Anyone Go Swimming With A Speedmaster?

oh no. 10bar water resistance is just an equivalent of pressure in speed or space
vs speedmaster but doesn't mean that the such pressure should be applied on the
watch under water. just my 2 cnts
Edited:

oh no. 10bar water resistance is just an equivalent of pressure in speed or space
vs speedmaster but doesn't mean that the such pressure should be applied on the
watch under water. just my 2 cnts

So what is this pressure testing for if not to determine water resistance? Pressure is pressure...

That has zero relevance to the question of swimming with a Speedmaster - the subject of this thread. The watch has a 50m water resistance rating, not a space resistance or air resistance rating...

Al, how DARE you argue with a Speedmaster Fan Boy! 😲 Your years of actual watchmaking and all those tests and training you took to become qualified by Omega don't certify you as more expert than a brainwashed Speedy lunatic! You risk being tied down next to a fire ant colony and covered in honey!

Besides, everyone knows the Speedmaster's space resistance rating is 238,900 miles. 🙄 🤦

Well Dennis, he doesn't have to take my word for it...from the Omega Extranet for the Speedmaster Pro case...

"WATER-RESISTANCE :5 bar"

No ratings for space resistance or air resistance...

everyone knows the Speedmaster's space resistance rating is 238,900 miles. 🙄 🤦

Um, don't you mean 384,472.282 km?

Ha ha
That has zero relevance to the question of swimming with a Speedmaster - the subject of this thread. The watch has a 50m water resistance rating, not a space resistance or air resistance rating...

I know the thread. just asking if NASA really did conduct a water resistance test on speed master? Or did omega really certified the speed master as 50m water resistance. Consider me speedy fan lunatic but not a fanboy. Haha

Ha ha

I know the thread. just asking if NASA really did conduct a water resistance test on speed master? Or did omega really certified the speed master as 50m water resistance. Consider me speedy fan lunatic but not a fanboy. Haha

As has been stated several times in this thread already...

As has been stated several times in this thread already...

Ok fine. So you are confirming that it is alright to go swimming with the speedmaster.

Ok fine. So you are confirming that it is alright to go swimming with the speedmaster.

::facepalm1::

Pardon my ignorance, if you can refresh my memory. What particular speedy reference or dial does this mark appear?

I thought I saw this mark commonly on Seiko divers only.

Pardon my ignorance, if you can refresh my memory. What particular speedy reference or dial does this mark appear?

Is not on the dial but noted on the 3570's technical spec sheet..

😀

Pardon my ignorance

I am not entirely sure many reading this will!

In a vain hope of contributing something more constructive, I think I am right in saying that at some point in the past 10 years or so the stated rating increased (or should that be sunk) from 30m to the current 50m. I guess this may have occurred when the 3570 was introduced in 1996 but I get the feeling it was more recent than that. I wonder if there were any actual design changes or whether the old gasket set design was good enough for this already and it was just a marketing change. I believe there is a recommended DIN standard for minimum watch waterproofness at 50m and maybe it was to comply with this? I realise there are still other models (such as the X-33) which don't comply (and other Speedmasters which are 100m rated) so perhaps this was not a factor. Unless he is truly sick of this thread already, and who would blame him, I would love to hear @Archer comment on this
Edited:

I wouldn't recommend it unless you're prepared to pick up the tab if it floods. Some people are and more power to them but there's a set of photos somewhere here of a 3750.50 I believe that @Archer had to salvage after getting flooded and it was not a pleasant sight. I mean technically you can take your Toyota Prius off-roading but it doesn't necessarily mean its a particularly good idea.

*edit: The pics are actually on page 3 of this thread too, and they're remarkably sad to look at, be prepared to cough up for that if you take the plunge.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you're prepared to pick up the tab if it floods. Some people are and more power to them but there's a set of photos somewhere here of a 3750.50 I believe that @Archer had to salvage after getting flooded and it was not a pleasant sight. I mean technically you can take your Toyota Prius off-roading but it doesn't necessarily mean its a particularly good idea.

*edit: The pics are actually on page 3 of this thread too, and they're remarkably sad to look at, be prepared to cough up for that if you take the plunge.

I see more flooded dive watches than I do Speedmasters. It's all about the maintenance...

I see more flooded dive watches than I do Speedmasters. It's all about the maintenance...
Couldn't that also be because fewer people swim with speedmasters and more do with seamasters?

Couldn't that also be because fewer people swim with speedmasters and more do with seamasters?

Yes, but the point I keep trying to make (in absolute futility it seems) is that the water resistance has to be maintained no matter what it's rated for. Doesn't matter if it's rated for 30m, 50m, 300, 600, or 4000...all watches will leak if not maintained, and the most important factor in them leaking is maintenance, not their initial rating (provided they have a rating suitable for swimming).

I officially give up...those who wish to ignore evidence of what a watch is rated for and choose to fear monger instead, have at it...you win.