Forums Latest Members

Arrivals, What Did You Buy Recently?(Watches)

1. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jun 10, 2015

@ulackfocus I really appreciate the response. So far my approach is to rely on the knowledge of experts and true enthusiasts. I tend to ask work contacts that I know are into wine or chat up a restaurant's sommelier. Typically I say"Tell me any one bottle I can get for under $50 that is for drinking now rather than storing, and what would you pair it with" The success rate for that is pretty high- only a few times have I not been really happy with those recs. But I don't know if I just have an immature palette because I've also been to plenty of events that have open bars with one red and one white, usually cheap, and I seem to be ok with those.

I've so far resisted the local wine clubs because my wife doesn't like wine (I know - she has bad taste, after all she married me!) and I drink maybe only a bottle a month at home. Most of my wine drinking is at work dinners while entertaining vendors or travelling on business. But it sounds like she'd enjoy the social aspect and the good food. So maybe I should reconsider. If nothing else, she'd be my driver!

2. ulackfocus Jun 10, 2015

Generally, they won't mislead you - but they're also in the business to sell what's profitable. It's VERY rare that we dine at a restaurant that isn't BYOB. Luckily, Philadelphia and several South Jersey towns have a wide selection of superb BYOB places to eat.

Hey, there are guys at the dinners who have their wives come to be their designated drivers. ;) Personally, I think that's treading on dangerous ground - the return favor could be enormous! :p

Andy K likes this.
  3. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jun 10, 2015

Yes, that worries me!

4. lwong Jun 10, 2015

Just to chime in although I'm no expert.

When I moved to Paris 2 years back I bought a couple of wine books and read them cover to cover, just to take advantage of the environs. I dabbled with the recommended methodology (decant, nose, sip, gurgle, etc.) and quickly realised that (a) I'm terrible at identifying notes and flavors, mainly because I didn't cook till I came here; and (b) I'm uncomfortable with most of the terminology because I find it pretentious.

So I kept the basics and dropped most of the rest, relying on my uncouth tastebuds and loads of drinking to get me by. No idea how many bottles I've consumed over the past couple years, but the number of corks has filled a large Ikea salad bowl to overflowing. And I've found that the combination of reading up and experiential training has made my wining and dining experiences so much better. Sure, I can't with any accuracy tell you what are the top five notes in the wine I'm drinking, but at least I'm no longer one of the fellas who looks at a winelist and sees Greek. These days I can read one and know (roughly) which regions or varietals suit my mood, or the mood of my significant other. We are both richer for it - and footing the wine bill feels much less of a burden than it used to, that's for sure!

Andy K likes this.
  5. TNTwatch Jun 10, 2015

Kelek Chronomatic, just picked up!

DSC_0534_r.JPG

x3no, Mothra, Northernman and 3 others like this.
  6. ulackfocus Jun 10, 2015

Dude, you ain't kidding! If some schmuck said "it has notes of pain grillé" instead of "I detect a hint of toast" in front of me I'd go totally Joizey on him.

What are you doing posting a watch photo in our wine discussion!!!!! :eek: ::rant:

....... oh, wait.......... Doh! ::facepalm2:: :oops:

JohnSteed and TNTwatch like this.
  7. TNTwatch Jun 10, 2015

Hehe, just thought your vintage wines must have radium or tritium and wondered what the patinas taste like...:D

JohnSteed likes this.
  8. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jun 11, 2015

Now I feel bad for derailing this thread with my n00b wine questions, so I'll actually add a new arrival. Here's the second blue-dialed cal. 1040 I've acquired in the past few weeks (third in the last year), ref. 176.004:

Quick shots from today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some closeups from the seller to show some detail:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With it's Yachting brother 176.0010, acquired a few weeks ago:

[​IMG]

Me celebrating with the only wine I'll be able to afford for the foreseeable future after these last two purchases:

[​IMG]

9. bill5959 Jun 11, 2015

I can never find the right buckle at 20 mm so I had these made. Black diamonds and rubies baby!

photobuckle.JPG

10. ulackfocus Jun 11, 2015

Are you The Punisher?

Hijak and lwong like this.
  11. ulackfocus Jun 11, 2015

One other thing @bill5959 - how do you get the strap through with those skulls partially blocking the corner?

12. Dre Jun 11, 2015

13 years older brother of my Uni-Compax

image.jpg

13. Ko1892 Jun 12, 2015

A package just arrived, much quicker than I anticipated. Not the kind of watch I normally collect but this one is so nice I can't resist :)

DSC_0297.JPG IMG_20150612_220012~2.jpg
    JohnSteed, Northernman, Hijak and 4 others like this.
  14. TNTwatch Jun 12, 2015

You sure like jumbos! What's the size of this one?

15. Ko1892 Jun 12, 2015

This one is 35 mm :)

DSC_0303.JPG
    JohnSteed, Northernman and TNTwatch like this.
  16. JohnSteed Jun 12, 2015

:p

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

17. JohnSteed Jun 12, 2015

Arrived today, thanks @Mick Tock

image.jpg

Should help with the hunt for this / these ( many thx, @LouS )

.... sample pages -
    image.jpg

image.jpg

18. billyblue Jun 12, 2015

Actually came in yesterday, but worn today for the first time:
    [​IMG]

Thorbob, JohnSteed, Lou P and 14 others like this.
  19. CdnWatchDoc Jun 12, 2015

Bought over the past couple of weeks, but arrived Wed:
    [​IMG]
    Christmas in June!!

20. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 13, 2015

Good looking watch! Very masculine