Forums Latest Members

Anyone know vintage IWC well? Cal. 88...?

1. kip595 Feb 26, 2022

Stumbled across the beauty below recently and am debating the merits of an EU purchase - where I'm located stateside shipping is slow at best for intn'l items, even just from Canada (as an example, contacts which come from Quebec average two months from the date I get 'shipped' notification).

iwc 7.jpg iwc 6.jpg iwc 5.jpg iwc 3.jpg iwc 2.jpg

That being said, are there any IWC experts who might be able to lend more info on this example, a cal. 88 as per seller? I know vintage Omega and am getting there with Rolex, but this would be my first non-modern IWC.

Thanks to all, as always!

Fallout Boy and TimeODanaos like this.
  2. Dan S Feb 26, 2022

What questions do you have? If you like it, and the price is right, I see no reason not to buy it.

3. Walrus Feb 26, 2022

Not the expert you seek but I picked up this complete 1966 dial hands and movement from a shop that scrapped the gold case for 340 bucks. I’m pretty sure this was the year or two after the caliber 88 which the IWC smart guys I know swear is a bulletproof and one of the “best” vintage movements. I have written down somewhere the movement in the 66 after it was serviced I saved all the info just can’t locate it at the moment. A member here helped me find the case then I went through two straps until I found the one that looked right. It runs very well, has a very nice power reserve (manual) and I like it a lot. I’m pretty sure I payed 5 bucks for the dial, movement and hands but it took time and money to bring it back to life. It still bothers me I missed the case by about 24hrs but I’m pleased I saved what I could and I think a vintage IWC is a great move if you are so inclined. Poor photo no natural light now but just to give u an idea image.jpg

Spruce and kip595 like this.
  4. kip595 Feb 26, 2022

Thanks bud; I'd appreciate anything about these actually. I know general specs and dimensions of these, with this one specifically at aprox 34mm by 40mm with a very slight curvature to the lugs. Dial and case appears near perfect to my eyes.

What I don't know is the general regard for 50s IWC, the serviceability - am I looking at Omega service bills or Patek, for instance? How hardy would these be - my expectation would be they can easily, when cared for, compete with the best offerings from Omega's Seamaster line or Rolex's Oyster pieces of the same era (although I understand many regard the Oyster as the most easily brought back to spec for WR) I've only begun researching the piece, but the Cal. 88 seem uncommon in comparison to others IWC used in the same era, but perhaps I'm incorrect there.

Yep, I'm a total IWC newb for anything older than a few years...but I'm learning! :)

Thanks, @Dan S :)

*Also, related - anyone have advice or knowledge on shipping from the Nordic area to the states? I'd REALLY like for this not to get stuck in customs or something for months if I go for it...

5. Dan S Feb 26, 2022

It's hard to rank IWC, Omega, Longines, Eterna, Rolex, etc. from the 50s ... they were all excellent. It's really a matter of personal taste, and I happen to like IWC a lot. IWC are not especially difficult to service or find parts for. Basically like those other brands. This particular watch doesn't have a screw back case, so it might not be as water resistant as a model with a screw back. It does have a water-resistant crown with the fish, but over time the seals degrade.

I can't read the movement serial number very well in your photo, it's on the plate in the narrow gap next to the balance cock. There will also be a case serial number in the case-back or between the lugs. The numbers won't match, but they should be reasonably close, within a couple of years of each other. You can use this tool: http://www.moeb.ch/dyIWC/ (in particular this one is convenient: http://moeb.on-rev.com/dyIWC/dyIWC.lc)

Importing to the US depends greatly on what type of shipping you use. There are various other threads on the forum discussing courier services vs postal service, what customs form to prepare in advance, etc. If you use the postal service, you generally won't have a problem with customs in my experience, but it can be slow. If you use a courier service, you may need to fill out a watch worksheet for US customs.

Edited Feb 26, 2022
  6. ConElPueblo Feb 27, 2022

I have shipped from Denmark to the US and Canada several times and have had a watch get stuck in customs once. Normally everything is swift and without hassles. I use Postnord, which is our national postal service (also in Sweden) and have nothing bad to say about it.

I have only owned one cal 88 IWC and have. K idea about parts availability. I will advise that if this one is 34mm across, it better be affordable as there are quite a few that are 1-2mm larger. I am not totally sold on the dial - can you confirm that there is snailing in the seconds subdial?

Edited Feb 27, 2022
    Dan S likes this.
  7. kip595 Feb 27, 2022

Thank you kindly for info on shipping. Your question about the dial though is one reason I’d hoped to get more eyes on the piece - I see no snailing but have seen some vintage pieces with no or little texture on the subdials; as to IWC during that era I confess ignorance.

8. ConElPueblo Feb 27, 2022

9. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 27, 2022

This is very sturdy caliber. Very well executed and so far, parts in Europe should not be a problem. We serviced quite a few over the years. To me the printing of international watch company looks too thick. They had very, very fine fonts then. So, try to find out more. Iwc is not very expensive in Japan. Have a look at seller Closer and his Iwc stock. It will come down to pricing. Good luck!

Edited Feb 27, 2022
    Dan S likes this.