Anyone Go Swimming With A Speedmaster?

Ah yes, my least favourite topic comes up again. So to provide even more evidence (that I'm sure will be ignored) Omega recently published some training materials on the Omega Extranet for their sales staff. I can't show it directly because it's internal documentation, but I will quote from it, It starts off with this:

HOW DEEP CAN YOUR OMEGA REALLY GO?

Water resistance remains one of the most complex questions in watchmaking. This is why we are taking you below the surface to reveal what our timepieces can truly withstand in the aquatic environment. This knowledge will ensure a shared understanding within our CS organization and give you an extra edge when managing customer cases related to moisture.

A little further down it clarifies what an Omega watch with even the most minimal water resistance can do:

The OMEGA standard:

OMEGA watches are water resistant to the depth defined by the model’s specifications, as long as the components assuring the sealing are intact. This means that a 30-meter water resistant OMEGA watch can be worn to swim (with energetic motion) up to 30 meters underwater for extended periods.

So in fact you can take a properly maintained watch, rated for just 30m, down to 30m, and swim with "energetic motion" and it will still be fine.

Cheers, Al

Absolutely agree Al, I swam with my Seamaster 30m Manhattan all the time in the early 80's, including in Surf. I noticed when I did my dive certification in 1985, one lady dived with her Datejust and one of the instructors had a Seamaster 30m in gold on leather strap. Personally I wouldn't do that but the deepest you go diving is around 15m, 25m is considered a deep dive in Australian recreational open water diving, or it was when I did my open water. I gave up diving in the late 80's.

I actually did a dive holiday to Heron Island with my wife and friends in 1986, and I dived with a Seamaster 120m diver watch as my dive watch. My watch was the most expensive watch I noticed other than another diver with a Submariner-Date.

The only equipment that failed was my mag light which I didn't realise wasn't waterproof. I thought that it was. I noticed a Japanese tourist had one of them new fangled Citizen Aqualands.

You cannot wade in the 5 foot deep swim up pool bar at your vacation resort without a minimum of 150 meters of water resistance. This is settled science, folks. 😀

thx for the data from the CS community from within Omega - that seems pretty straightforward... however i still choose not to take the moonwatch into the water. However i am more confident when walking in rain 😀

can someone please contact Omega ASAP and let them know about dynamic pressure that builds in all cavities and angles? No sane person should take their Luxury Omega watch top swim!
Hello! Why are you on this forum if you don’t know or don’t want to take in consideration a person like Al, who does repair and has excellent knowledge about watches…
In general watches were considered tools. Like any tool, if well maintained, they can do what they suppose to do, without any problem.
Regards,

can someone please contact Omega ASAP and let them know about dynamic pressure that builds in all cavities and angles? No sane person should take their Luxury Omega watch top swim!

oh dear…

please check your irony detectors, they are out of calibration.

oh dear…

please check your irony detectors, they are out of calibration.
Some people bring valuable information here on this forum and others have nothing better to do but are about irony and sarcasm…