Forums Latest Members
  1. kip595 May 17, 2020

Some of you guys might already know I have a soft spot for vintage 'low-key', often American or America-based brands like Waltham, Elgin, and so on.

Just came across what seems to be an actual NOS Elgin recently, 17J auto. Looks like a late 60s model to me, but I don't have it in hand yet so was curious if anyone here might have any ideas about it? Sorry for the pic quality; all I have to go on at the moment; hoping the seller will take some clearer ones for me.
    Elgin 2.jpg Elgin 1.jpg

2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 17, 2020

Nice looking piece.

3. JwRosenthal May 18, 2020

Looks like a nice mid 60’s textured dialed Elgin with Swiss movement- probably something decent in the 17j range. Hands look correct but lighting doesn’t allow for us to see if it’s stainless or plated. Prices on these are all over the map but I wouldn’t pay more than $200 for a mint all stainless case, and it goes down from there.
    Also, case sizes varied on these from 33-35.5, so make sure to get the dimensions.

kip595 likes this.
  4. Canuck May 18, 2020

The term waterproof on the foil tag would seem to me to indicate possibly the late 1950s. That might place the watch somewhere between when Elgin discontinued watch manufacturing, and the discontinuation of the term water proof for use on watches. The absence of the Elgin Dura-Power logo on the dial (referring to the mainspring) might also be a clue. We need to see the mechanism, when you get the watch.

5. SportChief May 18, 2020

I think the box may offer some clues at to the age as well. Elgin was founded in 1864, and the box states "Over 100 years of fine watchmaking." To me, that would indicate that the watch dates from around 1964 to maybe 1968, which was the year Elgin shut down their factory in Illinois.

kip595, DaveK and JwRosenthal like this.
  6. kip595 May 19, 2020

Was able to get some more info today, no new pics yet. It is apparently fully stainless and 34mm; was picked up in a jewelry store's final sale after the owner passed and while it may have been on display, was apparently never worn or sold. I've narrowed the age to approximately 1965-1968 after they started using the big 'E' Elgin symbol but before they discontinued the 100 yr. anniversary packaging. I'm certain it will need at least a light cleaning and service, given that it has sat for about 50 years. Aesthetically it seems to be near perfect, if not perfect.

Anyone want to lend pricing advice?

SportChief likes this.
  7. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 19, 2020

Tough call. A never-worn price only lasts if you never wear it.

JwRosenthal and kip595 like this.
  8. kip595 May 19, 2020

@DaveK that's a good point; and I do wear all of my watches, even if only occasionally. This one if bought and brought back to proper working order would be an "occasion" watch, but I recognize even light wear such as that would alter the overall value. I guess I'm trying to gauge whether the initial cost plus the inevitable service will end up being financially reasonable. I like the old American watches, but try to keep them on the lower end of my collection cost-wise, with the occasional exception.

DaveK likes this.
  9. JwRosenthal May 19, 2020

No, they aren’t “worth” much to begin with even in NOS condition. The cost of a service would most likely be half if not more than the value of the watch. Service it and wear it- it’s a lovely piece.

DaveK, SportChief and kip595 like this.
  10. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 19, 2020

If I have the facts correct, it is the Lord Elgin (and Lady Elgin) line that were the premium movements, but I don’t know if they command much of a premium. Perhaps like Gruen Precision over regular ‘ol Gruens. I love the look of the watch, and would likely buy it to “save” it from an uncertain future - maybe it found you, instead of the other way around. It would make a stunning gift for a collector in your life (my birthday is in September, for example :whistling:). Maybe just see what the eBay sold listings say, and add a percentage for the box and never worn status? My one watch box is not even full, so I’m just typing out loud and probably having the same conversation that you are in your head

kip595 likes this.
  11. kip595 May 19, 2020

About the conversation in my head: "Nailed it!" :thumbsup:

DaveK likes this.