Forums Latest Members

Anyone have experience with Watchmaker Scott McCoy

1. wagudc Mar 3, 2021

I am thinking of sending my Waltham A-11 to Scott McCoy in Austin for a routine service, and possibly a 1908 Hampden pocket watch. I am pretty confident he will do well with the A-11 based on feedback he gets from MWR, but happy to take any feedback here or via PM from my OF peeps. I know and trust y'all.

Thanks all!

2. river rat Mar 3, 2021

He is over at the MWR forum gave him some watch parts before he also has a web site were he sells watches. I would trust him if he had some thing I wanted and the price was fair.

3. wagudc Mar 3, 2021

I am looking to have him do a service on a WWII military watch. I just heard back from him. His prices are good, quick to respond to inquiries, and this is his specialty. I am planning to send him the A-11. He said he could have another watchmaker in his guild do the pocket watch, but I am not so sure about that.

4. 140dave Mar 3, 2021

Depends on who is in the guild of course. Chris Abell is down that way, if on the off chance that is who he mentions. I've used him for pocket watches and found the work quality excellent and the price fair. No affiliation, I havent used Chris for anything other than American pocket watches so cant speak to any other services offered. (abellwatchmakers.com)

5. wagudc Mar 3, 2021

Thanks for the tip!

6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 3, 2021

Never used 'Scott' but only ever heard good things about him.

7. cvalue13 Mar 3, 2021

Sounds like his focus is WW watches, but if he’s a viable candidate for vintage Omega in my same area code ... following thread

8. TexOmega Mar 3, 2021

Networking

9. Olhenry56 Apr 11, 2022

Reviving this thread a year later to see if y'all (we're in Texas after all) had a good experience with Scott McCoy? I couldn't find any info about him online. Chris Abell seems like a good option to ship to, but if there is anyone closer to Austin that you've gone to, I'd love any recommendations. The are a few local watch repair shops that I was considering bringing my Eterna to for repairs. I'm considering Martinez & Hood. Austin's Old Timer was very nice when I went by, but he scared me off with a $600 quote just for service and talk of polishing the case. Any leads for this first-time vintage owner are very much appreciated!

10. JNottoli Jun 2, 2022

Is he the guy with this Website: https://www.watchmakerscott.com ?

There are actually a bunch of A-11s of interest to me on there, but there is NO personal info of ANY KIND about him, except for an obscure residential street address in the legal section.

If so, is he legit?

Thanks,

- Joe

11. wagudc Jun 2, 2022

Yes, he is legit. I should have closed the loop on this thread. I used him to service my A-11 and it is running well!

P2271675.JPG

12. JNottoli Jun 2, 2022

Wagudc -

Thanks!

I mean NO info on there about him!

I believe he said he has about 4,000 watches and wants to "share" some (If I'll share some of my dollars, I'll bet). ;)

He seems to have a good selection of A-11s. Others have one, maybe two and they are beat.

I love yours - is that a sterling silver case - bass, silver plated? I've seem one other of these cases and these seem in better shape.

It seems that the three manufacturers went with plain or coin edged cases at different times.

Yep, I want a coin edged case now, in silver, if I can get it.

Thanks again,
    - JN

13. wagudc Jun 3, 2022

I am not sure of what the case metal is. It is definitely not silver, I think it is pot metal. You can see the rough texture on the back of the case. The condition is really, really good. I had an eBay search for A-11 that i checked every day, usually multiple times. This one came up BIN for $275usd, and I snapped it up real quick.

P2271670.JPG

14. Omegafanman Jun 5, 2022

Looks like he is the real McCoy ;0)

wagudc likes this.
  15. wagudc Jun 5, 2022

Yes, and when I asked if he could repair some of the stitching on the fabric strap he said "Dammit Jim I'm a watchmaker not a seamstress." ::rimshot::

TexOmega and Omegafanman like this.
  16. JNottoli Jun 5, 2022

I could be wrong.

My research has told me that most were chrome-plated on base metal (which I guess was brass & whatever else they could blend in - copper?).

Chrome is like a '57 Buick bumper (plated over steel). Mirrored.

Ammo was (and is) cased in brass - so pure brass would have been in short supply in WWII.

Yours (and one I saw on eBay recently) looks more "white" than "silver". So, I thought "Sterling silver".

I read that they used Sterling silver plating a little bit - I could be wrong on that.

Yours still kicks boo-tay.

To whit: it's very clean and the Waltham case back is very clearly embossed with the military info. I've seen the Waltham case back (and the others) all over the place in terms of look (type face, etc.) and strike depth/clarity. Waltham wasn't always well-struck. yours is very legible.

I have no idea of which of the three brands is the "best" to own. To me: Nice condition and the coin edge case is growing on me.

Tell me if I'm wrong on "the most collectible".

- JN

17. Waltesefalcon Jun 5, 2022

A very common material was nickel.

18. JNottoli Jun 5, 2022

That could well be.

They used whatever they could get, as I understand it.

I'm am electric bassist, so now I'm thinking about nickel fret material and the strings I like (nickel coated) - the finish on those.

Makes sense.

@wagudc seems to have one that may be little more "rare" in finish. Maybe a little more collectable? :D "Bully for you!"