Forums Latest Members
  1. Paulyb Feb 12, 2017

Hi,

Sorry to post a new thread, I'm sure there's probably a better place elsewhere but I couldn't find it.

I'm looking to bid on a bulk lot of 4 Seamasters on ebay from a buyer I'll be able to pick up from locally.

He describes 2 as working and 2 as not. My concern is that he is vague in his description and states that he recently picked them up from a deceased estate auction (yet has no further info and is looking to on sell immediately).

He has 100% feedback and history of previous watch selling.

Below are the best pictures as the rest were too blurry to show any details.

Bidding is currently at AUD $145

omega 2.jpg omega 3.jpg omega 4.jpg omega 5.jpg omega.jpg
  2. AveConscientia Feb 12, 2017

No movement shots?

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 12, 2017

[​IMG]

4. Paulyb Feb 12, 2017

No, add that to my list of concerns!

5. redpcar Feb 12, 2017

Not fakes

6. Paulyb Feb 12, 2017

Thanks redpcar!

Now I just need to see how the bidding goes and whether I can restore the one with the blue dial as it's the only one I'd wear.

7. WatchmakerTheory Feb 12, 2017

All of these appear to be legitimate. I don't like that none have movement pics (could be corroded from old battery, etc) but perhaps the price reflects that.

Please note that the quartz models are not particularly desirable, and can be exceedingly difficult to impossible to repair. If the blue watch you're interested in is not currently running, don't assume that you'd be able to have it fixed.

Hope this helps!

TNTwatch likes this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 12, 2017

What do you think caused this?

OQBL.png

Old quartz watches are a minefield. Without any clear movement shots you're taking a gamble.

And even with a good clean movement, unless they are confirmed as working you could be investing in paperweights.

9. Paulyb Feb 12, 2017

What can I say, I'm a noob! I didn't even see that! Water damage or oxidisation from a damaged gasket?

I'm actually only after the one with the blue dial. The rest I would see what I could do with or just resell no reserve.

I'll message him to see if he can provide movement photos as suggested.

I guess I'm angling for this sale as he's local so I can at least see them before paying upon pick up.

Thanks for the advice so far.

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 12, 2017

I have to say that seller has some really weird backgrounds to his sales photo's, especially where he's taken the shots on a photo album, and some of his textile shots are classics.

11. Paulyb Feb 12, 2017

I live in Regional NSW, that linen is probably the height of fashion in his household!

He got back to me straight away advising he doesn't have the tools to open the case to show the movement.

I have a tool to open my Seiko (please don't judge!) that cost $15 from memory. How difficult is it to remove the case back for an Omega and is the tool expensive/difficult to source? Sorry for all of the questions...

If the bidding remains static I might take the risk, otherwise I think I'll follow the advice of wiser heads on here and give it a miss.

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 12, 2017

13. watchlovr Feb 13, 2017

Lets be honest, they are basically junk.

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 13, 2017

One man's junk is another's treasure.

We all have different levels of "want" and expectation.

15. WatchmakerTheory Feb 13, 2017

Sounds like a good idea. Anything is a good buy at the right price, but I think you'd be better off buying a working and tested watch if you're looking for something to wear!

16. Davidt Feb 13, 2017

If you only want one, why bother bidding on all four? Better to wait until a single lot comes up. With these four there's a decent chance it'll end up costing the same amount of money (or more!) plus lots of effort, compared to buying the watch you want on its own.

17. Paulyb Feb 13, 2017

Thank you JimInOz, my budget doesn't quite stretch to others on here!

It's more of a cheap hobby I'm looking to get into and I don't mind wearing a dinged up 40 year old watch, after all I currently wear a 15 year old Seiko!

18. Paulyb Feb 13, 2017

Again, it's more the fact that I can view them as I can pick them up locally.

Sorry for so many questions unrelated to the original post....

If I was looking at a single lot for a working condition but average cosmetically 70's Seamaster what would be your thoughts as far as price?

I know that could vary significantly depending on the model. Let's think low end as you've already seen what I'm considering!

I only came on here to ask one question and I feel I'm slowly going down the rabbit hole... I can see how you guys can quite easily fall into this!

19. Davidt Feb 13, 2017

If you had to ask on here whether they were genuine, does being able to view them in person really offer you that much of an advantage?

Average 70's Seamasters/Cosmics/Devilles can be found for $250+ with patience or around $350 easily.