Forums Latest Members

Anyone Ever Done The Amtrak California Zephyr?

1. vbrad26 Aug 17, 2022

Starting to look into this a little.
    Been having an itch to go out west again (its been years) and this seems like a really neat way to do it.
    My 35th birthday is this coming Feb. so I was thinking it may be a cool little trip to take just by myself and leave the wife and kids at home.
    Not sure how they will feel about it lol but hey...its MY birthday!

2. gbesq Aug 17, 2022

Haven't done the California Zephyr, but my daughter and I took the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Seattle in June of this year and had a great time. I understand that the Coast Starlight and the California Zephyr are considered to be Amtrak's two most scenic routes. I'll post a few photos momentarily.

vbrad26 likes this.
  3. gbesq Aug 17, 2022

Here are a few photos from our trip on the Coast Starlight.
    573EE67B-71D8-46B0-865C-DFFB40733260.jpeg 0DE8935F-59E2-4944-9EAF-253288ECB119.jpeg D7255838-14AA-49DE-B40F-A908C0C30E12.jpeg DC94487A-BB26-4789-88DB-2411FF266763.jpeg 44B167D7-68FB-4481-ABF2-C5B7D54E92D2.jpeg 77B2A936-8743-4915-A996-EC097B45CB63.jpeg AFAD3E05-9864-4D81-8B09-06BBC46C07D2.jpeg

Paedipod, vbrad26 and noelekal like this.
  4. vbrad26 Aug 17, 2022

Nice! How was the experience overall? I'd be looking at the private room as well like you all had.
    Not the big one with the bathroom in it but the smaller one. I just don't think I could do coach even though the price difference is HUGE!
    Right now, it is around $200 for coach and a little over $1000 for the room! Kinda crazy.
    There would also be flights involved for me. Tampa to Chicago. Then San Fransisco back to Tampa...

5. sheepdoll Aug 17, 2022

Wave when you go by my house. The starlight and zepher cross in out town.

I have done the starlite a few times when my cousin lived in San Ynez. Best time was when I came home after getting one of the Harry potter books in costume.

-j
    IMG_1904.png
    Yes that really is he Sonoma/Napa valleys on the other side of the river. Amtrak station clock tower might just be visible in the photograph

6. Observer I know nothing! Aug 17, 2022

I’ve done the Coast Starlight and Empire Builder using the Roomette sleeper berths. It’s a fantastic way to travel and the food is excellent, too. We were significantly delayed along the way on one trip and it didn’t matter because we spent an evening with a moonlight view of Mt Shasta that can’t be beat and had extra meals that came with the extra time aboard.

vbrad26 likes this.
  7. vbrad26 Aug 17, 2022

Yeah I feel like I wouldn't even be mad about delays hah.
    I understand that the food is included when you get a room. Is that "3 meals a day" included, or just like, dinner?

8. sheepdoll Aug 17, 2022

Go for the room. It is on my bucket lists.

I am indifferent to railroad stuf but my railnut freinds really like riding in the dome cars. I think those seats were first come first serve, but there is not much to see at night (Which the Santa Barbara to Martinez was.)

I did enjoy my rail trip across Swizerland in June, Nuechâtel to Zurich. Was able to go to the dining car fro breakfast. While we use swiss train hardware (alt least on the local eBart extention.) They sure do not run them the same way. No pictures as I was playing with APS film cameras and the Swill trains are really efficeient and move along at a good clip,

-j

vbrad26 likes this.
  9. SkunkPrince Aug 17, 2022

I've done California Zephyr and Southwest Chief. I've not gone the whole way because my ultimate destination was Durango CO.

As far as the trainsets go, they're pretty much the same. As far as scenery goes, I think the California Zephyr is nicer, because one piece of desert looks like another piece of desert. It was kind of sad blowing past these tiny towns with a Santa Fe depot long abandoned.

I used to ride coach, until I couldn't sleep in a coach seat, and then got a roomette. They are indeed expensive. At least the sleepers have showers and you get your meals included in the ticket price.

If you're going to do the rail experience, why not take the train from Tampa to DC, DC to Chicago, and then Chicago to SF? Yeah, it's big bucks, but if you're going to do it once, it might be worth it. Up to you, obviously. :) It would be worth calling an Amtrak agent to see if there are any promotions or discounts for such a trip.

