Forums Latest Members

Anyone ever lose a sale by trying to be nice to the buyer?

1. kip595 May 14, 2020

So this actually references something that happened in one of my other big hobbies, classic cars and rods.

I had a set of parts, not rare but not hard to find online. Decided to post them locally for a couple days to see if I could avoid the issue of shipping. A few hours later had an call from a very excited guy, but he said up front he could only get "this" close to my asking price. I thought, hey, then they're off my hands and somebody can use them. So I said yeah, okay, if you want them that much I can live with that (it was less than a $100 difference). He thanks me, and then I just say, "Don't worry, I know you can't pick them up til Saturday but I won't sell it out from under you." Somehow this made him very angry to the point he was almost yelling at me for "not being able to honor a f&k*n' deal".

I hung up and won't be doing business with them, but I was curious: anyone here have a similar story? About watches or not? I've found the watch community largely polite, usually friendly, and at worst, reserved.

Curious regards to all! :)

2. apsm100 applysome! May 14, 2020

Sounds like the guy is deranged. Wouldn't want to have dealt with someone like that. I'd say you were lucky he showed you his 'psycho' hand early on. :thumbsup:

Worst I have had was a guy offering half my ask on a watch and getting very angry about how the watch is exactly what he wants but I'm being 'greedy'.

3. kip595 May 14, 2020

::facepalm1:: If that's how it works most of the sellers right here in our own forum are being 'greedy'! ::stirthepot::

ZIELSZIEK and apsm100 like this.
  4. ZIELSZIEK May 15, 2020

It happened twice to me, one time was watch related.

I was selling some Seiko movements that I had as spares for watches that I sold: 7005A, a turtle movement and UFO chrono spares.
    A guy called me about the 7005A, he didn't read the description which, was very detailed, including part codes and everything you could want.
    "So, what can you tell me about this movement?"
    Talked to him for 15 minutes, answered all of his questions. I even provided a video of the movement running. He told me that due to the corona crisis he doesn't want to handle cash and that he will pay by wire, if I will ship at my cost. I said sure. I even offered to throw in some extra parts, a case, a new crystal.. all for 25 euro. I wanted to get them out of my storage and fund something else.

He left me hanging for two days, at which point I messaged him to ask if he changed his mind. He was a customer of the same bank branch I am, therefore a transfer could not have taken more than 24 hours(they're usually 2 hours tops, if done by internet)
    He told me I should have already shipped it and that all I want in this life is money and stuff at which point I just blocked him.

watch3s, kip595 and apsm100 like this.
  5. obstando May 15, 2020

No but I did get a job from someone who opted not to buy my watch for a cheaper one and then found the one he had bought didn't work and wanted mine (which was subsequently sold). We got chatting and it transpired our worlds crossed and he hired me for some work

apsm100, wristpirate and ejj like this.
  6. tritto May 15, 2020

I once lost a sale because a guy committed a cardinal sin.
    I listed a rough Seiko 6105 8110 (priced accordingly) and a guy rang me up all excited because he'd finally found one he could afford. I agreed to hold it and he'd pay me when he got home that night. Later on he messaged me all sheepish and apologetic. He had to pull out after he shared his excitement with his wife and she hit the roof that he was going to spend how much on that piece of junk??? Poor fella, I wonder if he ever got his grail?