of being called names for wanting to have a country with borders and a unique culture.

Edited Aug 7, 2015
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 7, 2015

@citizenrich Hope you wrote this on your computer with a good old Australian invented Wi-Fi connection.;)

citizenrich likes this.
  7. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 7, 2015

That's right - chalk that one up to one of the funny talkers. :)

8. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 7, 2015

Thanks for the tip -- I'm always up for some new dark chocolate delerium!

9. flyingout Aug 7, 2015

Wait. NAUI instructor #13?

10. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 7, 2015

Don't believe that Rich. My Aussie friends are always telling me about their problems with immigrants.

citizenrich likes this.
  11. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 7, 2015

Will have to give them a try. Our current favorite artisan chocolate also comes from SF - a place called Poco Dolce on 3rd Street. Their bittersweet
    chocolate tiles, crusted with sea salt, and in various flavors, are amazing. Especially paired with big Cab or Barolo. Aztec Chili is my favorite.

NT931 likes this.
  12. BadAndy Aug 7, 2015

No no no, I got certified as a teenager at Sport Chalet, location #13 (Brea, CA). I actually haven't dove in 10 years or more, just thought I'd dig out the old card for the pic. The instructor number would be on the line above that one (under the watch). It was instructor 13631.

13. flyingout Aug 7, 2015

Ah. I see where I misinterpreted. I did spend a week in Palau with the founder of TDI. So that could have been instructor #1 of that organization. He joined the TDI Nitrox class I was taking on the boat to answer questions.

I know that Sport Chalet. Bought at least two wetsuits there.

14. BadAndy Aug 7, 2015

Palau looks amazing. I would love to go diving there.

15. 1685 Aug 7, 2015

Picked up this little diamond in the rough. Glycine Airman Special c1961. Needs some TLC but all original except the second hand and missing locking mechanism.
    image.jpg

LouS, Northernman, JohnSteed and 7 others like this.
  16. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 7, 2015

Another early Eterna bumper…

[​IMG]

Hijak, Northernman, Geo! and 8 others like this.
  17. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 8, 2015

Yes, I know you're right, Stewart. You usually are. I'm finding less and less easy not to be so damnn cynical. I hope I don't turn into a ranting and raving fool...

18. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 8, 2015

I try and grab these, when the price is right. As you know, they run like tops!

image.jpg
    Edited Aug 8, 2015
  19. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Aug 8, 2015

20. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 8, 2015

Cal. 1422UD ;)

citizenrich likes this.