Whatever you decide, you'll enjoy it. :)

vbrad26 likes this.
  10. gbesq Aug 17, 2022

The overall experience was great. There were a few minor glitches along the way, but nothing significant and Amtrak's employees were friendly, helpful and efficient. Three meals a day are included with your sleeping accomodations and you get one alcoholic drink with dinner if you wish. There is also a snack bar where you can purchase additional snacks and drinks if you feel the need. My daughter and I each had a roomette on the upper level and we booked them so that we were directly across the corridor from each other so we had the views covered on both sides of the train without having to go to the observation car. The roomette is very comfortable for one, but in my opinion it would be a bit cramped for two. Not having a bathroom in the roomette is no big deal as there is a restroom right down the corridor and there are additional restrooms and shower rooms in each car. The opposing seats in the roomette convert into a surprisingly comfortable bed at night and I slept well. Amtrak uses dynamic pricing so the further out you book from your travel date, the less expensive the accomodations will be. I would do the whole trip over again without hesitation - and taking a hot shower on board a train at 70 mph was certainly an interesting experience. :)

vbrad26 likes this.
  11. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 17, 2022

It sounds like a wonderful trip!

I’ve had a resurgence in train nostalgia. I recently picked up some c1930 gate destination signs. Keeping one with my hometown listed, but will likely sell the other two

3D0CEB1A-0908-44A1-912B-A49D32BAB2AD.jpeg

They would have gone in a storage and display case like this

821DDB1B-8950-45E6-8490-FFF83E6F1538.jpeg

vbrad26 and kkt like this.
  12. kkt Aug 18, 2022

Wow, when I'd seen those signs in movies etc., I'd always assumed they were put together with moveable letters on a felt board of some sort.

13. vbrad26 Aug 18, 2022

Oh man I would love to do a long trip. Not sure I can commit to that sort of time away though. But if I end up doing just Chicago to San Fran and I love it, maybe I could convince some of the family to come too!

Thanks great info, thank you!
    The pricing is strange though. I'm looking to book end of Feb 2023 and prices seem to not fluctuate that much. At least for the CZ.
    But I could hop on the SW Chef tomorrow in a room for $420! But the following Friday is $1228! So perhaps it is just a last min "trying to fill rooms" deal?
    And looking at the Chef when I want to go in Feb of next year is $809 right now.
    I'm going to hop on youtube and check out some videos of the routes.

14. gbesq Aug 18, 2022

And you thought that trying to figure out airline fares was mystifying . . . :eek:

sheepdoll, kkt and vbrad26 like this.
  15. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 18, 2022

I remember when banks had big signs showing exchange rates etc made up of those movable numbers and letters. They must of hated doing the proof read for that.

These railway signs were hand painted, and designed to be repainted as routes changed. They are numbered on the back, so the agent would just grab “route 16” or whatever, and have the correct info up in 30 seconds.

Anyway, back to Amtrack…

kkt likes this.
  16. TimeODanaos Aug 18, 2022

:thumbsup: Now that is the kind of inside track that makes OF great! Sounds like piece of heaven. :rolleyes:

DaveK and kkt like this.
  17. johnireland Aug 18, 2022

My wife took the Empire Builder (I think that was the one) from Minneapolis to Portland across the top of the country (Glacier National Park), then caught the California train south. She loved it. Took a roomette, never had a problem, enjoyed all the people she met with along the way. And was very happy with the dining experience. Part of the magic for her was the act of slowing down...having time to read while the world moves by outside, then putting the book down and enjoying the scenery...then going to the dining car for a lovely meal and having conversations with the different people on the train. It is sort of like what traveling by ship used to me. You are on a voyage...and you relax and enjoy it.

18. vbrad26 Aug 18, 2022

And that is exactly what I'm looking for. Just a few days to disconnect. Take it all in...

19. Observer I know nothing! Aug 18, 2022

Three meals. Also, like @johnireland mentions, the company of our fellow travelers was always pleasant.

vbrad26 likes this.
  20. vbrad26 Aug 18, 2022

I'm trying to get AWAY from people lol.
    I'm only half joking. I know I obviously will be in very close quarters with a bunch of people.
    But I would just appreciate not talking, or being talked to for the duration hah.
    I'm a bit of a loner. While I greatly enjoy the company of friends and family, I also love to be totally alone.
    There is something about sitting in one of these tiny private rooms and just watching the scenery go by that is very enticing to me.

Observer and DaveK like this.