Forums Latest Members
  1. Happy Aug 14, 2020

Was out shopping with the wife today and had to pop in to the Omega boutique. Wanted to see if they had a dsotm but only had the Appollo 8 in store.

Tried it on for size and wow what a beautiful watch!!
    Was surprised at how well the 44.5mm fitted.
    Was much smaller than I imagined.

Anyone own this watch and what's your thoughts?

Thanks

kelsey and Dedlock like this.
  2. stevec14 Aug 14, 2020

I owned it for some time. Really enjoyed it and as you say didn’t wear its stated size. For me it was just a little large however (it’s in my avatar) but a great watch no doubt.

Nice and slim with the manual movement

Dedlock and Happy like this.
  3. 《007》 Aug 14, 2020

I bought mine 2 days ago, it is a stunning watch. Love it . Such a watch, if it is even little bigger for your wrist, dont bother. It is a piece of Art as you will enjoy it!

kelsey and Happy like this.
  4. Happy Aug 14, 2020

What did you trade it in for if you don't mind me asking?

5. Happy Aug 14, 2020

Lucky man!!
    Size was perfect for me. It looked smaller than my 42mm PO I was wearing.
    Did you buy new and get much discount?

Thanks

6. 《007》 Aug 14, 2020

i took it new from OB. Normally the discount rate is very bad here, like 5% to 10%. but if you are a returning buyer ( buy another Omega from them ), u will get 5 to 10% more. in my case, i got 15%.

Happy likes this.
  7. stevec14 Aug 14, 2020

Not at all - I did a bit of collection trimming so let it go with a few watches and picked up a black bay 58.

The Apollo is a great watch, but my collection at the time featured a few reasonable value pieces and I decided to trim down a bit. The Apollo lost out by virtue of being less versatile than others

Happy likes this.
  8. Dor_42 Aug 14, 2020

Hands down my favorite speedy, hopefully I’ll be able to get one some day!

Dogmann, Happy and kelsey like this.
  9. Dedlock Aug 14, 2020

Its one of my favourite watches and for me its the Dark Side of the Moon that I have been looking for the Black Ceramic makes it feel quite light and it is also one of (if not) the slimmest speedmasters out there at 12mm thickness!, add on top of it the beautiful elaborate dial with all the bells and whistles of a classic speedmaster . Bonuses Innovative take on a skeleton dial, the race theme, the laser engraved moon surface, the lower price to the mainline Darksides and you've got a hell of a bargain.

Happy, bbp, Dogmann and 1 other person like this.
  10. kelsey Aug 14, 2020

The perfect 44.25 mm watch for us small wrist guys.
    Can’t say this about any other watch (most watches, even my favourites have atleast some small thing I don’t like) however for me the Apollo 8 is perfect, not a thing I’d change.
    I’d be my pick for a cult classic someday, if it’s not already.

11. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Aug 14, 2020

I have seen the Apollo 8 and it is really beautiful. I own the original DSOTM. It’s not small and it’s not thin, and do you know what else it’s not...ever leaving my possession. I love it! I am not a big guy...5’ 11” and 165lb (that’s 11 stone 11 pounds for the Brits), someone I know described me as “a skeleton”....and I find the watch perfect. If money (and wife) were no object, I would get the Apollo 8 (and a GSOTM) in a heartbeat.

Happy and kelsey like this.
  12. VjaceCZ Aug 15, 2020

I own one as well and I have to say I consider selling the original DSotM as I like A8 much much more. The only thing I don’t like that much is original strap. I’ve put mine on NATO ASAP.

Simply buy it if you like it. You won’t regret ;)

13. Happy Aug 15, 2020

Yeah I really surprised at how well it sat on the wrist, didn't feel like a 44mm at all. I'm still wanting to see and try the DSOTM & GSOTM but this is a real contender for my next watch...

Dedlock likes this.
  14. Happy Aug 15, 2020

Absolutely beautiful can't stop watching videos on it now!! When I was told it was £2k less than the normal DSOTM it suddenly had even more appeal to it.

Dedlock likes this.
  15. Dedlock Aug 15, 2020

Just to provide you with a complete picture some of the watch's potential drawbacks are

1) Some users found the dial to be too busy which caused them some difficulty in determining the time.

2)the speedmaster baton hands might take some time to get used too as it blends a little with the dial.

3) there is some confusion with the launch of the new red version "team alnighi".

I personally dont have any issues but it is a fair initial observation that might deter some from purchasing it.

lexieb007 likes this.
  16. JohnnyRocket Dec 28, 2020

Hey There...

I got mine about a 18 months ago. It truly is a very interesting time piece.
    A veteran of doing a good number of Pink Floyd Laser shows The DSOTM
    was a no brainer for me.
    The Moon face detail is amazing-but busy. The dial was a bit visually a workout
    At first glance. Perhaps the colour of the hands might have been brighter.
    It gets harder to read as a function of age. (That could be Me-Lol!)
    I put a Black Alligator Strap with a Titanium- ceramic Clasp on mine.
    The original strap was a bit on the small side.This gives it a bit of a richer
    look.

17. Evitzee Dec 28, 2020

As others have said the Apollo 8 is an easy watch to wear, size shouldn't be an issue. Very distinctive movement treatment, will eventually be a classic and sought after when it is finally discontinued. A relatively limited production item that Omega has never indicated how many they make or plan to make, kind of like a stealth Snoopy.

Dedlock likes this.
  18. lexieb007 Dec 28, 2020

I have been watching a few vids on this and what's selling me is the ceramic and toughness... yet it's only 50M. I (almost) pulled the trigger...but I just don't get that and can't get my head around it... for the life of me why not a higher water resistance? Anyone know why they didn't do this or am I just overthinking this as an issue?

Dedlock likes this.
  19. Evitzee Dec 28, 2020

Press on back makes higher water resistance harder to accomplish. Plus leather strap. Just don't see the 50m WR being that much of a factor in whether people buy this watch. It's just not the type of watch you are going to take in the water. I'd say you are overthinking it, but that is your decision.

Dedlock, lexieb007 and s2000_driver like this.
  20. lexieb007 Dec 28, 2020

Sure. I get it. How hard would it be though to have screw in crowns and pushers? Seiko and other brands do this sort of thing all the time on chronos to make them more water proof. The danger is always forgetting you've left the crown out and dropping your 10K watch in the pool. I think Omega really missed out here... this could have been the Gshock daily wearer for the die hard speedy fan boys. The guy who has several other vintage speedies for example... Anyway just my view